British Speedway Forum

17 minutes ago, ch958 said:

20 pc non white, not predominant

That was the 2011 census figure, still not predominant but It'll be much higher than 20% The fact is that Odsal never really attracted paying crowds for league racing. it was all but dead when it closed.

Guest compost
2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Re Odsal, does the geographic area support speedway? Bradford itself could be said to be predominantly Asian population. Leeds, as far as I know has not been a speedway area, Halifax has, but what support is there now for regular speedway. It’s no good having track but no regular supporters to finance it.

Not sure you really want the history lesson but Leeds has had 2 tracks. Post Hill only ran Speedway in 1928, Fullerton Park (near the Football Ground so I understand) ran 1928 to 1932 then re-opened for a single, final, season in 1938. In 1929 Leeds actually won the 'Northern' League and included Eric Langton in their side.

If they recreate the track then racing would be great, has potential to be improved.

That 1938 Leeds team began the season as Nottingham (promoted by Arthur Westwood who also promoted the pre-war Birmingham track at Hall Green). Mid-way hrough the season, Nottingham's crowds declined sharply, so Westwood transferred the operation to Leeds.

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think Leeds did try running speedway many many years ago, unless it was another track calling itself 'Leeds'. Mind you, I think most of the thinking on here is the occasional use of the track, as regular use will be the stocks. It seems these days, the barriers against running speedway, go far beyond an existing shale track which is going begging. :( 

I agree, weekly speedway at Odsal would be instant failure but a season of perhaps individual, showcase events, like stock cars, could be the answer, an independant neutral track for play off's or the fours meeting etc, do both leagues on the same day, mind you that would lead to some riders riding for two teams, could get complicated. Odsal needs to think outside the current, severely dated speedway box.

• Like 4

On 5/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, Halifordukesfan said:

I agree, weekly speedway at Odsal would be instant failure but a season of perhaps individual, showcase events, like stock cars, could be the answer, an independant neutral track for play off's or the fours meeting etc, do both leagues on the same day, mind you that would lead to some riders riding for two teams, could get complicated. Odsal needs to think outside the current, severely dated speedway box.

So there's no Bradford or potential Bradford speedway fans anymore?

Bradford Dukes won the first Elite League in 1997 with an awesome team featuring Havelock, Loram and Screen yet most of the crowds were below 1000 even some I believe were below 500. British speedway crowds in 1997 were bigger than crowd figures from 2019.

Probably the biggest game changer in West Yorkshire speedway was when League speedway finished at the Shay Grounds, Halifax at the end of 1985. I know there was circumstances there with having to move floodlight pylons in order to comply with new regulations and then being offered Odsal rent free, but Halifax Dukes speedway were an institution in the Town and had a decent hardcore support, indeed the speedway was the Towns best supported sport. Apparently Halifax averaged 3000 in 85 at the Shay while Bradford averaged 1000 in 86 at Odsal. 

I'm sure if speedway could have stayed at the Shay after 1985 then maybe the ground changes that took place there in the 1990's wouldn't have happened and the sport would still be staged there up to present times. I'm sure that speedway in Halifax would likely still be attracting some of the best crowds in Britsh speedway.  

If only Odsal could be transported over to Halifax.

To summarise staging League speedway at Odsal would almost certainly not attract viable crowds but certainly with the shale track in place it could be viable for one off events, while a track in Halifax is the best hope for League racing in that part of the World.

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Trees said:

So there's no Bradford or potential Bradford speedway fans anymore?

There will be a few previous fans who would return, myself included, though now living in Lincolnshire, I would have to be selective, certainly couldn't make a weekly trip, many older Bradford fans have probably sadly departed. Bradford would somehow have to attract a new audience, a new name to start with, Dukes has run it's course, maybe even a county name rather than Bradford, it's worked elsewhere, Sheffield may protest but that's their problem, get kids involved, 1 lap bicycle races, all ages on 125 & 250cc motorbikes, extras every 4 races, keep the entertainment rolling, social media, think outside the box, the current box is broken.

11 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Bradford Dukes won the first Elite League in 1997 with an awesome team featuring Havelock, Loram and Screen yet most of the crowds were below 1000 even some I believe were below 500. British speedway crowds in 1997 were bigger than crowd figures from 2019.

Probably the biggest game changer in West Yorkshire speedway was when League speedway finished at the Shay Grounds, Halifax at the end of 1985. I know there was circumstances there with having to move floodlight pylons in order to comply with new regulations and then being offered Odsal rent free, but Halifax Dukes speedway were an institution in the Town and had a decent hardcore support, indeed the speedway was the Towns best supported sport. Apparently Halifax averaged 3000 in 85 at the Shay while Bradford averaged 1000 in 86 at Odsal. 

I'm sure if speedway could have stayed at the Shay after 1985 then maybe the ground changes that took place there in the 1990's wouldn't have happened and the sport would still be staged there up to present times. I'm sure that speedway in Halifax would likely still be attracting some of the best crowds in Britsh speedway.  

If only Odsal could transported over to Halifax.

To summarise staging League speedway at Odsal would almost certainly not attract viable crowds but certainly with the shale track in place it could be viable for one off events, while a track in Halifax is the best hope for League racing in that part of the World.

Agree, a nice small track similar to Redcar or Scunthorpe to produce good racing, would probably work but you've still got to attract a new audience, 36 years on, many previous fans will have departed to other pastures. One other point is Halifax had the greatest crowd puller in Kenny Carter, crowds would have dropped at Halifax after his departure.

13 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

If only Odsal could transported over to Halifax.

Certainly Berwick are proof that speedway can survive in a football stadium however it's hard to see how it could have at the Shay given the complete redevelopment undertaken by Halifax Town.

7 hours ago, noaksey said:

Certainly Berwick are proof that speedway can survive in a football stadium however it's hard to see how it could have at the Shay given the complete redevelopment undertaken by Halifax Town.

The redevelopment was by the council and they offered the speedway (by then at Odsal) a place in it, they refused so no track was included.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, noaksey said:

It surely depends largely on when the rental deal is for the Stadium.

The owners are desperate to make odsal pay they will want the best rental price they can get from the speedway, even with weekly crowds of 500 a promoter could come to deal and make this work. 

15 minutes ago, eric i said:

The owners are desperate to make odsal pay they will want the best rental price they can get from the speedway, even with weekly crowds of 500 a promoter could come to deal and make this work. 

You seem to contradict yourself there

The owners either want the best rental price or a speedway promoter can get a right bargain. It is one or the other 

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You seem to contradict yourself there

The owners either want the best rental price or a speedway promoter can get a right bargain. It is one or the other 

I didn't say the speedway promoter can get a right bargain but the owners need the rental money and they will just rent to the speedway promoter who will pay the most.