British Speedway Forum

Chris116: In the 1980s when I was working at the 'South London Press' we became involved in coverage of the car racing at Wimbledon Stadium and sponsored several superstox world championships when staged there. I cannot ever recall the SLP sponsoring a Wimbledon speedway event.

Edited by Guest

Anyone "brave" enough to invest money in returning speedway to Odsal, should be compelled to have a psychiatric analysis first!

I remember one weekend in 1997. On the Friday night the Bradford Bulls played Paris St Germain in front of 20,000 fans to win the Super League title.

The following evening Bradford Dukes raced Swindon Robins on their way to winning the Elite League that season. This was a Dukes team with Mark Loram, Joe Screen, Gary Havelock, about to win the league............and a crowd of less than 500 bothered to show up!

It suggests to me that the Bradford public has a limited appetite for speedway.

20 minutes ago, Mr Snackette said:

Anyone "brave" enough to invest money in returning speedway to Odsal, should be compelled to have a psychiatric analysis first!

I remember one weekend in 1997. On the Friday night the Bradford Bulls played Paris St Germain in front of 20,000 fans to win the Super League title.

The following evening Bradford Dukes raced Swindon Robins on their way to winning the Elite League that season. This was a Dukes team with Mark Loram, Joe Screen, Gary Havelock, about to win the league............and a crowd of less than 500 bothered to show up!

Whilst I wouldn't disagree entirely with your comment, I've often wondered whether the reason for the speedway's struggle to attract numbers was down to the tremendous success of the "Bulls" around that period.The rugby was such a huge success at that time & it attracted very large attendances week in & week out ,to the detriment of all the other sports in the area perhaps? Affording rugby and speedway might have been too much for many people.  The rugby club are in the doldrums presently and they don't get the support that they previously enjoyed so perhaps there's a place for something else now . I do believe the stadium is to be sold now , I can't think of anything else that it could be used for as it is a rather "unique" place.

46 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/55057985

Looks like Bradford Bulls want to go back to odsal.  Deal agreed with stock cars & they also want speedway...

Good luck with the latter....

The Bulls may well wish to go back to Odsal, but whether they do or not, will not determine if speedway is staged.

The article is somewhat disingenuous, as any speedway staged will generate revenue for the RFL, rather than the Bulls, given that the former holds the lease on Odsal.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:20 AM, Mr Snackette said:

Have attitudes changed from those days to justify a speedway return at Odsal Stadium, Bradford?

2 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Have attitudes changed from those days to justify a speedway return at Odsal Stadium, Bradford?

After 20 odd years of no speedway I think the people of Bradford/Halifax and surrounding areas will support it in the short term, 2-3 years,    when Workington re opened in 1999 after 18 years, the crowds in 1981 were around 300 hard core fans, opening night 4000 ish fans  and the first few years crowds were 2000 plus well above break figures crowds dropped off in the end, but we went out in style with the treble and made H18TORY :party:

9 hours ago, Neila said:

After 20 odd years of no speedway I think the people of Bradford/Halifax and surrounding areas will support it in the short term, 2-3 years,    when Workington re opened in 1999 after 18 years, the crowds in 1981 were around 300 hard core fans, opening night 4000 ish fans  and the first few years crowds were 2000 plus well above break figures crowds dropped off in the end, but we went out in style with the treble and made H18TORY :party:

During Halifax’s last season (1985) at The Shay, the average attendance was circa 3,500. Bradford never got anything like that.

After 20-odd years without speedway, there is a danger what interest there was has evaporated.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Would be great to see them back but such a large stadium and likely few fans will be hard to generate much atmosphere.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:44 PM, Piotr Pyszny said:

During Halifax’s last season (1985) at The Shay, the average attendance was circa 3,500. Bradford never got anything like that.

After 20-odd years without speedway, there is a danger what interest there was has evaporated.

I know what you mean. We went to Bradford for a couple of seasons after Halifax closed.

It was never the same and with the meetings being on a Friday night, eventually, we just stopped going.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I know what you mean. We went to Bradford for a couple of seasons after Halifax closed.

It was never the same and with the meetings being on a Friday night, eventually, we just stopped going.

I think a combination of switching to Bradford, and Kenny Carter's death soon after the move, cost Dukes upwards of a thousand supporters. 

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

As a neutral, i enjoyed both the Shay and Odsal. It will need a brave man with deep pockets to bring professional speedway back to Bradford. It's an iconic venue for sure, but i can't see it being financially viable.

• Like 2

It’s been confirmed that stock cars are returning to Odsal

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

It’s been confirmed that stock cars are returning to Odsal

Thanks for posting!

For those who CBA to listen to the whole thing: an opening meeting is planned for April 3 (Easter Saturday), with 2,000 tickets - stadium capacity to be decided - on sale from January 1.

Promoter Steve Rees is asked about speedway. He believes 2022 is a more realistic prospect than 2021.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 5:06 AM, cityrebel said:

As a neutral, i enjoyed both the Shay and Odsal. It will need a brave man with deep pockets to bring professional speedway back to Bradford. It's an iconic venue for sure, but i can't see it being financially viable.

Bradford always had excellent crowds for big meetings, but I'd question the viability of league fixtures there.  The crowds were probably decent for smaller venues, but would get lost in the vast spaces of Odsal.  Bear in mind that they had strong teams for a lot of the time between 86 and 97.