British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Normski

Berwick Bandits v Glasgow Tigers CL 10.08.19.@7-00pm

2 minutes ago, jenga said:

thanks , but the motocross/enduro tyre would give too much grip and the riders would not be able to turn/slide the bikes . another option in the so called paddle/sand tyre used in other forms of motocross etc . there are 2 problems with the paddle tyre . one is they churn out huge amounts of dirt/sand or shale  as in this case....  the normal size dirt deflector would be inadequate and the riders behind would be filled in very, very quickly . 

whats your thoughts .

Would they not destroy the tracks though?

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Would they not destroy the tracks though?

almost certainly . in about 2/3 meetings.

good luck to the bandits tonight against my fav team at the moment . stay safe everyone .

Edited by jenga
dont let dick barrie on the mic and dont let him wind up the oppo .

5 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Tosh, they are running a business, the main jobs should be done by the owners and paid staff..  No business should be run on volunteers, however, turn it into a Trust with no ownership, with theTrust running it, then there is scope for volunteers

Name a club at this level of any sport that doesn't rely on volunteers?

1 minute ago, topsoil said:

Name a club at this level of any sport that doesn't rely on volunteers?

That old chestnut is always thrown back, it's a bit like saying Berwick track is the wrong the shape, or, if you complain about track prep, why don't you volunteer if you know better.  It is supposed to be a professional set up, for that you DO NOT NEED volunteers, it becomes a bonus if you get them, but it should run without them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

That old chestnut is always thrown back, it's a bit like saying Berwick track is the wrong the shape, or, if you complain about track prep, why don't you volunteer if you know better.  It is supposed to be a professional set up, for that you DO NOT NEED volunteers, it becomes a bonus if you get them, but it should run without them

Good luck trying to run speedway, or any other sporting club with similar budgets, without volunteers

5 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Maybe an old chestnut but remember this without volunteers there would have been no Berrington Lough and Berwick Speedway would have died in 1982 

Edited by Tellitasitis
  • Like 2

Just now, Tellitasitis said:

Maybe an old chestnut but remember this without volunteers there would have been no Berrington Lough and Speedway would have died in 1982 

Don’t think we are talking about building a track,just a decent Press officer ( volunteer or whoever).

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think we are talking about building a track,just a decent Press officer ( volunteer or whoever).

Dick (if he was responsible for the emails) did a great job with news letters and for some reason it stopped when new promotion took over Since then the clubs news is very much patchy to say the least 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tellitasitis said:

Maybe an old chestnut but remember this without volunteers there would have been no Berrington Lough and Berwick Speedway would have died in 1982 

I am not saying that folk should not volunteer, but, if the club is dependent on volunteers, it is not totally viable in the 1st place.  Would it be fair then that volunteers should have much more  input into how it's operated, as it is those volunteers that secure the life of the sport and are propping something that would otherwise be unviable.

1 minute ago, Tellitasitis said:

Dick (if he was responsible for the emails) did a great job with news letters and for some reason it stopped when new promotion took over Since then the clubs news is very much patchy to say the least 

The Website is bit of a mess IMO.It doesn’t have last weeks result on the fixtures part.There appears to be nothing about Flint injury or replacement,It might be on the Facebook page though.( I don’t do Facebook or twitter)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tellitasitis said:

I agree at the very least its patchy.

24 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Good luck trying to run speedway, or any other sporting club with similar budgets, without volunteers

Berwick Speedway needs volunteers and without them I doubt very much speedway would be able to continue at Berwick and I take my hat off to every single one of them. Problem i have is that every time something is mentioned, poor PR, patchy website, poor track prep etc, you get the response go and help, or go and do better. Its not about that.

4 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Never quite understand why in the UK speedway is off because of rain.  Two sets of tyres for wet or dry conditions, and just get on with it

What about redesigning the bikes....  hovercraft speedway.  I guess it'll never take off.  :unsure: 

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The Website is bit of a mess IMO.It doesn’t have last weeks result on the fixtures part.There appears to be nothing about Flint injury or replacement,It might be on the Facebook page though.( I don’t do Facebook or twitter)

Just been talking to my music tutor about the use of Facebook as a promotional tool, he described as throwing a pebble into an ocean, where it quickly sank to the bottom with all the other pebbles.  It has a place, but in the grand scale of promoting a very small place.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Problem is because the club bosses use Facebook then they assume everyone uses it Then again nothing was posted on Facebook about Leon missing tonight