British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oldswindonsupporter

Somerset v Edinburgh

Was planning to be there tonight, with the amount of rain this morning in South Gloucestershire, I was wondering whether it the same fell at the Oak Tree Arena an d if so, the likelihood of it being up, anyone closer able to update?

The weather forecast that I'm looking at doesn't show any more rain for Highbridge until tomorrow morning and I would expect that if it was going to be postponed as a result of rain that has already fallen then an announcement would have been made by now. On that basis I'm going to be setting off shortly from the Midlands. Although I did find myself in a similar situation for the Scunthorpe meeting when I got there only to find out that it had been postponed whilst I was travelling. As per the above post, any information from anyone close to Highbridge would be appreciated.

Agree with your logic and the weather although it is still raining at my work location. However, as has happened before, a heavy wet track doesn't do anybody any favours, riders protest, lengthy track work ensues, spectators become pissed off waiting. And then when racing starts, follow my leader stuff and called off shortly after.

Decision at the moment is erring on the side of staying at home.

Birmingham is now off.

It looks like the bad weather that was forecast for the South West has passed through a bit earlier than expected and is now over Birmingham and the Midlands. I can't disagree about your comments about the quality of the racing, but I have been to some meetings at the OTA where there has been some entertaining racing after rain earlier in the day rather than just before the meeting, particularly the latter races. If there's enough time since the last rain for the track to dry out a bit and with some good track preparation I see no reason why we shouldn't see some good racing tonight.  In the past meetings have been called off on the basis of a poor weather forecast which has not always materialised, so I guess the promotion are going to get criticised whatever decision they make.

Love these first four posts!  TonyO being a realistic optimist and OSS being a glass-half-empty old groaner.....

Forums, eh?

Edited by crescent girl
  • Haha 1

It's not raining at the moment and all forecasts are saying no rain until 2am. I would expect the track to produce some good racing later if we don't get anymore rain!!

• Haha 1

Not half empty at all, when faced with £40 outlay to see processional racing and or track preparation hasn't been good enough so there is a delay or no racing at all, the lure of crap on the TV and few glasses of wine outweighs that

Now you give me £40 and the glass can filled. My money and my choice plus been caught out several times before at Somerset, so caution applies.

51 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Love these first four posts!  TonyO being a realistic optimist and OSS being a glass-half-empty old groaner.....

Forums, eh?

You are under no obligation to partake. :blink:

15 minutes ago, oldswindonsupporter said:

Not half empty at all, when faced with £40 outlay to see processional racing and or track preparation hasn't been good enough so there is a delay or no racing at all, the lure of crap on the TV and few glasses of wine outweighs that

Now you give me £40 and the glass can filled. My money and my choice plus been caught out several times before at Somerset, so caution applies.

" track preparation hasn't been good enough" or should that read not to the Roo Boys liking?  

Remember there's normally a convenient drying wind @ the OTA to benefit  track preparation, so should be on & should be good racing. 

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Forums, eh?

I know imagine fans wanting weather info so they can decide if they want to part with there 40 quid.

Fans eh.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Forums, eh?

Looks like the right decision was made!

Wouldn't have left until 18:30 so we wouldn't have been going anyway.

On 8/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, crescent girl said:

Forums, eh?

You won’t find many realistic optimist’s in the sport nowadays ,and you can’t blame them.OSS is spot on ,more so when Schlein is around.