Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Matt Dawson has been quoted as saying that he knew what he was letting himself in for when he decided on a career playing rugby and has no intentions questioning the relevant authorities over recent issues highlighted.

It's not for me to say what Matt Dawson experienced. But I would imagine there are a fair few who spent 20 years smashing themselves to pieces in the forwards whose might feel a scrum half can't really speak for them. As I understand it, the case is more about protecting players of the future.

On the one hand, rugby is a game that really gives a lot beyond pure sport to its participants. I don't think any sport can rival it for nurturing camaraderie, sportsmanship, character and life-long friendships. On the other hand, the players have become much bigger, stronger and the hits have got harder and harder. The evidence is now clear on the long-term physical and mental damage the sport is causing participants.

I have a seven-year-old twins and five years ago, I would have loved them to have got into rugby -more than any other sport - for all of the positive reasons above . But now, I'm reluctant to. Instead we run, swim, play cricket, football and golf. I doubt if I'm alone among parents and that's a big problem for rugby.

Young people...and particularly young men... rarely think in the long-term and the sport has to protect them for their own good, based on the science they now have at their disposal.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, falcace said:

It's not for me to say what Matt Dawson experienced. But I would imagine there are a fair few who spent 20 years smashing themselves to pieces in the forwards whose might feel a scrum half can't really speak for them. As I understand it, the case is more about protecting players of the future.

On the one hand, rugby is a game that really gives a lot beyond pure sport to its participants. I don't think any sport can rival it for nurturing camaraderie, sportsmanship, character and life-long friendships. On the other hand, the players have become much bigger, stronger and the hits have got harder and harder. The evidence is now clear on the long-term physical and mental damage the sport is causing participants.

I have a seven-year-old twins and five years ago, I would have loved them to have got into rugby -more than any other sport - for all of the positive reasons above . But now, I'm reluctant to. Instead we run, swim, play cricket, football and golf. I doubt if I'm alone among parents and that's a big problem for rugby.

Young people...and particularly young men... rarely think in the long-term and the sport has to protect them for their own good, based on the science they now have at their disposal.

 

I agree totally. It's a very different game to what it was when I was growing up. Perhaps it should gp the way of American Football with all the protective gear although I personally feel that the essence of the sport would be lost?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well after the first weekend it looks like the French teams might be taking up a few spots in the QF 

Exeter cracking on but few of the English sides struggling and with the new format losing your first game and your pretty much had it.

Interesting to see Diamond has left Sale and if he left or the club pushed him? 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, Lefty said:

Many years ago I was in a group doing ground hopping around other sports. Once we took in Oldham vs Leigh at the 'Shedding's.  The conditions were poor with rain cascading everywhere. There was an incident when a player 'mysteriously' fell to the floor. The referee was looking around very bemused. Then a shout came from the crowd, "Bloody hell Ref ... What do you expect ... 'Piggy' 'bloody' Fletcher is on the pitch!". We followed Leigh after that and loved the memories it gave us. The Watersheddings is always fondly remembered for the joy and experience it gave us.

LobbyGobblers(Leigh)back in Super League 2021:unsure: So much expanding RL boundaries:rolleyes:

Edited by bluejam

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Richspeedway said:

Well after the first weekend it looks like the French teams might be taking up a few spots in the QF 

Exeter cracking on but few of the English sides struggling and with the new format losing your first game and your pretty much had it.

Interesting to see Diamond has left Sale and if he left or the club pushed him? 

French teams were awesome in the 1st round of ER games I have to say:t:

Was looking forward to a visit to the Stoop this Sunday(a hospitality ticket too) for Quins v Racing 92,but with London area having a more than likely tier upgrade,it doesn't look like I'll be going:rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

Well after the first weekend it looks like the French teams might be taking up a few spots in the QF 

Exeter cracking on but few of the English sides struggling and with the new format losing your first game and your pretty much had it.

Interesting to see Diamond has left Sale and if he left or the club pushed him? 

