British Speedway Forum

Surely its time the morons that run speedway in this country banned Cook once and for all. Such an incredible chip on his shoulder for a rider with such minimal talent. Utter clown. 

• Like 5

Careful.....some of our Weegie friends were major Cookie baiters back in 2011 and 12. 

Changed days when he pulls on your colours though.

Yes he is a fantastic talent, and at times way too good  for the Championship, he has won this event twice already, and everything else this league has to offer except the pairs, because he was at Cardiff!

However he can and does get in his own way sometimes and can be petulant it seems from the outside, but let’s be honest, in sport that applies to the majority. 

Cookie only gets the hate because of the jealousy of others. His demise is overrated. 

He remains a legend in these parts, and might just lead the Weggies to the title, joining legends like The Raj and Theo, who won leagues at both ends on the M8. 

Today was not Craig’s day, but he has had and will have many. 

• Like 4

Erik was a deserved winner.

The meeting was too long and drawn out and the fans were let down by some of the riders but comment has to be made about the track.

I've been about five times this season and every time the racing has been rubbish and on three of the occasions there has been rumblings in the pits about the state of the track.

Now, I'm no expert, but there hasn't been a meeting at Sheffield for a week and the weather has been ok, so why a good racing track can't be prepared for a meeting of that magnitude, I have no idea.

Speedway is on its backside at the moment in this country but riders who can't be bothered and poor track preparation are issues that need to be addressed.

• Like 3

Just in from Owlerton - my first speedway meeting in three seasons. Didn't see anything to tempt me to go more often. Racing way too processional to be interesting.

Crowd looked about 1,500. So, pretty poor. Unsurprising, though, given Edward Kennett, Scott Nicholls and Charles Wright were late withdrawals. Not thrilled, either, to discover Owlerton's first bend terracing is now out of bounds.

Defending champion Craig Cook should hang his head in shame. A big meeting like this, and a so-called professional speedway rider cannot prepare a bike capable of lasting a lap? Pathetic. Not what we paid £20 for!

Glad Erik Riss won the Grand Final, especially off the unfavoured inside gate.

Nought out of ten to Sheffield Speedway, who, despite this meeting starting at 5pm, wouldn't allow anybody to take food into the stadium. Not everyone, Sheffield Speedway, wants to eat the sort of tasteless, overpriced fast food invariably served up at speedway meetings. Wake up. It's 2019!

Overall, poor value for money. But that's speedway all over these days, isn't it? No wonder its fan base is down to the hard core.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 8

Time to move this meeting to Manchester.

I last attended in 2011 and like Piotr vowed not to go back as the organisation was dire then and it seems to have gone backwards since.

A meeting of this stature should be at Belle Vue......and maybe the night before Cardiff, since Somerset via the M5 is now out of bounds unless you have a helicopter. !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Get your head out his backside he’s acted unprofessional again today. 

Apart from not scoring very well, I'm guessing due to mechanical issues, what's he done wrong?

13 minutes ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

Time to move this meeting to Manchester.

I last attended in 2011 and like Piotr vowed not to go back as the organisation was dire then and it seems to have gone backwards since.

A meeting of this stature should be at Belle Vue......and maybe the night before Cardiff, since Somerset via the M5 is now out of bounds unless you have a helicopter. !!

If it was held at Belle Vue on a Saturday night then there's a chance I and a few others might be more interested in attending 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Trees said:

Apart from not scoring very well, I'm guessing due to mechanical issues, what's he done wrong?

There was nothing wrong with his equipment.  He didn't fancy the track apparently and there is word his ban might kick in soon so maybe that contributed to the toys coming out of the pram.

I've defended him in the past but he was thoroughly unprofessional today which, according to what Cook bangs on about constantly, is completely against the Glasgow ethos.

One of the most poorly run meetings I've ever attended. 13 heats run in two hours. In the meantime I watched 10 heats from Zielona Gora on my phone in half the amount of time whilst waiting for something to happen at Owlerton.

The great thing about not having a team anymore is that you can make a decision to never go to a track ever again and stick to it without feeling guilty.

• Like 2

Every year after this meeting the reports are that it’s processional dross. I went a few weeks ago for the first time since in about 7 years & couldn’t believe how bad the track was, it looked more like a ploughed field. I’ll never waste my money there again. About time this was shifted to a decent race track. 

19 minutes ago, CB252 said:

There was nothing wrong with his equipment.  He didn't fancy the track apparently and there is word his ban might kick in soon so maybe that contributed to the toys coming out of the pram.

I've defended him in the past but he was thoroughly unprofessional today which, according to what Cook bangs on about constantly, is completely against the Glasgow ethos.

Think the screw is working loose again.

Another bad day for speedway it seems. Well done to Riss, but one or two others need to think of their actions were in the best interests of the sport (effectively their employers).

There is a reason Cook struggles to find top teams especially in Poland and Sweden and its because of his attitude. There are many riders who ride in both Poland and Sweden who are far less talented than Cook but dint come with the baggage. Belle Vue got shot of him for exactly the same issues that he showed today. Attitude !!!! There were loads of fans that had travelled from Glasgow and other places including Workington to support Craig today for him to spit his dummy out yet again. Shocking behaviour he was only just about going through the motions coming out last from the pits in his first three rides showing no commitment at all pretending to do them starts then disappears from the pits. He should be fined for that today. In fact should he not be banned at the minute anyway ? What's happened to that incident ? He totally made himself look a right t@at today.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is correct but there was reports going round after the meeting that Craig had his SCB hearing this afternoon before the meeting and that may have been the reason for his performance.

What I do know was that SCB chairman Jim Lawrence was in attendance along with other SCB appeal members Mick Bates and Rob Godfrey  as was the SCB administrator so there may well have been some truth in these reports.

If correct I expect a statement in the morning as obviously he will not be at Wolverhampton for Kings Lynn on Monday night.