British Speedway Forum

One of the riders said that the payment for yesterday was a flat £250 per rider who did not make the top 6. No travel money.

Rich Lawson got 9 points, so less than £30 a point.

Scott Nichols opted to pull out and in the interests of the sport and his personal health, should now be given 28 days off ( ban) to recover from his back injury.

Promotors, there were many, stood laughing and joking around the pit fence for most of the meeting should take responsibility for their riders and should not be allowed a facility for riders who crap on the paying public. 

Lots of riders did not want to ride, were told they must do three races or come to the tapes 3 times in Craig’s masterclass of mischief and p ss taking. At least after the 3rd one he did not pretend to have a bike issue.

Sheffield is a pale shadow of its former standing in the sport, Tatum said in programme he thinks Sheffield should be in top league, Bates said its one of if not THE best venue in Britain and all year ( maybe longer ) fans have been saying the one thing you really need is a decent racetrack. The stadium improvements around the first bend are not the speedway people’s doing, but the race track is.

Noticed it said in programme track curator is Stewart Dickson. Where was he ?

agree with others I will not go again if it is at Sheffield.

• Like 2

Completely unconfirmed report but seen elsewhere written that Cook blew 2 engines.

Wasn't there myself as been disapointed to often at Sheffield recently to bother going back.  

Agree with other comments on here that this and other top meetings for that matter should be at the NSS, not quite sure why it was called this really. Only two sides open at the stadium, in excess of 3 hours standing on sloping concrete does zilch for your back, people openly smoking on turn 4 with not a steward to be seen, track not great, some riders attitude showed no respect for the paying public, really some of these guys need to look at their attitude because they are contributing to the demise of the sport from which they make a living.

This title doesn't appear to have the prestige with riders or the BSPA that it once had which is a shame. Well done Erik Riss a deserving winner from a small band who really looked like they wanted to be there. Like others I won't be back if it's held at Owlerton again.

To think, this meeting was originally moved from Hackney to Wimbledon, because the capacity at the wick was a mere 13,000!

1 hour ago, Cj69 said:

Completely unconfirmed report but seen elsewhere written that Cook blew 2 engines.

Wasn't there myself as been disapointed to often at Sheffield recently to bother going back.  

On bspa site it says he wasnt well with an illness guess we will never know , but if its personel who are we to judge .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Nought out of ten to Sheffield Speedway, who, despite this meeting starting at 5pm, wouldn't allow anybody to take food into the stadium. Not everyone, Sheffield Speedway, wants to eat the sort of tasteless, overpriced fast food invariably served up at speedway meetings. Wake up. It's 2019!

I think that's down to the Stadium owners, rather than Sheffield Speedway.  

It happened a few years ago and Neil Machin (the then promoter at Sheffield) came out to sort it out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I think that's down to the Stadium owners, rather than Sheffield Speedway.  

It happened a few years ago and Neil Machin (the then promoter at Sheffield) came out to sort it out.

To the casual, occasional visitor, the stadium and the speedway club are one and the same. I'm afraid, as an excuse, "it's down to the stadium owners" won't wash. We'll never go to Sheffield Speedway again. Sorted.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

To the casual, occasional visitor, the stadium and the speedway club are one and the same. I'm afraid, as an excuse, "it's down to the stadium owners" won't wash. We'll never go to Sheffield Speedway again. Sorted.

I thought all stadium were very much the same - no food or drink policy. Make you buy from the stadium - no matter who owns or rents it- thats the business side of it.  Now the safety side - If food and drinks were allowed I would think there would be more bags to search (security in this modern age and security searches cost money), and especially drinks in glass bottles or glass drinking receptacles are considered a potentially dangerous weapon ie broken glass can cut throats. Sounds crazy but we live in that society now and speedway fans are not immune from it.

I can remember our visits to Cardiff in 2013-14-15, certainly the last 2 years it was full bag search. And recently I been to a city centre venue for a 3 day convention, and it was full bag search every day as you enter, and if you go out at lunch time and come back carrying a bag again it was full bag search. These were security checks, we had a concession re food/drink. but the bag search was checking for any sort og glass as well.

Its all a pain, but thats the world we live in at this moment.  If at an event where anything could be brought in without security and something bad did happen the cry would be "where was the security checks, security checks would have stopped them".

Edited by OveFundinFan

35 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

On bspa site it says he wasnt well with an illness guess we will never know , but if its personel who are we to judge .

its a new illness that seems to recently have appread with some riders,and i say some as that is the case

I have no idea where this GrippyTrackitus came from

Cook needs to have a long hard look in the mirror this morning

Cook is a w@nker , end of. 

So far we’ve had blown engines, an illness, unhappiness with track, unhappiness with the pay on offer and the fact that he’s about to be banned having had his hearing yesterday. I wonder which one is closest to the truth? 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I thought all stadium were very much the same - no food or drink policy. Make you buy from the stadium - no matter who owns or rents it- thats the business side of it.  Now the safety side - If food and drinks were allowed I would think there would be more bags to search (security in this modern age and security searches cost money), and especially drinks in glass bottles or glass drinking receptacles are considered a potentially dangerous weapon ie broken glass can cut throats. Sounds crazy but we live in that society now and speedway fans are not immune from it.

I can remember our visits to Cardiff in 2013-14-15, certainly the last 2 years it was full bag search. And recently I been to a city centre venue for a 3 day convention, and it was full bag search every day as you enter, and if you go out at lunch time and come back carrying a bag again it was full bag search. These were security checks, we had a concession re food/drink. but the bag search was checking for any sort og glass as well.

Its all a pain, but thats the world we live in at this moment.  If at an event where anything could be brought in without security and something bad did happen the cry would be "where was the security checks, security checks would have stopped them".

Unfortunately the world we live in today is a world where the ordinary man (and woman) is fleeced in the name of anti-terrorism

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

So far we’ve had blown engines, an illness, unhappiness with track, unhappiness with the pay on offer and the fact that he’s about to be banned having had his hearing yesterday. I wonder which one is closest to the truth? 

He didn't blow any engines and he wasn't ill.  The other three things probably had a bearing.

This is British Speedway, we'll never know the truth. We're not worthy of it.

Sad, pathetic sport run by a bunch of old dinosaurs wearing their sad git BSPA tie and blazer combinations.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, iainb said:

Unfortunately the world we live in today is a world where the ordinary man (and woman) is fleeced in the name of anti-terrorism

I understand well what you are saying, and there are opportunists in all walks of life, but terrorism is in the dark, you dont know when or where it will strike, but when it does it is extremely destructive. It wont be completely stopped, but a lot can be done to protect innocent people - ordinary men, women, children, just wanting to get on with a simple peaceful life and enjoy themselves.

41 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The likes of Cook et al won't get paid at all when, as seems inevitable, some time in the very near future, they turn up to race at an empty stadium - and are left wondering: why doesn't anybody want to watch my sport any more? If the riders so obviously don't give a toss, why should anybody else?

• Like 3