British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon1983

Introducing yourself....

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Fair play Alex,do you go to Lynn every meeting?That's near on 70 miles one way.

Unfortunately not, I get to around 2/3s of the home, and 4/5 away a season generally. I’d love to make every meeting, but the distance, work and my daughter do hold me back slightly.

When I go though, I always try to bring a car load of people who wouldn’t normally go otherwise - friends, family etc, and I’m pleased to say that a handful of these have since become hooked and go week in, week out

• Like 5

Keith van Wolfswinkel

Swindon

Have supported New Cross Wimbledon Workington and of course Swindon now.

School bus driver, Lucy children's air ambulance volunteer.

First match 1963 New Cross v Hackney.

Best moment..Swindon beating Poole in 2012 Grand Final, ending 45 year drought!

Worst moment..Peter Craven getting killed 1963, and Lee Richardson.

Favourite riders..Bjorn Knutsson..Peter Craven..Barry Briggs...Jason Doyle..Clive Hitch..Jimmy Squibb..Simon Stead..Lee Richardson

Most disliked..Ivan Mauger

Enjoy football, playing drums, music, walking dogs,

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Keith van Wolfswinkel

Blimey, you’re SteveBrum’s great grandson.  :)

17 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Blimey, you’re SteveBrum’s great grandson.  :)

Are you Noah’s :t:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Are you Noah’s :t:

Yep, that’s me.  Otherwise known as God.  :)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yep, that’s me.  Otherwise known as God.  :)

I thought I could smell animal dung.

Real name (first name only if you wish)  :   'Webby'

- What did you do for a living:-  Project Engineer

- Club you support:-  Kings Lynn Stars 

- what got you into speedway:-  From an early age I was always brought up going to Scrambles and Grass Track meetings in East Anglia, before Dad ventured to the Fir's  in Norwich to see Ove Fundin.   Once we exampled that excitement it became our regular jaunt on a Saturday night.   Unfortunately, Norwich closed and the connection was lost,  until Cyril Crane and Maury Littlechild  brought the sport to Kings Lynn.   From 1965 I have supported them every year since...

- best speedway moment:-    This is difficult to pick just one moment as there have been so many, too many to mention.   Sweden World final in 1980, and the British final in 77 were both very special,  but one single night I will always remember with such pleasure was going to Halifax with Michael Lee to contest his Golden Helmut against Home favourite Kenny Carter.  The home fans were stunned into silence as Lee walloped  Carter by an amazing distance,  smashing the lap record in each of them two rides...  A Wonderful night against all the odds..

- worst speedway moment: -   Again there are many,    usually associated with fatalities  ..   I also feel for riders like Gundersen and Darcy Ward  who suffered horrendous accidents,  but they were fortunate in that they still have a life to live, even if it is someway from a dream existence.    Riders like Rico didn't get that choice...  

- Favourite speedway rider and why:-   There have been many,   but as one gets older, one appreciates the bigger picture than one specific rider.   The riders who appeal to me are those give their all,  appreciating the importance of the fans and the sport.   They are immaculately turned out,  and have equipment that enabling them to perform at their highest level. There are many who fit that bill and that what make them more appealing...

- most disliked speedway rider and why:  -     Rider who turn up and ride, hold their hand out and go.  They must appreciate this  sport works both way.   they must give as well as take...

- what do you enjoy other than speedway:-     Madly addicted to all forms of Motor sports,   Moto GP;   Formula1;  Motor-Cross,  Superbikes,  the faster it goes the more interest it generates.    Although happily retired I find I am still too busy.   Enjoy doing computer work,  CAD and Calculations take up more time than I would like.   Music is always playing,   and when I want to escape I retire to a wonderful workshop kitted out with everything one would need...   

- social media links (if you wish to connect with other members).:-   Occasionally venture on twitter but not very often...

Cheers...

On 8/17/2019 at 8:20 AM, Falcon1983 said:

So let's introduce ourselves to each other and see who is behind the username.

