British Speedway Forum

Having been to both Cardiff and Wembley for football matches, i much prefer Cardiff for pre and post match entertainment

I've never been o Cardiff, for anything. Wouldn't really consider it. But Wembley.......that just has something extra for me. Possibly would consider the other option in London as well though

21 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I've never been o Cardiff, for anything. Wouldn't really consider it. But Wembley.......that just has something extra for me. Possibly would consider the other option in London as well though

I went to the very first GP, not been back since. It is a lovely city and stadium. The natives weren't too friendly! But I agree, a Wembley GP and I would be there in a heartbeat!

Been to Cardiff several times and always a real treat. Some of my mates are not real Speedway fans but they love the experience. The atmosphere outside the stadium with thousands of fans milling about, the electric atmosphere inside the stadium, the colour, the razamataz etc. Some really nice bars and restaurants at the waterfront once the live action has finished. Locals absolutely fine with us and no problems whatsoever. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Been to Cardiff several times and always a real treat. Some of my mates are not real Speedway fans but they love the experience. The atmosphere outside the stadium with thousands of fans milling about, the electric atmosphere inside the stadium, the colour, the razamataz etc. Some really nice bars and restaurants at the waterfront once the live action has finished. Locals absolutely fine with us and no problems whatsoever. 

No mention of the racing :D

• Haha 1

From memory I've been four times. Two excellent meetings with lots of passing and the other two not so good. However, even the "not so good" meetings were still very enjoyable and exciting due to the fantastic atmosphere generated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

I'm not sure if you've been to the new Wembley in recent years? Sadly, I don't think the present reality matches the name.

If there was ever a magic about the place, then I think it's long gone or I am seriously missing something. I've been to a midweek England game there and an FA Cup semi final and both times, it was very underwhelming. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse part of London for a drink or a bite to eat and the stadium itself is pretty soulless...it reminds me of an airport terminal.

I'm sure there was a time when Wembley was the greatest stadium in the world. Now, I'd say there were at least five better sporting venues in London alone...Olympic Stadium, Twickenham, The Emirates, Lord's and Wimbledon (haven't been to the new Spurs ground!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I'm not sure if you've been to the new Wembley in recent years? Sadly, I don't think the present reality matches the name.

If there was ever a magic about the place, then I think it's long gone or I am seriously missing something. I've been to a midweek England game there and an FA Cup semi final and both times, it was very underwhelming. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse part of London for a drink or a bite to eat and the stadium itself is pretty soulless...it reminds me of an airport terminal.

I'm sure there was a time when Wembley was the greatest stadium in the world. Now, I'd say there were at least five better sporting venues in London alone...Olympic Stadium, Twickenham, The Emirates, Lord's and Wimbledon (haven't been to the new Spurs ground!)

No I haven’t been to the new one, but the name and tradition alone should attract a fair few, even from abroad, if only for the first one or two years

The Olympic Stadium sounds good.

Been to Spurs ground, but only in the new shop and even at the time the museum wasn’t finished. Looks very impressive, but without seeing inside when a game is on, hard to say

• Like 1

Or did they mean Sod all ?

38 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Or did they mean Sod all ?

...Odsal that "big hole in the ground" as John Berry once described it!

Been to the old Wembley three times (never for football) and even did the tour which was a magical experience!

Went to Cardiff once...found it underwhelming if I'm honest.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, falcace said:

Twickenham would be a good call IMO. They are quite happy to cover the pitch for concerts etc and seem open to various events

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...Odsal that "big hole in the ground" as John Berry once described it!

Been to the old Wembley three times (never for football) and even did the tour which was a magical experience!

Went to Cardiff once...found it underwhelming if I'm honest.

Spot on Steve. Unless I am mis- remembering I saw every major speedway meeting at Wembley between 1965 and 1981. I went to Cardiff once,in 2014 and decided not to go again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There simply aren't 55k speedway fans in the UK anymore...

There would be at 55k + at Wembley - from all around the World, without a doubt.

Have been to Warsaw, WOW, Cardiff is not a spot on that. The atmosphere at Wembley would just be incredible. West Ham's stadium another maybe possible if not Wembley ? I religously went to Cardiff every year bar one due to death of my mother in 2009 from 2001 to 2016. We have stopped going now was getting same old and the racing pretty poor and Cardiff hotel prices plus other a complete rip off, put up specially for the event ! Put Cardiff's racing up against Wroclaw and others and it doesn't even come anywhere near. Up to pandemic I watched the GP's abroad now. Cardiff is completely over hyped and over rated in my view.

• Like 2