British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Crusader

Mildenhall v Kent 18th Aug

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

Such a shame my enthusiasm has just drained away from a sport that I’ve gone to since I was 11. A couple of years ago I’d have gone to Mildenhall come what may. But the last couple of seasons it’s being getting worse that nowadays I can’t be bothered and today with the rain in London has made any thought of going nil. 

Although injuries can’t be helped the whole set up in the NL means yet again Drew Kemp is unavailable as he has to ride for Championship club Sheffield, farcical.  

After traveling to Poland to see league racing in all fairness shows how bad speedway is in the UK. 

Perhaps next season I will travel to regularly to see the Kings away from home. 

I hope today is a close meeting and those who go enjoy and can really only see a Tigers win, but what do I know! 

In the past week Paul, I've been to the British masters grasstrack, Wolves v Peterborough & King's Lynn v Wolves. Out of the three, the grass was the most enjoyable. Todays line up was the clincher for me. Hopefully the weather will be kind for Kent tomorrow and the Island on Tuesday.

Think kent must have one of the most cursed seasons in existence.

• Like 1

yet again a Len Silver team using r/r and no No8, an accident (sorry on pun intended)  waiting to happen.

Is it true the rumours that Ablitt and Burford are being sparsly used to protect averages for next year, if so, I thought this was a league to allow young riders experience.

10 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

yet again a Len Silver team using r/r and no No8, an accident (sorry on pun intended)  waiting to happen.

Is it true the rumours that Ablitt and Burford are being sparsly used to protect averages for next year, if so, I thought this was a league to allow young riders experience.

Where will Len get a No 8 from? Kent are struggling to get riders to cover the unattached 2 point position at reserve as it is let alone a No8.

Not sure where Len is protecting Ablitts average has come from, he has stopped riding altogether!    

As for Mulford, he has been riding grasstrack & that includes today. He is down to ride tomorrow against B Vue that will be 4 matches & give him an average, so where the idea Len is not using him to protect his average comes from i don't Know, he would certainly have used him before tomorrow if he could.

31 minutes ago, Binman said:

No 8 James Chattin or Kieran Douglas got to be worth a call

The chances of getting a rider to travel to a meeting on the off chance of getting a ride at no8 would be bordering on impossible,, which is why it is very rare to see a no8 in an away sides team . As in the case today at mildenhall a no8 would not have been used so would have had a wasted journey. Do chattin or Douglas live near mildenhall? 

I thought the BSPA had a pool of riders for such a situation.

Sorry to hear Ablitt has packed up he was very promising

8 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

The chances of getting a rider to travel to a meeting on the off chance of getting a ride at no8 would be bordering on impossible,, which is why it is very rare to see a no8 in an away sides team . As in the case today at mildenhall a no8 would not have been used so would have had a wasted journey. Do chattin or Douglas live near mildenhall? 

If I am correct Douglas was no8 for Plymouth at Mildenhall earlier this year

Is Mildenhall the most dangerous track in the country? I might be wrong but there always seems to be a high number of incidents, fallers and withdrawals. Happened again today.

Given that refs complete a match summary and have the benefit of the Incident Recorders report, I wonder if the SCB / BSPA  use this information? I’m sure the sports insurers would be interested. On second thoughts maybe keep it in house, you never know what damage it could do.

• Like 1

Having spoken with Jason Pipe earlier this year, a new rule was introduced to stop riders riding a large part of the season but not doing enough league fixtures to get average. So next season my understanding is that all his competitive rides will count and by my calculations he has scored 72 point from 56 rides which would give him a starting average of around 5.18. Thankfully still good value, and wont leave him struggling to get a team.

6 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Having spoken with Jason Pipe earlier this year, a new rule was introduced to stop riders riding a large part of the season but not doing enough league fixtures to get average. So next season my understanding is that all his competitive rides will count and by my calculations he has scored 72 point from 56 rides which would give him a starting average of around 5.18. Thankfully still good value, and wont leave him struggling to get a team.

Who are you referring to? If you mean Mulford he’d struggle to find a team on 5.18.

Edit: You must mean Ablitt, thinking about it, but even then it’s not a great average for him because with a low points limit that could make him a 3rd heat leader in teams. For example, IOW started with RTD as 3rd heat leader on 5.22. But it’s a bit high to be a second string. 

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 2

Kent haven't struggled to find suitable /available 2.00 riders what they have done is alienate those that would be available to cover for them after struggling once when they were given late notice by Gilkes. Since then they have persisted  with using a way below par Barnes who is as fragile as his equipment and enjoys the photos pre-meeting more than the track time.  Ablitt stepped down because he was going to get an average and was woefully out of form so was at risk of being dropped and saddled with an average over 4 rather than 2/3 for next season. Clouting is lucky Kent were desperate having been lumped with an average nobody else would take him on and Mulford comes in now as the options have run out. 

The 4 meetings rule is good to prevent long term abuse of reserves in form but will end some riders careers as its very easy to get a high average, get replaced and be un-signable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kent haven't struggled to find suitable /available 2.00 riders what they have done is alienate those that would be available to cover for them after struggling once when they were given late notice by Gilkes. Since then they have persisted  with using a way below par Barnes who is as fragile as his equipment and enjoys the photos pre-meeting more than the track time.  Ablitt stepped down because he was going to get an average and was woefully out of form so was at risk of being dropped and saddled with an average over 4 rather than 2/3 for next season. Clouting is lucky Kent were desperate having been lumped with an average nobody else would take him on and Mulford comes in now as the options have run out. 

The 4 meetings rule is good to prevent long term abuse of reserves in form but will end some riders careers as its very easy to get a high average, get replaced and be un-signable.

6 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Who did Kent alienate and how? Just interested to know.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

Who did Kent alienate and how? Just interested to know.

Im not going to name names as the riders who i have spoken too / communicated with / heard via other trusted sources but there is certainly some disillusion from fringe riders (all of which are higher rated by me than Barnes) that he has been given the opportunities and full notice whereas offers midday on Monday that riders simply cannot accommodate seem to be treated in a negative light. There are plenty of teams out there who will / do need additional riders and the vast majority don't struggle to find an unattached guests so perhaps that should start to tell Len/Kent something. 

11 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im not going to name names as the riders who i have spoken too / communicated with / heard via other trusted sources but there is certainly some disillusion from fringe riders (all of which are higher rated by me than Barnes) that he has been given the opportunities and full notice whereas offers midday on Monday that riders simply cannot accommodate seem to be treated in a negative light. There are plenty of teams out there who will / do need additional riders and the vast majority don't struggle to find an unattached guests so perhaps that should start to tell Len/Kent something. 

Tell Len something, good luck with that.

• Haha 1