British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Crusader

Mildenhall v Kent 18th Aug

Bit early for this I suppose but there has been a preview of sorts from Kent. Would be nice to see the team and riding order. Take it that Clouting will be at reserve and Dan at 3 or 5. Why are we entertaining Luke Barnes again, thought he was out of his depth and machinery not up to standard? Where's Jake Mulford ?

• Like 1

Only Rowe, jenkins & Gilkes riding from the original Kent line up that started the season. It's been a terrible season for injuries at Central Park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Crusader said:

Bit early for this I suppose but there has been a preview of sorts from Kent. Would be nice to see the team and riding order. Take it that Clouting will be at reserve and Dan at 3 or 5. Why are we entertaining Luke Barnes again, thought he was out of his depth and machinery not up to standard? Where's Jake Mulford ?

Clouting has to be at reserve alongside an unattached rider. Mulford is still injured as far as I’m aware. 

• Like 1

I get the feeling that Kent / the Mulfords are protecting his average for next year? Doubt we will see much of him before the play offs.  The Barnes choice is another terrible decision and will yield terrible results. Not sure what the deal is at present but a few of the riders who turned down the Monday meeting at short notice now appear to have been black listed completely.

I dont think we can hold jake back to much as it stands a couple of defeats to Mildenhall and Belle Vue Monday would leave qualification for the play offs no means a certainty.

55 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

I dont think we can hold jake back to much as it stands a couple of defeats to Mildenhall and Belle Vue Monday would leave qualification for the play offs no means a certainty.

Providing he has a contract signed for next season to be included in the side whatever his average it should be no problem. The fact is that Mulford like Ablitt next season when he returns will be able to pick whatever team he likes on a 2.00 average (unless the rules are fiddled with again) but if he ends the year on 4+ which is quite likely its a different story.

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

What originally looked like win bankers for Kent now look quite the opposite. With Gilkes no longer at reserve and both Ablitt and Mulford seemingly unavailable (at least for some

of the matches), while Ledwith is still out there is no certainty of any points.  Have just heard that Kemp won the Under 19 at Redcar.  Well done to him.

32 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

What originally looked like win bankers for Kent now look quite the opposite. With Gilkes no longer at reserve and both Ablitt and Mulford seemingly unavailable (at least for some

of the matches), while Ledwith is still out there is no certainty of any points.  Have just heard that Kemp won the Under 19 at Redcar.  Well done to him.

Even if Kent fail to win any of the matches against Mildenhall or Belle Vue they still look to have enough points on the board to finish inside the top 4. Of the chasing pack IOW face tough Belle Vue & Leicester sides at home, Cradley have a run away fixtures against Leicester, Belle Vue & Plymouth which seems unlikely to generate any points although should they better Plymouth at home it could mean that Cradley vs Kent in the last fixture decides the last play off spot.....which as a neutral is exactly how i like it.

Kent really only have themselves to blame when you sign so many young riders.

As talented as they are mistakes will be made and the opposition are not quite as good as you are!

12 minutes ago, GWC said:

As talented as they are mistakes will be made and the opposition are not quite as good as you are!

The other element that never gets fully considered is that younger riders bodies are not fully developed. I hate football comparisons but Liverpools spice boy generation of Owen, Macmanaman, Redknapp etc were all plagued long term through injury and often thought to be because the handling of their fitness & training during their teens wasn't correctly handled.  

• Like 2

Hope the weather is ok. Seems ages ago that the Kent lads were last in action. Which was a good thing given all the injuries. Think they will be fine and get in the play-offs. If not they are the 1 team who have a reason. I have already stated it. GO KENT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GWC said:

Isn't signing the young riders the idea of the league though? 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, adz_mft said:

Isn't signing the young riders the idea of the league though? 

With the rule about only one rider who has ever achieved a 4 point average in the next league up being allowed ( daft rule in my book), Kent did not seem

to have a choice.  Word was at the end of last season that Paul Hurry was to be included. I presume it was that rule that stopped it...totally daft.  The point is that it was no surprise that Kent went for a young side.  The injury to Ledwith  ( far from young! ) has not helped.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message which includes your mobile phone number.

Thanks

Such a shame my enthusiasm has just drained away from a sport that I’ve gone to since I was 11. A couple of years ago I’d have gone to Mildenhall come what may. But the last couple of seasons it’s being getting worse that nowadays I can’t be bothered and today with the rain in London has made any thought of going nil. 

Although injuries can’t be helped the whole set up in the NL means yet again Drew Kemp is unavailable as he has to ride for Championship club Sheffield, farcical.  

After traveling to Poland to see league racing in all fairness shows how bad speedway is in the UK. 

Perhaps next season I will travel to regularly to see the Kings away from home. 

I hope today is a close meeting and those who go enjoy and can really only see a Tigers win, but what do I know! 

Edited by Paul
  • Sad 1