British Speedway Forum

I walked in with a rucksack full of food and drink and it wasn't even checked.

I kind of wish I'd been stopped and refused entry as it would have saved me from the three and bit hours of torture that followed.

• Haha 2

Just now, CB252 said:

I walked in with a rucksack full of food and drink and it wasn't even checked.

I kind of wish I'd been stopped and refused entry as it would have saved me from the three and bit hours of torture that followed.

That's the point. The goon stewards couldn't be bothered checking every bag. They had about as much commitment to their job as most of the riders.

Being biased moving it to the NSS would help. 

But for me. It needs to be moved to redcar. Great track. Great facilities. And it runs smoothly there. 

Regarding yesterday  I haven't been all year because of the racing that's now on offer. I said I wont attend but went against myself and took the plunge. Wish I hadnt bothered. 

Track dreadful. Give the riders something to race on and they will race. 

I heard that a few riders threatened to pull out unless the sorted the track. Riders diddnt have the confidence to go near another rider due to the track. That was until the last few races. 

The CRC has definitely ran its course at sheffield. If it was a animal it would be put out of its misery. 

• Like 2

And the money on offer for the riders is disgraceful, especially when you provide them With a dangerous track. 

• Like 1

Walked in with a full rucksack of food and drink.     Well there you are, now you know why only 1300 were in attendance, another 3000 were in the queue to get in, saw there was no security checks and turned away went home.  They missed all the good racing.   :D

Edited by OveFundinFan

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

I thought all stadium were very much the same - no food or drink policy. Make you buy from the stadium - no matter who owns or rents it- thats the business side of it.  Now the safety side - If food and drinks were allowed I would think there would be more bags to search (security in this modern age and security searches cost money), and especially drinks in glass bottles or glass drinking receptacles are considered a potentially dangerous weapon ie broken glass can cut throats. Sounds crazy but we live in that society now and speedway fans are not immune from it.

I can remember our visits to Cardiff in 2013-14-15, certainly the last 2 years it was full bag search. And recently I been to a city centre venue for a 3 day convention, and it was full bag search every day as you enter, and if you go out at lunch time and come back carrying a bag again it was full bag search. These were security checks, we had a concession re food/drink. but the bag search was checking for any sort og glass as well.

Its all a pain, but thats the world we live in at this moment.  If at an event where anything could be brought in without security and something bad did happen the cry would be "where was the security checks, security checks would have stopped them".

From my own personal experience that's well wide of the mark. I've been to 14 tracks this season. Of those Sheffield and Belle Vue were the only venues that stopped you taking food and drink into the stadium. I also attend a lot of premiership football matches, none have stopped me taking my own items in with me. Speedway needs every punter it can get. Alienating those few that still go will cost the stadium owners long term.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Being biased moving it to the NSS would help. 

But for me. It needs to be moved to redcar. Great track. Great facilities. And it runs smoothly there. 

Regarding yesterday  I haven't been all year because of the racing that's now on offer. I said I wont attend but went against myself and took the plunge. Wish I hadnt bothered. 

Track dreadful. Give the riders something to race on and they will race. 

I heard that a few riders threatened to pull out unless the sorted the track. Riders diddnt have the confidence to go near another rider due to the track. That was until the last few races. 

The CRC has definitely ran its course at sheffield. If it was a animal it would be put out of its misery. 

Needs to go back to a Saturday night meeting like it was when raced at Wimbledon and Coventry. Used to be a big occasion them days a Miss National League Speedway contest and even best dressed bus. Mind there were only 2 buses there yesterday I think ours {Berwick} and Glasgow lol. Lack of a major sponsor doesn't help either little wonder the riders are not happy with money aspect. We were at Sheffield for league match 15 heats done between 4-00pm and 5-15pm an extra 7 heats yesterday took almost another 2 hours unreal.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

So far we’ve had blown engines, an illness, unhappiness with track, unhappiness with the pay on offer and the fact that he’s about to be banned having had his hearing yesterday. I wonder which one is closest to the truth? 

