British Speedway Forum

It rarely used to produce 'great racing' when I went regularly in the 90's so not sure how it would deliver it now on much faster kit...

Fast racing absolutely, every week you could watch one rider in most races leave the rest behind, with often the leader 50 yards ahead..

The World Finals and the GP's were excellent there but that was down more to the standard of riders in all races and the way the track was prepared. ie. With lots of shale and not "ran slick"...

I remember attending a league match the week after one of the GP's and it looked like they had built the 'Hickstead Bank', that they use in showjumping, in the middle of the track..

This was all the shale that had been removed from the track post GP..

That nights 'racing' was back to its usual standard....

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

It rarely used to produce 'great racing' when I went regularly in the 90's so not sure how it would deliver it now on much faster kit...

Fast racing absolutely, every week you could watch one rider in most races leave the rest behind, with often the leader 50 yards ahead..

The World Finals and the GP's were excellent there but that was down more to the standard of riders in all races and the way the track was prepared. ie. With lots of shale and not "ran slick"...

I remember attending a league match the week after one of the GP's and it looked like they had built the 'Hickstead Bank', that they use in showjumping, in the middle of the track..

This was all the shale that had been removed from the track post GP..

That nights 'racing' was back to its usual standard....

Hope I'm wrong but I don't think anyone would be brave enough to start speedway up. With the costs of setting up ie fence air fence and would it pass all the scb requirements and rent ect?

Edited by Trackerman48
Missed some words
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Rumours of a £4k per meeting rent won’t help attract a promoter either 

It won't be a runner with that overhead. Who is going to set up and pay for the pits and pits carpark, and where would they put them. It's a very difficult shape being a bowl, and previously the Ham's had them at the upper level where the the hospitality suite is now, Could the pits be put under the suite building ?. Too many questions and financial restrictions to overcome and would have to be in place even if it was considered only for the bigger events in competition to Cardiff and BV,

Edited by Tsunami

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It won't be a runner with that overhead. Who is going to set up and pay the pits and pits carpark, and where would they put them. It's a very difficult shape being a bowl and previously the Ham's had them at the upper level where the the hospitality suite is now, Could the pits be put under the suite building ?. Too many questions and financial restrictions to overcome and would have to be in place even if it was considered only for the bigger events in competition to Cardiff and BV,

Like I've said Dave it's not the rent alone would stop anyone there is so much against it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

It won't be a runner with that overhead. Who is going to set up and pay the pits and pits carpark, and where would they put them. It's a very difficult shape being a bowl and previously the Ham's had them at the upper level where the the hospitality suite is now, Could the pits be put under the suite building ?. Too many questions and financial restrictions to overcome and would have to be in place even if it was considered only for the bigger events in competition to Cardiff and BV,

Surely the stock cars will need a car park? Or is it that bikes need to be covered and the stock car boys are in the open? I would imagine most riders have the coverings that pull out from the side of a van or a gazebo? :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Surely the stock cars will need a car park? Or is it that bikes need to be covered and the stock car boys are in the open? I would imagine most riders have the coverings that pull out from the side of a van or a gazebo? :unsure:

True Ray, but I can't remember seeing a large stox car park unless it is high up, and they use the big ramp on the 3rd bend to enter and exit the track like the speedway riders do.

Im sure stock's will be a big hit at Bradford and I hope they are for Steve Reese the man as put his money where his mouth is and I wish Steve all the best. Think Bradford could be the mecca of F1 stock cars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They have finished laying the tracks base material 2 days ahead of schedule. They are leaving for 10 days to settle before they start to lay the race surface.

Without the stadium repairs and replacing the stock car barrier the cost of the material must eye watering,even more so the haulage bill..

I think if the talked about figures are correct, then you won't see a team running from there for a while. But the opportunity for big events in the future has to be a possibility.

People seem scared to say why Bradford wouldn't work as a Speedway venue. I have no idea why, it's not a racist opinion, it's fact. 

Majority white area's struggle to get 1000 week in week out. Bradford would struggle to get 100

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

People seem scared to say why Bradford wouldn't work as a Speedway venue. I have no idea why, it's not a racist opinion, it's fact. 

Majority white area's struggle to get 1000 week in week out. Bradford would struggle to get 100

If that’s the case you have to ask what British speedway has done in the last 40+ years  to target them as a potential audience ?

1 minute ago, Jonny the spud said:

If that’s the case you have to ask what British speedway has done in the last 40+ years  to target them as a potential audience ?

You have no chance, they won't make hero's of other races or religions, believe me I live there.

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

So did I imagine the existence of a speedway track in Leicester, the UK City with the highest proportion of non white citizens in the country.

8 minutes ago, foamfence said:

You have no chance, they won't make hero's of other races or religions, believe me I live there.

So no Asians go to football matches then ?

3 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

So no Asians go to football matches then ?

An extremely low number, there are Asian and Muslim footballers.