British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

There would be at 55k + at Wembley - from all around the World, without a doubt.

Have been to Warsaw, WOW, Cardiff is not a spot on that. The atmosphere at Wembley would just be incredible. West Ham's stadium another maybe possible if not Wembley ? I religously went to Cardiff every year bar one due to death of my mother in 2009 from 2001 to 2016. We have stopped going now was getting same old and the racing pretty poor and Cardiff hotel prices plus other a complete rip off, put up specially for the event ! Put Cardiff's racing up against Wroclaw and others and it doesn't even come anywhere near. Up to pandemic I watched the GP's abroad now. Cardiff is completely over hyped and over rated in my view.

Whilst I agree with your Cardiff and Warsaw comments Wembley would not lend itself to a good speedway venue. Poor location for fans , doubt they would even consider putting a track in ( even a temporary one ) and I doubt very much that there are 55k + speedway fans left in the UK these days and don’t expect travelling fans this year at any venue.

And before anyone points out this is an Odsal thread.......there isn’t and won’t be any speedway there for the foreseeable future, GP., individual or otherwise.

Edited by Ringitsneck

I would be shocked if you got 55k at Wembley for speedway and if you did the atmosphere would be nowhere near as good as 40k at Cardiff.

The cost of renting Wembley would be astronomic so at 55k you would probably be losing money unless minimum ticket price was £50 and most speedway fans wouldn’t pay that price for the cheapest ticket.

If you want speedway in a big stadium Cardiff is the only option with the roof and financial help from the government.

10 minutes ago, Tim G said:

I would be shocked if you got 55k at Wembley for speedway and if you did the atmosphere would be nowhere near as good as 40k at Cardiff.

The cost of renting Wembley would be astronomic so at 55k you would probably be losing money unless minimum ticket price was £50 and most speedway fans wouldn’t pay that price for the cheapest ticket.

If you want speedway in a big stadium Cardiff is the only option with the roof and financial help from the government.

With speedway in Britain dying, maybe we will see the day when the outfit behind the GP, won't consider Britain having a round. After all, a GP in Wales, when there isn't a Welsh track is a bit odd in itself! :(

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

With speedway in Britain dying, maybe we will see the day when the outfit behind the GP, won't consider Britain having a round. After all, a GP in Wales, when there isn't a Welsh track is a bit odd in itself! :(

But Wales is part of Britain, and it’s a British Gran Prix. Sorted.

• Like 1

If 40k - 45K fans will go to Cardiff then 55k plus will go to Wembley, the capital of England and a Speedway Mecca that dwafts all others in Speedway history. The fans will come from home and abroad. If you have never seen a meeting there then maybe some here wouldn't appreciate it. Needs to be moved now in my view away from Cardiff which has become stale and doesn't produce decent racing . Agree SGP not likely either way in UK this year but sure it will be back in UK next year. Hope new organisers bring new and higher horizons for the sport at this level. Wembley for British SGP would be massive ! Crikey it would be the talk of World Speedway !! 

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

WALES is in Great Britain ... it's the British SGP. There are many reasons including the lack of a roof (no insurance against the weather for such an expensive project) and agree that 55k is totally unrealistic these days.

I watched Ove Fundin as a kid in the 1970 WTC . He had "walked" on Wembley's club which come back to league racing that year. He was BOO'ED out of the stadium by a capacity crowd . The more they booed the faster he went ! Only beaten by Briggo if my memory serves me right in four rides ?

6 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

If 40k - 45K fans will go to Cardiff then 55k plus will go to Wembley, the capital of England and a Speedway Mecca that dwafts all others in Speedway history. The fans will come from home and abroad. If you have never seen a meeting there then maybe some here wouldn't appreciate it. Needs to be moved now in my view away from Cardiff which has become stale and doesn't produce decent racing . Agree SGP not likely either way in UK this year but sure it will be back in UK next year. Hope new organisers bring new and higher horizons for the sport at this level. Wembley for British SGP would be massive ! Crikey it would be the talk of World Speedway !! 

DIDN'T realise Wembley is the capital of England. It is not exactly in the heart of London. Nothing like the local facilities (hotels, bars, restaurants) that Cardiff has to offer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WALES is in Great Britain ... it's the British SGP. There are many reasons including the lack of a roof (no insurance against the weather for such an expensive project) and agree that 55k is totally unrealistic these days.

Well Cardiff is losing fans year on year and its appeal i am afraid with processional racing . Agree Wembley is expensive and doesn't have roof , maybe track covers ? Totally disagree on crowd numbers Phil. If 40k go to Cardiff a meeting beyond original appeal then 55k would go to Wembley. Many fans from Poland and Europe for start. 

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DIDN'T realise Wembley is the capital of England. It is not exactly in the heart of London. Nothing like the local facilities (hotels, bars, restaurants) that Cardiff has to offer.

London Population dwafts Cardiff as does England's over Wales . Not even a club or indeed a Speedway following in Wales i suspect these days. 

7 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

I watched Ove Fundin as a kid in the 1970 WTC . He had "walked" on Wembley's club which come back to league racing that year. He was BOO'ED out of the stadium by a capacity crowd . The more they booed the faster he went ! Only beaten by Briggo if my memory serves me right in four rides ?

There was nothing like a capacity crowd at Wembley for the WTC Final in 1970.

Estimates in the Star put it at 40k ... 

1 minute ago, Goldhawk said:

Well Cardiff is losing fans year on year and its appeal i am afraid with processional racing . Agree Wembley is expensive and doesn't have roof , maybe track covers ? Totally disagree on crowd numbers Phil. If 40k go to Cardiff a meeting beyond original appeal then 55k would go to Wembley. Many fans from Poland and Europe for start. 

THEY wouldn't go because there are 11 SGPs, including ones in their own countries, the risk of weather intervening is too high and I think you are recalling racing at Wembley through rose coloured spectacles. And, don't forget, Wembley would require a temporary track, no different to Cardiff.

1 minute ago, Goldhawk said:

London Population dwafts Cardiff as does England's over Wales . Not even a club or indeed a Speedway following in Wales i suspect these days. 

OR London ...

• Like 2

Wembley isn't the capital of England buts its in the English capital. It has no rival in Speedway's history.