- Real name - Richard

- Age 48

- Location - Ipswich

- What do you do for a living - Mortgage Adviser

- Club you support - Ipswich

- what got you into speedway - Grown up with it after going with Dad

- best speedway moment - Being at Reading in October 1984 to see the Witches clinch the title

- worst speedway moments - Sitting on the stairs in tears as a teenager hearing of Billy Sanders suicide Also Mark Lorams crash was right in front of where I was standing

- Favourite speedway rider and why - I love the crazy entertainers that are not necessarily the world champ contenders like Moggo and Ben Howe

- most disliked speedway rider and why - Jason Crump. Even refused to acknowledge him scoring a max whilst guesting for the Witches. Lots of reasons including him running bruv over in the pits at Arena 

- what do you enjoy other than speedway - coin collecting (anyone got a spare Kew Gardens 50p going cheap?? :))

- social media links - dont do any of those

Quite sick and tired of the same people arguing in every thread going, it's gone beyond friendly rivalry or banter, plus the numerous trolls who keep setting up different accounts and talking to themselves.

- Real name (first name only if you wish).... Mark

- Age.... 53

- Location....Near Ringwood

- What do you do for a living.....Delivery Driver 

- Club you support....Weymouth Wizards/Wildcats 74-84 Then Poole as Weymouth closed down.

- what got you into speedway...  Mother and Father..... We always went to Weymouth on Tuesdays and Poole on Wednesdays when I was growing up 

- best speedway moment.... Wimbledon 1990, The night Poole retained the National League title, Winning 45-44 after being 13 points down half way through the meeting

- worst speedway moment....Vic Harding’s fatal crash at Hackney.

- Favourite speedway rider and why...Vic Harding..Brilliant Rider at Weymouth in the mid seventies....Always loved his wheelies off the 4th bend over the finish line when he won a race

- most disliked speedway rider and why..The one and only Nikki (nut job) Pedersen....Dirtiest Rider to ever ride a Speedway bike. Knocking riders off for fun and then saying it’s there fault when he’s deliberately knocked them off.

- what do you enjoy other than speedway....Playing Guitar (badly..) just for fun

- social media links (if you wish to connect with other members)....Don’t do those...sorry.

We might find those who go for each other might have more things in common

Who wants to go first lol 

George

Rural Suffolk, half hour or so from Foxhall

Ipswich Witches

Been going all my life with my dad, my grandad took him when he was a boy, and knew john louis well among others

1998 has to be the best memory, the night we clinched the treble the fans mobbed the track, tony rickardsson disappeared in a cloud of smoke doing donuts on the stock car track, i got my team shirt signed by all six riders, i was 9 years old and my dad lifted me up so tony could reach over the fence to sign my shirt! which i still have in a box somewhere!

Not sure of a worst speedway moment, seen too many bad crashes and injuries which is never nice, was present on the 2nd bend to witness chris louis career ending injury which was a sad ending to a career of my childhood hero! similarly with Mark loram and his career ending crash.

Big fan of woffinden, when he's on form and fit he's the most skilful rider in todays field for me, as a kid i was always a big rickardsson fan as well as louis, loram and later hamper, always liked ryan sullivan and billy hamill as visiting riders back in the day. In more recent years Chris Holder was a big favourite of mine and his championship year 2012 marks in my mind a point in time when the sport changed - he was for me the last world champion who won the title on raw energy and talent, since then the riders have taken the attention to details in bike prep and fitness more importantly to a whole other level - i don't think this is a bad thing, but i do look back fondly on the era of holder and him getting loose and going fast, i guess Darcy Ward fell in this same sort of bracket just a raw natural talent, some of his off track antics let him down however.

