British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris116

IOW Warriors v Belle Vue Colts 20/8/19

My second visit to Smallbrook Stadium and looking forward to seeing the Belle Vue Colts in action. Last night they were at Kent and secured one league point so will be hoping to do the same or better tonight. 

The Warriors will be hoping to be back to full strength with both Georgie Wood an Danno Verge retuning to the action. 

As well as the National League clash the Wizards are in MSDL action against Birmingham Bulls making an evening of 21 competitive races. 

I set out from Clapham Junction on the 07:22 train and will spend the day on the IOW Steam Railway before heading for the stadium for what should be a good meeting. 

EDIT Since writing the above news has come through that Birmingham are unable to field a team for the MSDL fixture. 

Edited by Chris116
Updated news

Hope you have a good day Chris 116 and tonights meeting is a good one and that Georgie and Danno can perform up to their normal standard,,,as im not convinced that Georgie is fully recovered after his performances with Eastbourne this week,,Good to see Danno back after his nasty spill at Kent..........

I suspect that Georgie will be OK if he is 85% fit at National League level tonight but needs to be at 110% fitness in the Championship especially away from home. 

As I write this I can see the stadium lighting pillons from the train at Smallbrook Junction Station. I just wish there was a footpath from the station to the stadium as it would make life so much easier and save the promotion the cost of the taxis they supply for those coming from the mainland. 

Georgie Wood still not fit ,,Danyon Hume guests for the IOW tonight...Hopefully he can do the job a fit Georgie would do if not IOW could have a difficult ,night...,,I am also hopping young King and Widman can continue their improved form of late,,the reserves could well be the key to this result....Hope all the riders have a good sate meeting...

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Georgie Wood is surely taking the michael now - misses matches for IOW gets 7 days, has not ridden for IOW since and just tootles round the back of the field from reports in Eastbourne away matches.

No doubt he'll turn up at Arlington on Saturday get a bagful of points and then miss next week for IOW. Then the same repeat repeat!

Shame that Jon Cook / Trevor Geer / Ian Jordan / Will Pottinger and Co don't have the balls to sack him; I'm sure most Promoters would have by now.

I'm sure Martin and Connor Dugard would have if he was in charge down there still.

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

Georgie Wood is surely taking the michael now - misses matches for IOW gets 7 days, has not ridden for IOW since and just tootles round the back of the field from reports in Eastbourne away matches.

No doubt he'll turn up at Arlington on Saturday get a bagful of points and then miss next week for IOW. Then the same repeat repeat!

Shame that Jon Cook / Trevor Geer / Ian Jordan / Will Pottinger and Co don't have the balls to sack him; I'm sure most Promoters would have by now.

I'm sure Martin and Connor Dugard would have if he was in charge down there still.

Im guessing that fixture clashes must be the reason why Eastbourne haven't replaced Wood with Hume? It is unlike him though so either the injury is worse than feared or there are other behind the scenes issues time will tell but it also feels like time may be running out for Georgie  

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im guessing that fixture clashes must be the reason why Eastbourne haven't replaced Wood with Hume? It is unlike him though so either the injury is worse than feared or there are other behind the scenes issues time will tell but it also feels like time may be running out for Georgie  

I agree but wonder if Bowtell is out for more than a few weeks if they might look at Hume for him?

I suppose Wood's home form and a couple of 2 legged matches coming up saves him?

Hopefully though with James out for season Brummies may get Danyon back and quickly.

Sadly the Wizards fixture in the MSDL against Birmingham Bulls has had to be postponed due to injuries and non availability in the Bulls team. 

As stated above Georgie Wood has been replaced in the Warriors side by Danyon Hume due to injury. 

• Sad 1

Looks a big ask for the Warriors but thought that for Kent last night and they got the win. The battle of the two big track teams will see a very powerful top 5 for the Colts but a tail that could keep the contest interesting with Sealey blowing very hot and cold and Bailey well below par last night. That said a returning Verge, Campos & Wirtzfeld both patchy will likely seal it for the visitor despite likely big scores from King and Widman.

• Like 1

Wood is a bit of an inigima, can be great or total rubbish, ,,apparently injured,,,or on good or terrible bikes..must be a problem for both promoters..What happens next ...?.?

• Thanks 1

Solid performance from the IOW ,,Paid max for Ben Morley and Hume covered admirably for Wood with14 points..Tricky fixture for the team so well done everyone.....

• Like 1

Great performance by the Warriors and Hume more than filled in for Wood. Hopefully Georgie is able to ride on Sunday!

Big win for the Warriors although still a silly rule that 3 rides had to go blank for Belle Vue (would at least make sense if a unattached 2 pointer could have taken them). That said 4 man Belle Vue put up a fight but its 3 valuable league points for IOW that not only almost guarantee they won't finish bottom but keep an outside play off chance alive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Big win for the Warriors although still a silly rule that 3 rides had to go blank for Belle Vue (would at least make sense if a unattached 2 pointer could have taken them). That said 4 man Belle Vue put up a fight but its 3 valuable league points for IOW that not only almost guarantee they won't finish bottom but keep an outside play off chance alive.

An unattached 2 pointer could have been drafted into the team but there were none already on the island and by the time it was known that Phillips would not make the meeting it was too late for any mainland rider to get to the track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

An unattached 2 pointer could have been drafted into the team but there were none already on the island and by the time it was known that Phillips would not make the meeting it was too late for any mainland rider to get to the track. 

Typical that it happened on the same night as the planned 2nd half got cancelled. result wasn't likely to change but few valuable laps gone begging.