Given the wealth of resources in the French and English games, you would think their teams would make up the majority of the quarter finals, probably along with Leinster and maybe another surprise packet from the PRO14.

I must admit I really like the Champions Cup. Probably a lot more than the Six Nations. There's something special about a Champions Cup tie under the Irish lights, entertaining one of the giants from the Top 14 / Premiership. Every season which goes by I can't help but think what speedway could have had (obviously not now). Swindon v Vastervik, Belle Vue v Leszno, Wolves v Slangerup. A stepping stone between the domestic leagues and World Cup / Grand Prix, getting to see riders in the flesh you would only see on TV. Ah well, I can dream.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think it is better this season with the added rule of you do not play a team from your league.

Shame that Bluejam it does look like it will be off limits. What I did not get was Bristol had no crowd but Bath did? Guess Bristol must be in tier 3.

Saw the RWC draw and not bad for England with Japan and the Pumas. Wales have Fiji and the Aussies, Ireland and Scotland have the Springboks.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

I think it is better this season with the added rule of you do not play a team from your league.

Shame that Bluejam it does look like it will be off limits. What I did not get was Bristol had no crowd but Bath did? Guess Bristol must be in tier 3.

Saw the RWC draw and not bad for England with Japan and the Pumas. Wales have Fiji and the Aussies, Ireland and Scotland have the Springboks.

Got to agree with you Rich regarding not playing a team from your league.Makes for a more open comp.imo.

Gutted regarding Sunday indeed.:( 

Bristol is in South Gloucestershire,please correct me if I'm wrong and Bath is in North East Somerset.Weren't they both cities in Avon not so long ago:unsure:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, bluejam said:

Got to agree with you Rich regarding not playing a team from your league.Makes for a more open comp.imo.

Gutted regarding Sunday indeed.:( 

Bristol is in South Gloucestershire,please correct me if I'm wrong and Bath is in North East Somerset.Weren't they both cities in Avon not so long ago:unsure:

It's now the City and County of Bristol. South Gloucestershire is Kingswood, Yate, etc.,Weston-super-Mud is North Zummerzet, all Tier 3. Bath/NE Zummerzet is tier 2. I think many years ago South of the river in Brizzle was Zummerzet, north was Gloucestershire. As you said it all came under Avon, from 74-96.Now 4 authorities, over 1 million peeps.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well last weekends games had a slight hit and so far Bath v Irish and Tigers v Falcons are off :(

Hopefully have some games to watch Boxing Day while picking through the nibbles and snacks :D

Share this post


Link to post

So the next couple of weekends will now be quiet as the European competitions are postponed. Watching Rugby Tonight a good idea came out to fill those weeks with the Premiership games that were cancelled due to the virus so then these can be played and points given out for a proper result.

The Women's Six Nations has been pushed back to April and not heard anything about the Men's tournament yet. I think the best solution would be to cancel the Lions tour as without the crowds or being able to play in South Africa I cannot see the point but I guess for TV and commercial reasons this will be played over here or another way so that it goes ahead.

Share this post


Link to post

Great game between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I see Paul Gustard has left Quins after 2 and half years by mutual consent. Quins since Paul joined seem to have pretty much stayed where they were before maybe even took slight step back. Not sure who will be in the frame to take over but it is a bit of a rebuild time for Quins as some senior players have moved on recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55738219

Share this post


Link to post

Six Nations starts this weekend looking forward to it but hoping it more than just a kicking game like the Autumn Cup. Going to stick my neck out and prob be totally wrong but I am going to go for France to win the tournament with England a close second

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

Six Nations starts this weekend looking forward to it but hoping it more than just a kicking game like the Autumn Cup. Going to stick my neck out and prob be totally wrong but I am going to go for France to win the tournament with England a close second

I don’t mind kicking for territory.

In fact I think it’s under used, and line out specialists should be selected as just that rather than as alternative number 8s.

A sensible kicking game is quite different from England’s ridiculous “crash ball and kick” in the Autumn, which was both ineffective and awful to watch.  We might as well have had fifteen forwards. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy