British Speedway Forum
badgerdiditin63

New Forest Training Track 1958-1961

Very interested to see any photographs of the training track that ran between 1958 - 1961 please. I know that Classic Speedway showed a photograph featuring George Major back awhile but surely there must be some more photographs out there? Thanks for any help

This is a new one for me. Did it go under another name perhaps ?

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

This is a new one for me. Did it go under another name perhaps ?

From what little I have found (and I hadn't heard of it either), it seems that it was generally called the New Forest Training Track. It was on St. Ive's Rd in Ferndown.

Steve

• Like 1

Was it near or at Ringwood?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Ringwood was the place I was thinking of, which is why I asked if it was known as something else. This seems to be a totally new (to me) track

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Ringwood was the place I was thinking of, which is why I asked if it was known as something else. This seems to be a totally new (to me) track

I think it's new to a lot of us!  Ironically, looking at a map, it would have only been about four miles from Matchams Park!

Steve

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Also known as Ferndown this track was located between Ringwood and Matchams, I visited there a couple of times and had a few goes round, 53 years ago. It wasn't far off the main rd.

(St Ives Rd.?) , set amongst trees and a little overgrown, sandy surface with a bungalow fairly close by is the best I can offer.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JOS50 said:

Also known as Ferndown this track was located between Ringwood and Matchams, I visited there a couple of times and had a few goes round, 53 years ago. It wasn't far off the main rd.

(St Ives Rd.?) , set amongst trees and a little overgrown, sandy surface with a bungalow fairly close by is the best I can offer.

Could it be longer ago than 53 years, because that doesn`t tie in with  the OP`s years of operation ?

I was working in a full-time speedway publicity capacity between 1954 and 1962. At no time in that period do I recollect anything to do with this rain venue. But I do recall the Ringwood venue and that it also had a team operating in the Southern Area League in 1954 and 1955. Among their riders were  Ernie Lessiter and Mike Tams.

15 minutes ago, gustix said:

I was working in a full-time speedway publicity capacity between 1954 and 1962. At no time in that period do I recollect anything to do with this rain venue. But I do recall the Ringwood venue and that it also had a team operating in the Southern Area League in 1954 and 1955. Among their riders were  Ernie Lessiter and Mike Tams.

It's documented on the Speedway Museun Online, tracks beginning with F.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOS50 said:

According to the publication "Homes of British Speedway" there were a few tracks at Matchams Park (Ringwood) varying in years of operation and track lengths. There was a track at Fernwood located in St.Ives Road (1958-61) which ran as training school (New Forest Training School) listed in the same publication.

Edited by steve roberts

54 minutes ago, gustix said:

At no time in that period do I recollect anything to do with this rain venue.

You were working in a full-time speedway publicity capacity?  Sounds like you also had a part-time job as a meteorologist!!! 

Steve

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gustix said:

At no time in that period do I recollect anything to do with this rain venue. 

44 minutes ago, chunky said:

You were working in a full-time speedway publicity capacity?  Sounds like you also had a part-time job as a meteorologist!!! 

Steve

Oh dear! rain and not racing! The curse of predictive spelling and not cross checking what has been written. Now is it hamburger or amburger?