British Speedway Forum

i went there once with Hackney for Halifax v Hackney in 1980. As a Hackney fan it was a brilliant night winning from i think 16 points down 38 - 39.  Zenon Plech scored a paid five ride maximum for Hackney. The racing was incredible. We got there late and rushed into stadium for heat one and on back straight coming into bend 3. Kenny Carter flew into bend three and passed Finn Thompson on inside entry at high speed like he was in reverse. The place was spectacular. My stand out memory also was the very sporting Halifax fans who applauded us after meeting. i went to Bradford years later and visited stadium with rugby pitch now in place but remains of bends still in place. Went on the bends to have a look couldn't believe how bloody high the banking was ! Bradford also great, hope track comes back to sport.

Yeh I got the racing at Odsal / The Shay the wrong way around, s'what happens when you post when supposed to be working. i.e staring into, rather than at, the screen to check no-one is standing behind.  Racing at the Shay prob looked more spectacular as you could get more than up close and personal, was my first permitted away trip as a youngster; "no Halifax isn't far, I won't be back late"  (nor from Berwick, Coventry, King's Lynn, Reading, Swindon, etc, etc, LOL!).  Would welcome speedway back at Odsal, you never know, always enjoyed my visits there....

• Like 1

If Bradford will come back in Speedway!!! it will make Speedway fans happy :), not only that we need bring some old teams back like Swindon, Reading and Coventry.

I watched speedway at Halifax almost every Saturday night from the opening meeting in 1965 until closure in 1985 and therefore was witness to hundreds of races.

As a superfan I think that qualifies me to comment on the quality of racing at Halifax over a long period of time and believe me, there was plenty of overtaking at the shay.

• Like 6

On 4/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, speed29 said:

If Bradford will come back in Speedway!!! it will make Speedway fans happy :), not only that we need bring some old teams back like Swindon, Reading and Coventry.

Where are the riders coming from? We are constantly told there's not enough riders for one league never mind another four teams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Where are the riders coming from? We are constantly told there's not enough riders for one league never mind another four teams.

Russia riding on Finnish licenses 

6 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Russia riding on Finnish licenses 

Why Finnish?

13 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Why Finnish?

no reason, not meant to be taken seriously.

2 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Sorry, just thought it was stupid rather than funny. Have you not noticed Russians being stopped from riding on Polish licences?

7 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

SML ruled out Russian and Belarussian riders fairly quickly behind FIM, so not gonna happen even in theory.

lot of people think Bradford will come back even Workington as well, we need more teams come back from the past years.

Edited by speed29
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, speed29 said:

lot of people think Bradford will come back even Workington as well, we need more teams come back from the past years.

...and a lot of people these days who are interested enough in speedway to attend them if both tracks do/if ever reopen.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, speed29 said:

Every true Speedway supporter would welcome more tracks/teams but the fact is there is already an acute shortage of U.K. based riders. Currently for every rider that doubles up/down equals 1 rider short & that's the current situation so how can we possibly have extra tracks in 2023?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Every true Speedway supporter would welcome more tracks/teams but the fact is there is already an acute shortage of U.K. based riders. Currently for every rider that doubles up/down equals 1 rider short & that's the current situation so how can we possibly have extra tracks in 2023?

Forget Odsal but Workington will be back but at which level ? Would make sense to start NDL ( if it still exists in 2023 ) whilst they build up the facilities , small steps at a time.

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Forget Odsal but Workington will be back but at which level ? Would make sense to start NDL ( if it still exists in 2023 ) whilst they build up the facilities , small steps at a time.

I live a few miles from Odsal,and although the track should provide good racing,it's such a depressing stadium,and I just can't see there being enough interest to sustain a team,even in the NDL.It's a strange situation,when Bradford closed at Greenfield,which was a nice little stadium,due to poor crowds,that looked like the end of speedway in West Yorkshire,yet just a couple of year's later,Halifax reopened with huge crowds.There was just something about Halifax that was never repeated when the Dukes moved to Odsal.Sad to say,I don't see speedway returning to West Yorkshire any time soon.