British Speedway Forum

From a speedway standpoint the snag is rugby and cycling attract a few more to a meeting than the average 1,000 who watch a British speedway meeting!

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Agree entirely...and damn cycling!

can't do with cycling , the rules are almost as complicated as speedway . and the cheating is endemic , hate golf as well , mention of it is banned in my house ,punishable by expulsion .

5 minutes ago, adonis said:

can't do with cycling , the rules are almost as complicated as speedway . and the cheating is endemic , hate golf as well , mention of it is banned in my house ,punishable by expulsion .

...and athletics...and darts...and most sports come to that (if darts can be classed as a sport?)

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...and athletics...and darts...and most sports come to that (if darts can be classed as a sport?)

I once had speedway described - and it has been many times - as 'four men on noisy motorbikes riding round in a circle for about a minute'! And I emphasise not my opinion!

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Darts sport, game or otherwise is proof that a simple concept but well marketed can draw huge amounts or viewers & spectators.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Darts sport, game or otherwise is proof that a simple concept but well marketed can draw huge amounts or viewers & spectators.

I used to play darts but watch it? Not for me!

54 minutes ago, gustix said:

I once had speedway described - and it has been many times - as 'four men on noisy motorbikes riding round in a circle for about a minute'! And I emphasise not my opinion!

Which sums the sport up beautifully and held my interest for over thirty years travelling home and abroad...each to their own.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

From a speedway standpoint the snag is rugby and cycling attract a few more to a meeting than the average 1,000 who watch a British speedway meeting!

From a spectating viewpoint I personally don't enjoy watching most sports. As previously mentioned I can't stand rugby having being forced to play the game. I was a keen leisure cyclist but to watch a mass of sweaty people on bikes passing one given point? No interest at all and only see it as causing massive inconvenience for those wishing to go about their daily business... but as I've said each to their own.

25 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

From a spectating viewpoint I personally don't enjoy watching most sports. As previously mentioned I can't stand rugby having being forced to play the game. I was a keen leisure cyclist but to watch a mass of sweaty people on bikes passing one given point? No interest at all and only see it as causing massive inconvenience for those wishing to go about their daily business... but as I've said each to their own.

At one time early in my sports reporting era I was given the task of covering stadium cycle racing at Herne Hill Stadium in south London.

This was circuit cycle racing and much different to cycle road racing. The  races were over several laps and featured up to 20 riders sometimes. They were extremely competitive and action packed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gustix said:

At one time early in my sports reporting era I was given the task of covering stadium cycle racing at Herne Hill Stadium in south London.

This was circuit cycle racing and much different to cycle road racing. The  races were over several laps and featured up to 20 riders sometimes. They were extremely competitive and action packed.

Yes I can certainly see the interest in watching cycling on an oval track where the action takes place right in front of you...but road cycling? Just don't see it personally.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I think that's largely down to the ridiculous prize money . if they were playing down the pub for the next round .nobody would be interested , same with who wants to be a millionaire , seriously who would put up with all that bull$hit from  clarkson for an hour  if it wasn't for the chance of the big purse .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, adonis said:

I think that's largely down to the ridiculous prize money . if they were playing down the pub for the next round .nobody would be interested , same with who wants to be a millionaire , seriously who would put up with all that bull$hit from  clarkson for an hour  if it wasn't for the chance of the big purse .

In that respect yes the reality is that the televised events and those that draw the mega crowds are effectively GP level events (if searching for a Speedway comparison) except that events captivate fans for days and sometimes weeks at a time, players are encouraged to entertain and create persona's to market their own self brand.   

There is plenty of out of sight action that takes place to get into the top 16/32/64 but what you do end up with is the actual best in the world showing what they can do. 

21 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In that respect yes the reality is that the televised events and those that draw the mega crowds are effectively GP level events (if searching for a Speedway comparison) except that events captivate fans for days and sometimes weeks at a time, players are encouraged to entertain and create persona's to market their own self brand.   

There is plenty of out of sight action that takes place to get into the top 16/32/64 but what you do end up with is the actual best in the world showing what they can do. 

sounds like your'e a fan . sings4darts .:D

2 hours ago, adonis said:

sounds like your'e a fan . sings4darts .:D

Big fan watching & playing but the forums are terrible. If you thought speedway was bad how about trawling through 17 pages of how a new board type is good/bad or how air humidity can effect the arc of certain flight shapes .  

• Like 1

England v USA at 11.45 today, should be a 30 point win, before the 2 big group games against the Argies and Cocks. Great win by Uruguay.