British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Speedway Promotion or Lack of it.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, gustix said:

Maybe because Question of Sport is only interested in those sports which are attended in reasonable numbers by the sporting public.

4 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Tai only rides in front of decent crowds though, the lowest being his swedish club which is still around 2000 average. And every competitive speedway match he has ridden in, in 2019 has been televised.

And tbf I ve seen badminton and table tennis players on there and they play world champs in front of a couple of hundred people.

The answer in regard to badminton and table tennis and its audiences is simple. Th concept of the sports is the size of the area in which they play - very small. Hence restrictions how far away the TV cameras can be

21 hours ago, TheReturn said:

The first thing I would do on the homepage for non-fans is create a prominent UK map with the words 'find my nearest speedway action', which when clicked opens a clickable map of the UK with each track pinpointed, when clicked it displays stadium details, location, link to fixtures.

Setting that up cannot be beyond the skills and budget of the BSPA? Anyone whose voice is heard by them - please endeavor to get this off the ground for March 2020.

I see so many comments on possible ways to recreate interest in the decreasing interest for speedway I tend to recall the old saying something akin to '...flogging a dead horse...'!

Edited by Guest

I think tea boy does though have a point in that those sports are very low profile. Even if they played out on arenas with a few hundred capacity I haven’t heard that the tickets are in such demand. I know also having seen posters for the table tennis Bundesliga that the adverts are basically local village on lamppost things alongside village fetes etc, not even regional. Go to the next village or town and there is nothing

Some great promoting at Swindon by Lee Kilby, 3 meetings in 8 days, car parks full for all three, decent crowds. With special deals for fans, events, kids stuff. Much better racing since they've altered the track. And Robins top of the league, with cup final to look forward to. Can only see it getting better. Just shows with enthusiasm Barry Bishop on the IOW and  Lee at Swindon can improve crowds.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

Plymouth wont improve crowds ,lack of medical cover causes abandoment after heat 8 last night another nail in the coffin...