British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Favourite Rider of All Time

1 hour ago, waco said:

Bo Peterson at lakeside could turn a bike on a sixpence...

Saw his first competitive rides at White City and the return fixture that same day at The Wick and you could tell that he had class.

• Like 1

Martin Goodwin & Jason Crump not often you would get them partnered together 

Alan Wilkinson - the perfect club captain.

My all time favourite rider is Dan Forsberg who rode for Birmingham in 1952 and again in 1957. Dan was very much under-rated and was in my opinion, every bit as good a rider as were Ove Fundin and Olle Nygren - he was a pure racer and didn't have the ruthlessness of most of the other Swedes which is probably why he was so much overshadowed by them. Dan had a brilliant first season with the Brummies but was repeatedly obstructed by the Swedish authorities who resented him riding in England and put all kinds of obstacles in his way, which caused him to miss so many Birmingham matches and resulted in Les Marshall not retaining his services for the following season.

When he returned to Birmingham in 1957 he looked as good as ever, only being beaten once by the opposition in the home fixtures in which he rode that year.

It was my pleasure to meet him for the first time when he came over to watch the Brummies re-opening meeting in 2007.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, brianbuck said:

My all time favourite rider is Dan Forsberg who rode for Birmingham in 1952 and again in 1957. Dan was very much under-rated and was in my opinion, every bit as good a rider as were Ove Fundin and Olle Nygren - he was a pure racer and didn't have the ruthlessness of most of the other Swedes which is probably why he was so much overshadowed by them. Dan had a brilliant first season with the Brummies but was repeatedly obstructed by the Swedish authorities who resented him riding in England and put all kinds of obstacles in his way, which caused him to miss so many Birmingham matches and resulted in Les Marshall not retaining his services for the following season.

When he returned to Birmingham in 1957 he looked as good as ever, only being beaten once by the opposition in the home fixtures in which he rode that year.

It was my pleasure to meet him for the first time when he came over to watch the Brummies re-opening meeting in 2007.

Thats what makes our sport so special memories and u get to meet your hero.

• Like 2

shawn moran for me.sheffield getting pasted all over the place away but one thing was pretty much nailed on that no home rider would go through the card unbeaten.magic to watch.

I don't have an all-time favourite rider. I admire them all. But when I first started following speedway in 1946, although a New Cross supporter then my favourite rider for a couple of years was Ernie Price of Bradford.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:44 PM, Roger Martins said:

Anders Michanek

Yes.

Newcastle 1970.

I have already stated Kenny as one of my all time favorites, why, the admiration I had for him to dig so deep, injuries, nothing phased him! 

7 minutes ago, sommelier said:

I have already stated Kenny as one of my all time favorites, why, the admiration I had for him to dig so deep, injuries, nothing phased him! 

Except Michael Lee in the Golden Helmet 1983 both great riders Kenny superb at Hyde Rd.

13 minutes ago, Crumpet77 said:

He wasn't phased by shooting someone either. 

Lets remember Kenny on track, not off track RIP Kenny

1 minute ago, Crumpet77 said:

Let's not, a murderer is always a murderer.

We will agree to disagree RIP King Kenny

• Like 1

Charlie Monk , the king of Glasgow 

• Like 2