British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Favourite Rider of All Time

Gordon Kennett. I watched him as a kid at school when he was at the top of his game and then enjoyed him when he dropped down a division to spearhead Eastbourne once more. One of the most underrated riders England has had, an Eastbourne legend..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M.D said:

Gordon Kennett. I watched him as a kid at school when he was at the top of his game and then enjoyed him when he dropped down a division to spearhead Eastbourne once more. One of the most underrated riders England has had, an Eastbourne legend..

Good choice...watched him progress at Cowley and later at White City when he graduated to World Class.

• Like 1

Erik Gundersen.

There are loads of riders over the years that I have been a big fan of and been entertained by, but none of them really come close to Erik...I just wish that we could have enjoyed watching him racing for a few more years. 

17 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Erik Gundersen.

There are loads of riders over the years that I have been a big fan of and been entertained by, but none of them really come close to Erik...I just wish that we could have enjoyed watching him racing for a few more years. 

Todd Wiltshire - Yeh he was a gater but bloody hell did he get me into the sport, he gave me so many happy nights, and i love him for that.

Per Jonsson - He helped my voice break at Bradford 1990 and i love him for that too. Top top rider and it still sickens me how his career ended.

Edited by The Doctor...

13 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Todd Wiltshire - Yeh he was a gater but bloody hell did he get me into the sport, he gave me so many happy nights, and i love him for that.

Per Jonsson - He helped my voice break at Bradford 1990 and i love him for that too.

I know it won't be a popular opinion with you, but I am sure Per benefited from Erik's sad exit from the sport. The 1990 World Champ would have been Erik or Hans again if Erik hadn't been taken out the sport.

Todd...Yeah, he wasn't anything special other than his gating ability. Although, he DID probably do more farewell laps than any other rider in SGP history :blink::rofl:

3 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I know it won't be a popular opinion with you, but I am sure Per benefited from Erik's sad exit from the sport. The 1990 World Champ would have been Erik or Hans again if Erik hadn't been taken out the sport.

Todd...Yeah, he wasn't anything special other than his gating ability. Although, he DID probably do more farewell laps than any other rider in SGP history :blink::rofl:

Most likely..

Also Ermolenko missed that year because of his serious injuries the year before... and he flew at Odsal.

4 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I agree - i never saw Erik race but know it would have been a danish carve up thru the 90s if it weren't for his injury.  The youtube clips are sickening.

31 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Erik Gundersen.

Although he was Cradley, our arch rivals, I can remember being tremendously upset at his injuries.

Boy do I miss Wolves/Cradley :(

Still cannot for the life of me understand why the hell they didn't put Cradley back in the top flight riding at Monmore years ago. The gates from the Wolves/Cradley matches would be the equivalent of a play off final... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Most likely..

Also Ermolenko missed that year because of his serious injuries the year before... and he flew at Odsal.

Was never a big fan of him - tho spent some time pre and post at the gp challenge in krsko donkeys years ago with a mutual friend - not such a pillock in real life and a nice bloke.  

15 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I forgot about Sam being out that year too...
There were a few years there in the late 80's and early 90's where properly serious injuries cut the depth of the challengers in the World Championships. Some serious "what if" chat could be had around those years!
Erik, Sam, Tommy, JanO, Per and Todd...and there are probably others that I am forgetting.

1 hour ago, HenryW said:

I'm gonna ignore that!  

8 hours ago, HenryW said:

I forgot about Sam being out that year too...
There were a few years there in the late 80's and early 90's where properly serious injuries cut the depth of the challengers in the World Championships. Some serious "what if" chat could be had around those years!
Erik, Sam, Tommy, JanO, Per and Todd...and there are probably others that I am forgetting.

Yep spot on, strangely Sam's leg break in 93, although not as serious as the 89 crash had a bigger effect. 

He was absolutely dominant that season but was never quite the same force when he returned (style changed). Still managed rostrum places, 10pt averages (albeit larger league) and BLRC wins but not as dominant as prior. 

Too many down the years to name one

Keith Millard,  John Barker, Richard Green, Steve Regeling, Chris Harris, Emil Saifutdinov, Hans Niellson, Sam Ermelenko, Phil Crump, Mark Loram  to name a few

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Per Jonsson - He helped my voice break at Bradford 1990 and i love him for that too. Top top rider and it still sickens me how his career ended.

Don’t remind me - I drew Zoltán Adorján in the sweepstake. :( Per was a class act. 

Although it’s Hans Nielsen for me.

• Like 1