Piles

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

I thought all stadium were very much the same - no food or drink policy. Make you buy from the stadium - no matter who owns or rents it- thats the business side of it.  Now the safety side - If food and drinks were allowed I would think there would be more bags to search (security in this modern age and security searches cost money), and especially drinks in glass bottles or glass drinking receptacles are considered a potentially dangerous weapon ie broken glass can cut throats. Sounds crazy but we live in that society now and speedway fans are not immune from it.

I can remember our visits to Cardiff in 2013-14-15, certainly the last 2 years it was full bag search. And recently I been to a city centre venue for a 3 day convention, and it was full bag search every day as you enter, and if you go out at lunch time and come back carrying a bag again it was full bag search. These were security checks, we had a concession re food/drink. but the bag search was checking for any sort og glass as well.

Its all a pain, but thats the world we live in at this moment.  If at an event where anything could be brought in without security and something bad did happen the cry would be "where was the security checks, security checks would have stopped them".

Not true in general.

I travel widely and there are very few places where I have problems. I took a tuna fish sandwich, fruit & tomatoes (both home grown), a cereal bar and fizzy pop into Sheffield without problems for the NL pairs.

The only place where I get a regular thorough bag check is Kent and they allow food in. 

The only places I see a problem with are Birminghan (although they don't do bag searches and I have never been challenged sitting in the grandstand eating my subway branded sarnie.) and Belle Vue (even that is improving, fruit and a bottle of pop usually pass thru security without comment). [I believe King's Lynn is also problematical, but I don't go there often enough to pass comment on their practices.]

I gave yesterday a miss too cause I've seen too many disappointing riders championships at Sheffield . Seems yesterday carried on that tradition . 

It's a shame cause back in the nineties Sheffield was a great track . 

It was a damp squib the last time a top league track hosted our riders championship ( Swindon 2006) , but Belle Vue on a Saturday night might just be the thing to breathe new life into it 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Piles

and where are piles at in the human body ?

going back to the bag search for food . the way around this is to tell the bog searchers that you are type 2 diabetic . they have to let you in with food in case you have a funny doo . 

they (steward) will have to carry the can  for you having a wee dizzy spell , then they have to pay for their actions if they take the fizzy drink/food/chocolate off you . its the only means of a life line when the sugar drops !   you can even go into a shop and munch on something sweet or drink while still in the shop . but you must pay for it upon leaving . went to sheffield years ago for the PLRC as it was called then cant even robbed us of our premier league name . took them 10 years to come to terms it was not Elite anymore .track was gash then , more like a track full of cannonballs . nothing seems to have changed then . 

paying public take one on the chin for the benefit of the mad dogs at the top table again ..

move it to the N.S.S. to keep it alive .............

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I understand well what you are saying, and there are opportunists in all walks of life, but terrorism is in the dark, you dont know when or where it will strike, but when it does it is extremely destructive. It wont be completely stopped, but a lot can be done to protect innocent people - ordinary men, women, children, just wanting to get on with a simple peaceful life and enjoy themselves.

I well remember being behind a small girl, about 7 or 8, getting in at Cardiff a few years back and the stewards making her snap the pole off of her flag... because obviously she was smuggling it in for somebody to build a bomb out of once she was in there:rofl:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Get your head out his backside he’s acted unprofessional again today. 

From reading about the withdrawals, the quality of racing, the state of the track and the length of time it took to run the meeting..

It looks like a few were 'unprofessional'.. :rolleyes:

It's a great sport when done well..

Sadly for far too many times in this country it isn't done well..

A 'showpiece event' too which should be a standard bearer for the domestic league.. ? :(

Surely someone in authority must see what they presently deliver is no where near good enough to ever be a success? :unsure:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It could and should be a fantastic meeting. Even with the withdrawals, that's still a terrific line up.

Part of the problem is that they have had to have 'extensive track work' after heat 8. That's simply not good enough.

Have to agree,even though the racing was marginally better towards the end,the earlier heats were very processional.track not been the same since Grahame Trollope stopped doing it and never will be.i do know why he won't be doing it anymore but won,t comment any further.hard luck Danny,so close and a special mention for zaine who didn't look out of his depth at all.great crowd and a great atmosphere which deserved a much better riding surface.

• Like 1