British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Belle Vue 22/8/19

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

I don’t think riders think like that. It’s another chance of earning more money.

Harris guests a lot and his team are in the position of a top 4 place.

It's not a question of guesting generally but specifically for a team which is directly in contention with your own club for a place in the play offs.  Wolves and BV are both currently on +2, when comparing points dropped at home against points gained away and their race points scored difference was identical. It was therefore vital for Wolves that not only did BV  not gain any league points but also that they lost by as many race points as possible.  I doubt that any Wolves rider would not be aware that any advantage to BV could deny them the opportunity of certainly 2 and possibly 4 meetings for their own team and if they were unaware, I am sure that Pete Adams would have pointed it out to them.

I think in these  particular circumstances it would be naive of BV to think that Masters or any other Wolves rider would accept the booking or, if they did,  that they would give 100%. I doubt the Wolves management and fans would be best pleased if the points they scored got BV into the play offs at Wolves expense.

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

I don’t think riders think like that. It’s another chance of earning more money.

Harris guests a lot and his team are in the position of a top 4 place.

I don't agree with you on that one Steve, if Sam had ridden for BV last night and got the points that gave them something from the meeting I would be absolutely furious, and I'm pretty sure Pete and CVS would be aswell. You don't bite the hand that feeds you

Checked out the result last night. That was enough for me. My worst fear confirmed-No points. On to Monday. Really fear missing the play-offs now.

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

It's not a question of guesting generally but specifically for a team which is directly in contention with your own club for a place in the play offs.  Wolves and BV are both currently on +2, when comparing points dropped at home against points gained away and their race points scored difference was identical. It was therefore vital for Wolves that not only did BV  not gain any league points but also that they lost by as many race points as possible.  I doubt that any Wolves rider would not be aware that any advantage to BV could deny them the opportunity of certainly 2 and possibly 4 meetings for their own team and if they were unaware, I am sure that Pete Adams would have pointed it out to them.

I think in these  particular circumstances it would be naive of BV to think that Masters or any other Wolves rider would accept the booking or, if they did,  that they would give 100%. I doubt the Wolves management and fans would be best pleased if the points they scored got BV into the play offs at Wolves expense.

Most of the times the riders don’t know what points they scored or what’s points tally their team is on in the meeting never mind what the league table looks like. The promotions most definitely would do and wouldn’t be happy if one of his teams riders helped another gain an advantage in the race for the top 4.

Riders as basically self employed. I doubt any promotion would try stop their riders earning money. And bearing in mind Masters is an Edinburgh asset, Morris is a Swindon asset and Schlein isn’t owned by Wolves and both he and Nick have guested for a few teams recently.

54 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

I don't agree with you on that one Steve, if Sam had ridden for BV last night and got the points that gave them something from the meeting I would be absolutely furious, and I'm pretty sure Pete and CVS would be aswell. You don't bite the hand that feeds you

I agree with you totally on the sentiment. But this is what you get when riders ride for 2 teams in the same league and 2 or 3 in other countries!

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think people could put up with long meetings if the racing was fabulous or quick meetings with few passes if the team are winning, but long meetings with poor racing is a bad combination. 

You think quite correctly in respect of how I feel. It is a long time since the racing was fabulous. I would settle for half of the heats being worthy of the name "race". On Monday there were three = very poor VFM ( and hence I did not go last night ).

Must have watched a different meeting than most because other than the Heat 5 race between Riss, Jorgensen and Bewley and Heat 14 with Jorgensen and Lidsey, nothing much happened.

My 5th home meeting of the season and I'd say only one of them has been decent.

Jorgensen and Kerr were excellent, the rest did their jobs. Belle Vue obviously struggled without Fricke.

The sport today is so different from that of  the past.  Back then the riders were involved with the team as much as the fans.   There were more teams in our leagues and less riding abroad.  Questing was used but for the few instead of the many we see nowadays...    Today the riders are more like mercenaries earning a quick buck without a thought for the implications it might create.   Even the most loyal will ride for the opposition if the chance arose...  Even helping your arch rival to gain the points at your expense  is not a consideration.

It's best not to compare the past with the present.   Yes, I understand the gigantic expense that riders must find,  and those extra meetings are probably a godsend to the riders...   But it does nothing for creating a team bond between Fans Riders and Promoters.  A connection today, that is so obviously missing.    We talk about the reasons why the fan base is perpetually  dwindling, yet here we have a brilliant example why,  but as usual nothing will change....

• Thanks 2

Robert Lambert making his comeback to racing tonight in Poland, so should be back for Kings Lynn`s next fixture.

29 minutes ago, g13webb said:

We talk about the reasons why the fan base is perpetually  dwindling, yet here we have a brilliant example why,  but as usual nothing will change....

This will be one of the things which lead to the end of the UK speedway scene "as we know it". What will return - IF anything does survive the collapse of the professional leagues it may be a return to basics on standardised lower powered bikes. But if there is no-one to step in and get something like this going ASAP ( within five years max ) the stadiums will quickly be utilised for other things inc. housing.

1 hour ago, screm said:

Robert Lambert making his comeback to racing tonight in Poland, so should be back for Kings Lynn`s next fixture.

Looked very tentative in his first,scored a 2nd in his 2nd but missed that.

33 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Looked very tentative in his first,scored a 2nd in his 2nd but missed that.

To be honest he has looked very tentative all season, he gets beaten up so easily especially on the first turns, in Poland if he has a rider get anywhere near him he backs off. He needs to go to the Bartosz Zmarzlik training school !!!

The fans enjoyed the selfie session (my name for it) after the meeting on Thursday, they had the chance to have a word with the team on the track/centre and loved it, everyone who wanted to that is.  

Thursday was all about getting the win and the team did that emphatically :D  Now onto Belle Vue Monday, now that's one we NEED to win, we're taking a minibus up there, looking forward to the trip :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sommelier said:

To be honest he has looked very tentative all season, he gets beaten up so easily especially on the first turns, in Poland if he has a rider get anywhere near him he backs off. He needs to go to the Bartosz Zmarzlik training school !!!

No he doesn't, he's fine ......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trees said:

No he doesn't, he's fine ......

I think you have rose tinted!!!

10 hours ago, sommelier said:

I think you have rose tinted!!!

Rob does it his way, I don't want him emulating anyone, he's young, a very talented rider and is building up nicely. Just had a set back with this injury but fingers crossed it's healed ok and he doesn't have any more crashes any time soon .....

• Like 1