British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

If it is considered a new track, then there should be a 2 metre safety gap between the fence and the spectators i believe.

It's 2mtrs at all tracks, old or new.

14 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

Thanks for that

Also for speedway the fence would have to be 5ft high as the new regs. And I think for stocks do they still have to have a fence 6ft high between the fence and the spectator?

21 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Does that not make it a solid steel fence?:unsure:

It was compared to Kings Lynn, Kings Lynn is a solid concrete wall with steel in front of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Also for speedway the fence would have to be 5ft high as the new regs. And I think for stocks do they still have to have a fence 6ft high between the fence and the spectator?

I think it depends on the distance between the track and spectators, at Belle Vue and Stoke where there was a greyhound track in between, the 6ft catch fence wasn't required. 

30 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I think it depends on the distance between the track and spectators, at Belle Vue and Stoke where there was a greyhound track in between, the 6ft catch fence wasn't required. 

I know Coventry had to have one and that was on the outside of the dog track

8 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

A group seriously interested in reviving speedway have been in conversation with the stock car people. Sticking point is the landlords estimation of the value he requires per meeting.

The other sticking point? would it be granted a track license with the hospitality suite so close to the track, not sure it would get one.

36 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

The other sticking point? would it be granted a track license with the hospitality suite so close to the track, not sure it would get one.

Not sure personally would of thought so as no spectators in that area so plenty of additional protection can be added to protect riders

4 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Not sure personally would of thought so as no spectators in that area so plenty of additional protection can be added to protect riders

Not being funny any sort of protection on those supports will not save a rider thrown at them.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, Bagpuss said:

Maybe it’s the camera angle but the third/fourth bends look much narrower than I expected, has the hospitality building encroached onto the old circuit? 

It's the camera angle, the track sits on the exact footprint of the old circuit. Steve Rees has stated this on various forums. Dont for get the track will be laid over the corners of the rugby pitch for race meetings, and lifted up again for rugby matches. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BangerBoy said:

Not being funny any sort of protection on those supports will not save a rider thrown at them.

Perhaps a catch fence could be installed to a  greater height or maybe the airfence being higher would save the riders reaching the supports ,no one will be standing there( so will not impinge on viewing ) I am sure in this day and age a safe solution can be found .

Edited by FAST GATER

2 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

Perhaps a catch fence could be installed to a  greater height or maybe the airfence being higher would save the riders reaching the supports ,no one will be standing there( so will not impinge on viewing ) I am sure in this day and age a safe solution can be found .

As the safety fence is already within inches of the supports I doubt that would work and you wouldn't want to chuck riders back onto the track and possibly under the wheels of others following. I seem to remember that a Speedway representative has already visited it and said it was OK, so there must be some plan for it.

19 minutes ago, foamfence said:

As the safety fence is already within inches of the supports I doubt that would work and you wouldn't want to chuck riders back onto the track and possibly under the wheels of others following. I seem to remember that a Speedway representative has already visited it and said it was OK, so there must be some plan for it.

I suppose they could use a foamfence? :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I suppose they could use a foamfence? :unsure:

Indeed they could but they're more costly. Meanwhile this 'Foamfence' who lives quite near the track, probably won't be going, even after seeing every meeting there since the mid 1950s (had enough).

• Like 1