British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Favourite Rider of All Time

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Barry Briggs

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Barry Briggs

Can you remember when Kilb beat Briggo in heat 1 at the Abbey for the Exeter Falcons Doris.?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trees said:

How the hell can anyone pick one rider .... Rob Lambert, Darcy Ward, Michael Lee, Mark Loram, Erik Riss Jesus I could fill the page up times over :)

I have lots of favourites but Garry Middledton created an impression on me when I first went to speedway in 1972.

Peter Craven, I was there at Wembley in 1962 when he won his 2nd World championship

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, jaykay2PT said:

Peter Craven, I was there at Wembley in 1962 when he won his 2nd World championship

Had his rosette on the wall, and remember that terrible evening when he lost his life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Can you remember when Kilb beat Briggo in heat 1 at the Abbey for the Exeter Falcons Doris.?

Wasn't there, but saw photo in the Kilb book. Other faves Hitchy Ashby Kilb Broady Keener Steady Killer Adams etc.,

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Wasn't there, but saw photo in the Kilb book. Other faves Hitchy Ashby Kilb Broady Keener Steady Killer Adams etc.,

Great picture that all those names were legends always felt sorry for Hitchy he missed out on the 1967 league title win. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I have lots of favourites but Garry Middledton created an impression on me when I first went to speedway in 1972.

If you put it that way my fav rider has to be Michael Lee then cos he's the rider I first loved to watch age 10 lol

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trees said:

If you put it that way my fav rider has to be Michael Lee then cos he's the rider I first loved to watch age 10 lol

Michael bought his first bike off Garry Middleton...there's a connection!

Bo Peterson at lakeside could turn a bike on a sixpence...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, waco said:

Bo Peterson at lakeside could turn a bike on a sixpence...

I remember Bo returning to Hackney for Barry Thomas' second testimonial and leaving our (and the NL) top two Steve Schofield and Andy Galvin trailing in his wake, which was a pretty surreal experience after watching them dominate all year.

Bo was a class act, and so skillful for such a tall man.

• Like 1

Kenny Carter,Hans Nielsen,Per Jonsson.

Leigh Adams. Majestic.

But I missed the 80s and 90s, so from a bit further back:

Peter Collins. Just fab to watch.

Martin Ashby and David Ashby. The former, because he could give World Champions a run for their money. The latter, because a David Ashby maximum is truly a collector’s item.

• Like 1