British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

A GP was held there in 1997.

Think the crowd was around 10,000.

That was the last meeting i went to at Odsal. I remember seeing Arena there on a Tuesday night and the place was deserted.

I recall the '97 GP at Odsal, shame Loram didn't win but some good racing.  Both rugby clubs in Hull were happy to accomodate speedway initially, Hull FC were actually sold at one point then re-named Hull FC once more.  Hull KR at one point were bankrupt and for sale at £600,000ish, accept £500,000, (bargain if it included the stadium), but once both clubs' serious money troubles were sorted, well some folk have short memories....

With Belle vue set to be demolished this winter, this leaves the brisca stock car community another shale track down. And bradford used to attrack big grids and crowds for all stick car classes and indeed one massive banger event a year 

So if the two sports can get a cohesive joint proposal together, something may come of it.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:02 PM, foamfence said:

The (claimed) main reason was stadium development but yes the place was deserted during the last season and it was embarrassing to see riders on parade, waiving to empty terraces.

I went to one or two meetings that last season. Often, the nearest spectator was 50 yards away!

• Like 2

It would be nice for any track to return. But why do we want to revive a failing speedway that couldn't make it pay when it had just won the Elite League? 

Odsal was too big for domestic activity but  could be kept in the background should Cardiff kick it out. In 1997, when Odsal closed, Belle Vue claimed it was them paying the highest rent of about £1400 and all other clubs - including Bradford - had it easy. 

The current Bradford owners charged the Rugby £78,000 rental per match. Speedway couldn't afford that.

Edited by moxey63

7 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

It would be nice for any track to return. But why do we want to revive a failing speedway that couldn't make it pay when it had just won the Elite League? Odsal was too big for domestic activity but  could be kept in the background should Cardiff kick it out. 

No need for it, we have Belle Vue which is a better track than Odsal ever was.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foamfence said:

No need for it, we have Belle Vue which is a better track than Odsal ever was.

Too right. The new Belle Vue seriously rivals Hyde Road and leaves Odsal, which I thought was just a rev-and-go track, in its wake.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, martinmauger said:

I recall the '97 GP at Odsal, shame Loram didn't win but some good racing.  Both rugby clubs in Hull were happy to accomodate speedway initially, Hull FC were actually sold at one point then re-named Hull FC once more.  Hull KR at one point were bankrupt and for sale at £600,000ish, accept £500,000, (bargain if it included the stadium), but once both clubs' serious money troubles were sorted, well some folk have short memories....

I was there

Mark simply chose the wrong gate in the final

10 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Too right. The new Belle Vue seriously rivals Hyde Road and leaves Odsal, which I thought was just a rev-and-go track, in its wake.

West Ham was up there with all of them. Speedways biggest problem is the loss of so many great big city venues.

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

West Ham was up there with all of them. Speedways biggest problem is the loss of so many great big city venues.

Or the loss of so many fans?

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

9 hours ago, RS50 said:

Or the loss of so many fans?

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The two go hand in hand, don't they?

The start is the loss of spectators - probably because they tire of speedway. Then the stadium closes because it is no longer financially viable.

13 minutes ago, gustix said:

The start is the loss of spectators - probably because they tire of speedway. Then the stadium closes because it is no longer financially viable.

Plenty of stadiums were viable, but their land value was far more valuable than their sporting income. Norwich and Southampton were two of the earliest casualties.

37 minutes ago, gustix said:

21 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Plenty of stadiums were viable, but their land value was far more valuable than their sporting income. Norwich and Southampton were two of the earliest casualties.

Businesswise that  appears to be a logical step then for stadium owners cityrebel.