British Speedway Forum

14 minutes ago, eric i said:

The tracks already in and there has already been loads of stock car meetings. Not sure it would meet FIM standards though.

would need pulling in a bit, 5 ot 6 feet into the pitch

26 minutes ago, eric i said:

The tracks already in and there has already been loads of stock car meetings. Not sure it would meet FIM standards though.

Is it that he FIM might be concerned that the track could provide overtaking after the second bend? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, eric i said:

It doesn’t meet SCB standards so no chance of FIM approving it as it is.  

I cannot believe that Paul Bellamy does not have some sort of exclusivity in his contract with Discovery for the GP at Cardiff.

It would be financial suicide to not have that sort of protection for the duration of his contract with the Principality Stadium.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, Grand Central said:

I cannot believe that Paul Bellamy does not have some sort of exclusivity in his contract with Discovery for the GP at Cardiff.

It would be financial suicide to not have that sort of protection for the duration of his contract with the Principality Stadium.

He has but what was the European Grand Prix, pre Covid, could have been staged anywhere in "Europe" so British GP at Cardiff and EGP at say Odsal, a Glasgow Football stadium or the Olympic Park. An impressive number of alternative stadia were considered and the Directors of those stadia entertained at the British GP in Cardiff for genuine and real evaluation, a part of the criteria was for a minimum seating capacity of just under 10,000 to make it work. When the National Speedway Stadium was being built it had the capacity to acommodate that as a minimum with temporary stands.

Edited by Byker Biker

11 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

He has but what was the European Grand Prix, pre Covid, could have been staged anywhere in "Europe" so British GP at Cardiff and EGP at say Odsal, a Glasgow Football stadium or the Olympic Park. An impressive number of alternative stadia were considered and the Directors of those stadia entertained at the British GP in Cardiff for genuine and real evaluation, a part of the criteria was for a minimum seating capacity of just under 10,000 to make it work. When the National Speedway Stadium was being built it had the capacity to acommodate that as a minimum with temporary stands.

I cannot see what going back over any of BSI investigations, when they had sole ownership of both the British GP AND of the whole series, does to clarify whether the Bellamys currently have exclusivity written into their contracts.

That could make discussions about additional GPs in the UK completely pointless at the moment.

The past was a very different place.

Edited by Grand Central

Reading this thread I've often thought would it be viable to hold a second GP in the UK as probably the Commonwealth GP at Belle Vue, Glasgow or even Osdal? Poland has three but can justify it with the popularity and the crowds. Sweden has two. Would it work - who knows??

Most current tracks are a long way from Cardiff and predominantly in the north. How many come from Yorkshire or north of Yorkshire. If the Cardiff catchment area is south of Yorkshire the attendance should not be too adversely affected by a second GP in Bradford. One may expect the attendance for a Bradford GP to come from the north of England and southern Scotland. Therefore Cardiff should still be viable though maybe with less than 40,000. What attendance would Bradford secure? £20,000.

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

Reading this thread I've often thought would it be viable to hold a second GP in the UK as probably the Commonwealth GP at Belle Vue, Glasgow or even Osdal? Poland has three but can justify it with the popularity and the crowds. Sweden has two. Would it work - who knows??

Poland has 4 and probably will continue to have 4, Sweden has 1. 

49 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Most current tracks are a long way from Cardiff and predominantly in the north. How many come from Yorkshire or north of Yorkshire. If the Cardiff catchment area is south of Yorkshire the attendance should not be too adversely affected by a second GP in Bradford. One may expect the attendance for a Bradford GP to come from the north of England and southern Scotland. Therefore Cardiff should still be viable though maybe with less than 40,000. What attendance would Bradford secure? £20,000.

Ignore the £ sign. I meant 20,000?.

I am all for it . Haven't seen to many meetings there as based in the South but did see the 1985 WF there and ELRC in 1997. Racing was great. Wasn't the ELRC the last meeting staged there ? Agree track and all else needs to be absolutely right to stage a GP event . Maybe should have a crack at Olympic Stadium too in East End for a SGP.

Are we going to get any league racing at Odsal in the near future.

I first started attending when Havvy left Middlesbrough & joined the Dukes.

I really hope speedway can return.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 12:32 AM, Gringo said:

Are we going to get any league racing at Odsal in the near future.

I first started attending when Havvy left Middlesbrough & joined the Dukes.

I really hope speedway can return.

me too see The Dukes returned.

Much as it pains me, being a Dukes supporter week in week out, from 1969 to 1997, league racing at Odsal would be financial suicide, a series of individual events would seem to be a better option.

• Like 2