British Speedway Forum

15 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

That’s a completely different organisation and the FIM would have to grant it a licence .

That's true  but it doesn't matter any way as there will not be anyone willing to take a big gamble on running speedway there, this year or in the future IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, Halifordukesfan said:

Use the same promoter as Cardiff, licence wouldn't be a problem with the kind of revenue the meeting would generate.

A track licence is only applicable to the track where an event is run, and there are all sorts of requirements which will have undoubtedly become more stringent since the last time Bradford held an FIM licence. The track and facilities would also need to pass an inspection.

From just a cursory glance, the lighting poles on the bends look like they may be too close to the track these days. 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

A track licence is only applicable to the track where an event is run, and there are all sorts of requirements which will have undoubtedly become more stringent since the last time Bradford held an FIM licence. The track and facilities would also need to pass an inspection.

From just a cursory glance, the lighting poles on the bends look like they may be too close to the track these days. 

While I accept that Startrax have done a lot of tidying up work I also suspect that a 20,000 plus capacity is fanciful without some serious structural work on first and second bend terracing. Suspect that both they and Bradford Bulls would be happy with 10,000 capacity otherwise it could become a costly money pit - which is one of the reasons the rugby left in the first place.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:12 PM, George Dodds said:

While I accept that Startrax have done a lot of tidying up work I also suspect that a 20,000 plus capacity is fanciful without some serious structural work on first and second bend terracing. Suspect that both they and Bradford Bulls would be happy with 10,000 capacity otherwise it could become a costly money pit - which is one of the reasons the rugby left in the first place.

I believe they have already stated that without Covid the capacity is just north of 20k.  Which is why they have only been selling 2000 tickets for the opening Banger and stock car events. I am hoping the current roadmap stays on course as I have tickets for the opening night...

15 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I believe they have already stated that without Covid the capacity is just north of 20k.  Which is why they have only been selling 2000 tickets for the opening Banger and stock car events. I am hoping the current roadmap stays on course as I have tickets for the opening night...

Every day's a schoolday i never new you needed a roadmap for banger racing :D

3 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Every day's a schoolday i never new you needed a roadmap for banger racing :D

Mate, had you seen me ever race... you would say I needed a sat nav.. lol

Hope I'm wrong but if Odsal was considered a GP venue think it's too late for this year.  After obviously needing new speedway pits, etc building, I think a test meeting would need to be staged before acquiring an FIM 'good to go' ticket.  That was certainly the case for the USA World Final in 1982 (the Penhall / Carter one) at teh LA Collesiuim a US qualifier was run there the year before.  I'm sure I recall seeing pics of half the Belle Vue time testing out Odsal prior to a qualifier meet and then the 1985 Final itself, even though it had previously staged speedway it was classed as a new venue and the track was much improved on the previous circuit.  I loved my visits to Bradford, before and especially after Hull re-opened in 1995.....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling (sigh)

1 hour ago, martinmauger said:

Hope I'm wrong but Odsal was considered a GP veneu think its' too late for this year.  After obviously needing new speedway pits, etc building, I think a test meeting would need to be staged before acquiring an FIM 'good to go' ticket.  That was certainly the case for the USA World Final in 1982 (the Penhall / Carter one) at teh LA Collesiuim a US qualifier was run there the year before.  I'm sure I recall seeing pics of half the Belle Vue time testing out Odsal prior to a qualifier meet and then the 1985 Final itself, even though it had previously staged speedway it was classed as a new venue and the track was much improved on the previous circuit.  I loved my visits to Bradford, before and especially after Hull re-opened in 1995.....

Bellamy in the Star says that they did consider Belle Vue as an option as no Cardiff. No mention of Odsal 

9 hours ago, noaksey said:

Bellamy in the Star says that they did consider Belle Vue as an option as no Cardiff. No mention of Odsal 

Ommited the 'magic' word in my own post: "Hope I'm wrong but if Odsal was considered a GP venue think it's too late for this year.", yeh Odsal not mentioned.  With the Covid situation chnaging almost by the day like last year think the GPs will take place at the venues if / when they are able to...

7 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Ommited the 'magic' word in my own post: "Hope I'm wrong but if Odsal was considered a GP venue think it's too late for this year.", yeh Odsal not mentioned.  With the Covid situation chnaging almost by the day like last year think the GPs will take place at the venues if / when they are able to...

That's pretty much it Martin

New "owners" of the GP for 2022 so it'll be interesting to see the calendar 

On 4/22/2021 at 5:20 PM, noaksey said:

Odsal doesn't have an FIM track licence, and hasn't for years. 

17 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Odsal doesn't have an FIM track licence, and hasn't for years. 

How long would it take to obtain one?

1 minute ago, noaksey said:

How long would it take to obtain one?

I don't what the exact process is for the FIM, but it would really depend on what work needed to be done. After so many years, the requirements will have changed, safety and facilities standards will be more rigorous, and of course Odsal has been significantly modified since the last time speedway was held there. I also don't think it has erm.. any track record in terms of having an air fence with all the necessary fixtures and fittings. So could well imagine a few months given that inspections need to be scheduled.  

If a track has been recently licensed it could probably be re-licensed pretty quickly because most of the requirements should already be in place and it undoubtedly helps if the licensing authority has an established relationship with the track promoters.

I can't really see why Odsal couldn't be re-licensed, although there's a few things in the photos that might an issue, such as lamp columns on the bends that might need (re)moving. 

Seems to me it’s a big dream to think Odsal could be the venue for a world speedway Gp one off meeting in 2021, 2022 or any other year unless a lot of money is thrown at it.  Who has got the money and the inclination to fulfill the dreams of a few fans.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I don't what the exact process is for the FIM, but it would really depend on what work needed to be done. After so many years, the requirements will have changed, safety and facilities standards will be more rigorous, and of course Odsal has been significantly modified since the last time speedway was held there. I also don't think it has erm.. any track record in terms of having an air fence with all the necessary fixtures and fittings. So could well imagine a few months given that inspections need to be scheduled.  

If a track has been recently licensed it could probably be re-licensed pretty quickly because most of the requirements should already be in place and it undoubtedly helps if the licensing authority has an established relationship with the track promoters.

I can't really see why Odsal couldn't be re-licensed, although there's a few things in the photos that might an issue, such as lamp columns on the bends that might need (re)moving. 

Or could they be converted into fold down lamp columns? :unsure: