British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, gustix said:

Why should Bulls be involved with speedway?

They would if speedway was in a stadium they wanted to take over  , If i won Euromiilions I would build a stadium for the Bulls ,let them move in at cheap rent , then chuck them out mid season

Shame. Used to be described as the best ground in Rugby League. Now its gone a bit scruffy. Team will never get back into Super League. Seen them i think, 3 times this season. Course RL matches are always exciting. But they are nowhere near the SL. I think they are operating with half the squad full-time and the other half, Part-time. Speedway should be taking place in that City. Trouble is, I say that about a lot of places.

wonderful track at the time, but as we all know a wonderful track doesn't bring punters in .. i think anyone brave enough to take speedway there would need to have incredibly deep pockets and not be worried about losing it all

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stevehone said:

wonderful track at the time, but as we all know a wonderful track doesn't bring punters in .. i think anyone brave enough to take speedway there would need to have incredibly deep pockets and not be worried about losing it all

Agree. Hopefully someone with money brings Coventry back. The person who does that will lose nothing. Speedway in Bradford-no.

As has been said many times - if you want to make a small fortune out of speedway then start with a large one!

• Sad 1

I've only been to Osdal once and that was on a business trip to Bradford and I stopped by to have a look. This was long after speedway had finished. It's a fantastic location and from videos I've seen was one of the best racetracks in the country. Would I invest shed loads of money in it now and try and bring speedway back? Errm - No! If I had a few hundred grand spare I would buy a Ferrari. Take it for a drive every Saturday and then after a couple of years when I'm bored of it I could sell it on for a profit or at least get back what I paid for it. 

5 hours ago, adonis said:

They would if speedway was in a stadium they wanted to take over  , If i won Euromiilions I would build a stadium for the Bulls ,let them move in at cheap rent , then chuck them out mid season

What a bizarre thought! I hope  the comment is in jest?

20 minutes ago, gustix said:

What a bizarre thought! I hope  the comment is in jest?

Most definitley not . I would do it .with a Euro lotto win .and i would do the same to Hull Kingston rovers given the chance

Edited by adonis
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, kelvinlapworth said:

I've only been to Osdal once and that was on a business trip to Bradford and I stopped by to have a look. This was long after speedway had finished. It's a fantastic location and from videos I've seen was one of the best racetracks in the country. Would I invest shed loads of money in it now and try and bring speedway back? Errm - No! If I had a few hundred grand spare I would buy a Ferrari. Take it for a drive every Saturday and then after a couple of years when I'm bored of it I could sell it on for a profit or at least get back what I paid for it. 

Bradford bulls didn't pay that much in rent , they paid out too much in wages to make it  viable , and they were less than keen to let anybody else share even when times got hard .

46 minutes ago, adonis said:

Most definitley not . I would do it .with a Euro lotto win .and i would do the same to Hull Kingston rovers given the chance

What about Hull FC ? ;).  Went to Odsal a few times, before and after Hull started up again in 1995, saw the great Per Jonsson whizz between the team-riding Bradford pairing in 1992, great track, brilliant view form main stand, almost as good as Hull's Craven Park (almost).  Unless only the main stand was used any crowds less than the 30,000 ish who witnessed 1985 & 1990 World Finals were lost in that vast bowl.  Just imagine a if a GP was held there today :D, shame the Dukes couldn't return....

Edited by martinmauger
Actual Odsal comment, then spelling

2 hours ago, adonis said:

Fair call. I would put a speedway track next to the house builders' chairman that shut Cradley.... and I'm a Wolves fan!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lefty said:

Fair call. I would put a speedway track next to the house builders' chairman that shut Cradley.... and I'm a Wolves fan!

And I'd build a housing estate on the land of the promoter that sold Leicester's Blackbird Road site to developers... Oh, hang on a minute :unsure:

1 hour ago, iainb said:

And I'd build a housing estate on the land of the promoter that sold Leicester's Blackbird Road site to developers... Oh, hang on a minute :unsure:

Do you mean the land midland sports stadiums sold to developers , the Midlands sports stadium that the promoter only owned 10% of the shares to ? and what would you do with his 10 % . invest it into making Coventry the best stadium in the country .,or piss it down the drain trying to run a team without hardly any support ,that had already closed 3 times previously ?

15 hours ago, martinmauger said:

What about Hull FC ? ;).  Went to Odsal a few times, before and after Hull started up again in 1995, saw the great Per Jonsson whizz between the team-riding Bradford pairing in 1992, great track, brilliant view form main stand, almost as good as Hull's Craven Park (almost).  Unless only the main stand was used any crowds less than the 30,000 ish who witnessed 1985 & 1990 World Finals were lost in that vast bowl.  Just imagine a if a GP was held there today :D, shame the Dukes couldn't return....

I only know of the problems caused by the Rugby chariman , keith ??? . I used to help Dave Ratt ,with the track shop until it closed ,

19 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Just imagine a if a GP was held there today :D, shame the Dukes couldn't return....

A GP was held there in 1997.

Think the crowd was around 10,000.