I don't want to name names in terms least favourite riders i don't think that's necessarily fair, what i'll say is i've got no time for those that ride with a desperation and leave their brains in the toolbox, i want to see hard, close and fair riding, not riders that if they can get close enough won't think twice about riding straight through someone, rather than making tough but fair passes - its dangerous and i just think its unnecessary. Also don't like to see people trying too hard to ride above their ability - too many seemingly down the years watch the grand prix boys throw the bikes at each other and think that's great racing i'll try that but don't have the skillset to pull these manoeuvres and neither do the riders they're throwing the bike at! once again it's dangerous and causes crashes.

Other interests,  i love the outdoors, walking, mtb, golf is my main hobby and I'm a lifelong Liverpool FC fan, no children currently but a wife, dog, 2 rabbits and 2 chickens! 

Quite sick and tired of the same people arguing in every thread going, it's gone beyond friendly rivalry or banter, plus the numerous trolls who keep setting up different accounts and talking to themselves.

- Real name (first name only if you wish) - Gav

- Age -  37

- Location -  Essex

- What do you do for a living -  Car Sales

- Club you support - Now Ipswich but basically followed Mark Loram

- what got you into speedway - my uncle was British Sidecar champion (Ray Andrews) so we spent early 80's at many grass tracks and then when riders like Wiggy, Donkey and Schoey took up speedway we started going a lot more. We used to already go Rye House every Sunday and then soon branched out to Arena when they opened with occasional visits to Hackney and Ipswich

- best speedway moment - when Mark Loram moved up to the top league with Kings Lynn and we went to his first home match v Reading and he scored something like 19 points only being beaten by Readings reserve....Todd Wiltshire. Other than that either Marks first British title in 1997 or being in Vojens for his first world final. I want there live but obviously him winning the world title was fantastic night

- worst speedway moment - without question being at Hackney the night Paul Muchene was killed. We used to stand leaning against the pit wall at Hackney and we also knew David Steen who came up to us and said it wasnt looking good for young Paul at all. Marks career ending crash as well

- Favourite speedway rider and why - Mark Loram , knowing the family and Mark from the age of 15 up until now.

- most disliked speedway rider and why - Used to dislike Mick Poole as he fenced Mark twice in one season........i was a fan of Darcys ability but as a human he was and still is awful

- what do you enjoy other than speedway - family time with my 2 daughters and my partner......golf and i play snooker to a good level (over 30 centuries)

- social media links (if you wish to connect with other members). only instagram which ive no idea how to use unless my daughters show me!

We might find those who go for each other might have more things in common

Who wants to go first lol 

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

best speedway moment - when Mark Loram moved up to the top league with Kings Lynn and we went to his first home match v Reading and he scored something like 19 points only being beaten by Readings reserve....Todd Wiltshire. Other than that either Marks first British title in 1997 or being in Vojens for his first world final. I want there live but obviously him winning the world title was fantastic night

I can remember that first Loram season at Lynn, would have been 1990. He and Dennis Lofqvist started the season at reserve and until they moved into the top five they scored the bulk of our points every week. Can remember Richard Knight, Garry Hicks and Bo Brhel (his first season) being the heat leaders, maybe Armando Dal Chiele as a second string and I think Sean Wilson popped up later in the season (as did Henka) but can’t recall who else began that year in the top five. 

Hard to believe it was nearly 30 years ago! 

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I can remember that first Loram season at Lynn, would have been 1990. He and Dennis Lofqvist started the season at reserve and until they moved into the top five they scored the bulk of our points every week. Can remember Richard Knight, Garry Hicks and Bo Brhel (his first season) being the heat leaders, maybe Armando Dal Chiele as a second string and I think Sean Wilson popped up later in the season (as did Henka) but can’t recall who else began that year in the top five. 

Hard to believe it was nearly 30 years ago! 

If i remember rightly......Knight......Davies.....Hicks......Johansen......Brhel......Loram......Lofqvist

I was thinking Johansen but I thought he rode for Lynn in 88 & 89 and then Arena in 91 but didn’t ride over here in 90. Could be wrong though. 

Good shout on Davies.