British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Favourite Rider of All Time

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Very difficult choice but  Reider Eide just edges it.

For many who have started watching the sport over the past decade, Rider Replacement could be their favourite....  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Back on topic, my favourite has to be the O O  . I first saw him ride in a world title qualifier at Owlerton in 1966 , his first official outings in UK I think. He won the first heat of the night against three other Scandinavians and created an immediate impression.

I followed his progress firstly at Newcastle, and then got to watch him on a regular basis when he moved to the Midlands. Had some great moments watching  & supporting Ole, and always liked listening to what he had to say He had then & still has a wonderful personality.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo ;)

1 minute ago, Midland Red said:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo ;)

I know he wasn't your cup of tea, but I always admired his natural ability. To have him at the bees was the icing on the cake for me. He pulled the team together IMO.:D

• Like 2

Jeremy Doncaster (although Scott Nicholls isn't far behind).

14 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I know he wasn't your cup of tea, but I always admired his natural ability. To have him at the bees was the icing on the cake for me. He pulled the team together IMO.:D

I agree with you regarding Ole, I was fortunate to watch Ole week in week out at Wolves in the early 70's, for me Ole and Gollob were the two most graceful riders ever to throw their leg over a speedway bike

1 minute ago, sommelier said:

I agree with you regarding Ole, I was fortunate to watch Ole week in week out at Wolves in the early 70's, for me Ole and Gollob were the two most graceful riders ever to throw their leg over a speedway bike

Back in those times I regularly did two or three meetings a week. Coventry on Saturdays, Wolves on Monday and Long Eaton midweek. I had the pleasure of watching OO at Wolves most weeks, and remember well the tussle that the CO had getting him to brandon after Ole asked for a move away from monmore. His second world title win is still etched in my memory A great time to be a speedway supporter.:t:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Back in those times I regularly did two or three meetings a week. Coventry on Saturdays, Wolves on Monday and Long Eaton midweek. I had the pleasure of watching OO at Wolves most weeks, and remember well the tussle that the CO had getting him to brandon after Ole asked for a move away from monmore. His second world title win is still etched in my memory A great time to be a speedway supporter.:t:

Great days, me with my mum and dad always did Wolves on a Friday, Cradley on a Saturday and Birmingham on a Monday. I was at Gothenburg when Ole won his first world title. The two riders always give Ole a good run for his money around Wolves was Michanek and Ray Wilson

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Great days, me with my mum and dad always did Wolves on a Friday, Cradley on a Saturday and Birmingham on a Monday. I was at Gothenburg when Ole won his first world title. The two riders always give Ole a good run for his money around Wolves was Michanek and Ray Wilson

Ah yes Wolves on a Friday. Perhaps my long term memory isn't as good as I imagined.:D

Michanek was a rider who always seemed to be a thorn in the side for Ole.

15 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Jeremy Doncaster (although Scott Nicholls isn't far behind).

I remember when he had a punch up with Savalas clouting at Poole on first bend funny as

Me too, Sal took him off. Clouting by name........  Also remember him pulling off his dirt deflector and chucking it along the stock car track at Foxhall! 

• Like 1

How the hell can anyone pick one rider .... Rob Lambert, Darcy Ward, Michael Lee, Mark Loram, Erik Riss Jesus I could fill the page up times over :)

Barry Briggs

Edited by auntie doris