British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Favourite Rider of All Time

Like has already been said, hard to choose between Ronnie Moore & Tommy Jansson. My favourite non Wimbledon rider was West Ham's pocket dynamo, Christer Lofqvist.

Loved the style of "martin ashby and paul thorp"  could watch them on there own all day .

25 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

I quite liked Roman Matousek

Bit of a 'brat' apparently when an ex-rider cum trainer (can't recall his name) was interviewed in an edtion of 'Backtrack' some years ago.

With 56 seasons of Speedway... not easy

Peter Collins for me.... also he has to be the most talented racer that I have ever seen... pure genius...

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Bit of a 'brat' apparently when an ex-rider cum trainer (can't recall his name) was interviewed in an edtion of 'Backtrack' some years ago.

Oh yes Roman!  I remember an evening at Brandon when he was riding a new " all singing & dancing" GM. I'm sure it was Bees v Reading and Roman was " lined up" & passed by Jan Andersson on his dilapidated looking old Jawa.:D

Roman wasn't impressed,  after the race finished he rode up alongside Jan & gesticulated towards the engine. I thought WW3 was about to start, Andersson took offence , believing that Roman was accusing him of having a "large engine" and there were ructions in the pits area.

I think Andersson insisted that the engine was examined there & then and if my memory serves me Tommy Knudsen took the top off the engine and measured its capacity.

Everything checked out fine and we all moved on.:D

Edited by Dave Jones
spelling
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Oh yes Roman!  I remember an evening at Brandon when he was riding a new " all singing & dancing" GM. I'm sure it was Bees v Reading and Roman was " lined up" & passed by Jan Andersson on his dilapidated looking old Jawa.:D

Roman wasn't impressed,  after the race finished he rode up alongside Jan & gesticulated towards the engine. I thought WW3 was about to start, Andersson took offence , believing that Roman was accusing him of having a "large engine" and there were ructions in the pits area.

I think Andersson insisted that the engine was examined there & then and if my memory serves me Tommy Knudsen took the top off the engine and measured its capacity.

Everything checked out fine and we all moved on.:D

That is exactly how i remember the incident- Jan was fuming and insisted on the engine being checked there and then !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

That is exactly how i remember the incident- Jan was fuming and insisted on the engine being checked there and then !!

I amaze myself sometimes, I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago, but 30 years ago is clear in my mind.:D

• Like 2

Back on topic, my favourite has to be the O O  . I first saw him ride in a world title qualifier at Owlerton in 1966 , his first official outings in UK I think. He won the first heat of the night against three other Scandinavians and created an immediate impression.

I followed his progress firstly at Newcastle, and then got to watch him on a regular basis when he moved to the Midlands. Had some great moments watching  & supporting Ole, and always liked listening to what he had to say He had then & still has a wonderful personality.

• Confused 1