British Speedway Forum
badgerdiditin63

New Forest Training Track 1958-1961

Who was the person(s) behind this project ?

5 minutes ago, JOS50 said:

Thanks for that, have'nt seen it since yesterday.

You know you are dealing with a strange poster when you tell them about something and they later post to inform you about it.....you’ve just been gustixed 

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You know you are dealing with a strange poster when you tell them about something and they later post to inform you about it.....you’ve just been gustixed 

Not for the first time, mind you, it's nice to see Faringdon listed, a great place to have fun, back then.

50 minutes ago, gustix said:

Here's the SMO Link you refer to JOS50:

http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/f tracks.html

35 minutes ago, JOS50 said:

Thanks for that, have'nt seen it since yesterday.

My apologies for quoting you JOS50. I posted the Link because I thought there may have been other members interested in your comment and possibly may have wanted to follow what initially appeared a useful reference by you. Obviously not - but then we are on the BSF after all!

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, JOS50 said:

Not for the first time, mind you, it's nice to see Faringdon listed, a great place to have fun, back then.

This is even more surprising for me, as I can't recall the track and it was during the years I was quite active as a fan. Whereas the New Forest track was before I was born, so I have an excuse there!! Was the Faringdon track set up and used by the Oxford promotion? 

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

This is even more surprising for me, as I can't recall the track and it was during the years I was quite active as a fan. Whereas the New Forest track was before I was born, so I have an excuse there!! Was the Faringdon track set up and used by the Oxford promotion? 

Swindon i think- Malc Holloway

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

I have no recollection of the Oxford Promotion using Faringdon Raceway although I recall Steve Purchase (one time Oxford Promoter) talking of looking at another venue (Faringdon was discussed) rather than Cowley but it never gained any momentum.

I think Matchams Park was running - maybe for just a year - around 1970. I visited once.

19 hours ago, iris123 said:

Search Faringdon on this forum and there's several posts, notably MARK 245's, also I see Bryn lists it as a track he's visited.

• Like 1

George Major says:     I went there a few times in '58/9. It was not so much a track as an oval thrashed out in the bracken. it was accessed through an opening between the trees, there were several of these, all looking very much the same. I don't know how my dad managed to find the right one. From memory, there never seemed too much organisation, sometimes none at all. I think there was a notice saying only three riders on the track at one time, so I guess it was a bit on the narrow side. I don't remember any established S A L riders ever being there, so probably all wobbler's, like I was and not many fast laps going on, but not too sure on that, as a long time ago. It has to be remembered, there was not much happening in Speedway at that time, so we were glad to ride on anything resembling a track. Here are a couple of old pics, a family member would have taken with an old box camera or "Brownie 127"  :D. Not very clear, but might give you some idea. ;)

scan0329.jpg

scan0332.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterdaysman's post and pictures got the old grey matter working. Mike Cake and myself used to cycle there on a Sunday from Parkstone to watch etc. I think the name of the person running it then was Fred Pike. Not many riders (junior/novice) would turn up. Very deep sand on the bends. For our moral support we were each rewarded with a cloth sew on blazer badge bearing the name and logo. Track at St. Ives, Matcham Park is not very far away,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:36 PM, yesterdaysman said:

George Major says:     I went there a few times in '58/9. It was not so much a track as an oval thrashed out in the bracken. it was accessed through an opening between the trees, there were several of these, all looking very much the same. I don't know how my dad managed to find the right one. From memory, there never seemed too much organisation, sometimes none at all. I think there was a notice saying only three riders on the track at one time, so I guess it was a bit on the narrow side. I don't remember any established S A L riders ever being there, so probably all wobbler's, like I was and not many fast laps going on, but not too sure on that, as a long time ago. It has to be remembered, there was not much happening in Speedway at that time, so we were glad to ride on anything resembling a track. Here are a couple of old pics, a family member would have taken with an old box camera or "Brownie 127"  :D. Not very clear, but might give you some idea. ;)

scan0329.jpgThank you very much for posting the photographs, i have visited the site and by using an old 1972 ariel  photograph, can get a feel for  the old track. Great memories for those that saw some action there. Although no meetings were held there, the 'team' did race a restricted heat challenge at Aldershot in 1959 under the name of the 'Ferndown Flyers'!

scan0332.jpg

• Like 1