British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Hunter

Lions v Glasgow 17th August

That was heart breaking for young Sam and us in heat 14 . Definitely a meeting that got away , but I'd happily take Leicester in the play offs 

10 minutes ago, Paulco said:

That was heart breaking for young Sam and us in heat 14 . Definitely a meeting that got away , but I'd happily take Leicester in the play offs 

But on the plus side Sam Jensen looks a good signing

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But on the plus side Sam Jensen looks a good signing

One for next year , he looks a prospect 

Well and truly got out of jail with that win tonight !

Terrible performance from Ty Proctor tonight - looked way off the pace - worrying for the future unless he is riding injured or something?

Mistake IMO to pull the impressive Ellis Perks out and tac sub Scotty in Ht 6 - should,ve targeted Palm Toft with tac sub ( Schlein or Douglas ) in Ht 7 in place of Joe Lawlor ...

Impressed with Rasmus Jensen …. very lucky in Ht 14 after Sam Jensen fell whilst leading ,,,,,,

Ryan out of his depth in Ht 15 albeit no matter ...

Worried about Ty Proctor …..

• Like 2

Well this was an evening of 2 halfs... or should I say 1 half and 2 fifteenths. Oh how I wish I'd left after the first match as so many others did, which was pretty good, the result was in doubt until the very end, lions put on a fighting come back, Scott Nicholls is a joy to watch around BP and Glasgow pretty much threw it away on the last bend of the last lap in heat 14.

So after the first match I was quite looking forward to watching the cubs in action, I've never seen NL racing before so was quite intrigued as to what the standard would be and Cradley, as a long established NL team, I thought was quite a draw.

The Lions promotion had started an hour earlier, and again for the 2nd double header this season ran the first meeting at normal (a snails) pace, with no seeming urgency to get the match completed, no flexibility to do the track grades when there's a natural break, some heats not even being put on 2 minutes and a couple of long gaps between races even when there were no riders having 2 races on the trot. Then we were told that the 2nd meeting would start after a short break... 45 minutes later after a swarm of tractors had tried to polish the turd that is the BP track, and was down to the base again in places, the 2nd meeting started. Well if that is the standard of NL racing, you can keep it. Admittedly I only saw 2 races, but if CL racing is riders following the leader 20 yards apart you can double it for NL. The quality of it didn't seem as good as the old 6 heat style second half's clubs used to run back in the 80's/90's

And then the final nail in the coffin, again for the 2nd time this season, at Leicester inadequate medical cover. I say the 2nd time but it's probably more as the promotion still clearly have learnt nothing from the Redcar match in terms of medical cover and it looks like they're still running with 1 ambulance. They've also learnt nothing from the Sheffield/Stoke double header in terms of the pace of a meeting.

No doubt the usual people will be on here again saying, nothing could be done, the first match was run as fast as possible and that the medical cover is adequate. Does the person that actually runs the meeting live in the same time dimension as the rest of us? Do they not realise that a lot of people use the Tesco BL car park and there is a 4 hour limit? factor in a 15 minute walk to and from the arena, then a double header HAS to be run in under 3 and a half hours Max. It became quite clear after the snails pace first match and then the 45 minute interval that the 2nd meeting was never going to finish as soon as it eventually started, especially with the Cubs running R/R and as soon as I saw the ambulance come onto the track after the heat 3 crash I decided to leave.

It was quite a sad thing to see fans again streaming out of the stadium during a meeting and it's not the first time I've seen this at Leicester. As far as double headers are concerned I will not be attending any more. For the second time this season the Lions fans have been forced to subsidise the cubs and both times the cubs match has not taken place and both times there were quite healthy crowds, many of whom will not return.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paulco said:

One for next year , he looks a prospect 

He can complete the 4h/4a to get an average this season if he rides all our remaining league matches however that would mean Starkey not returning which i dont see.

Would have come to this normally but when it became part of a double header there was no chance ,knowing there was no chance it would get finished and even if it did who wants to stand around at half ten

20 minutes ago, bruno said:

Was it more expensive than normal to get in?

yes £4 more, £20

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Was it more expensive than normal to get in?

£20 , they were babbling on about refunds when we left , but I wasn't really listening . I did worry about the less experienced riders on that 4th bend last night , after what Sam Jensen did in heat 14 , and watching Hume during heat 1 of the NL match only increased my doubts . How he stayed on I'll never know 

Edited by Paulco

It has been said by someone that the 40 minutes taken to prep the track between matches  and the NL riders track walk did not unnecessarily delay proceedings because it took a similar time to remove the CL riders from the pits area and to then install the NL riders who then needed to warm up their bikes. If this is correct and was known about in advance then it is impossible to stage 2 matches in 4 hours and should not have been attempted.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

It has been said by someone that the 40 minutes taken to prep the track between matches  and the NL riders track walk did not unnecessarily delay proceedings because it took a similar time to remove the CL riders from the pits area and to then install the NL riders who then needed to warm up their bikes. If this is correct and was known about in advance then it is impossible to stage 2 matches in 4 hours and should not have been attempted.

I wonder why they need to be in the pit bays to warm the bikes up and this couldn't have been done outside in the paddock area. But like you say 2 matches (30 minutes racing, 90 mins with 2 minute warnings) can't be done in 4 hours, it's been attempted twice, failed both times... at least I'll know in future

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I wonder why they need to be in the pit bays to warm the bikes up and this couldn't have been done outside in the paddock area. But like you say 2 matches (30 minutes racing, 90 mins with 2 minute warnings) can't be done in 4 hours, it's been attempted twice, failed both times... at least I'll know in future

They were never going to get 2 meeting in. Not the way they mess about at Leicester. ..that's why I ,and many others, left after the Glasgow match. 

• Like 1