British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Belle Vue v King's Lynn 26/08/19

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Injured apparently, looks like he was replaced in in last ride in Poland yesterday despite scoring 9.

He took all  his programmed rides but was replaced by a reserve in heat 14 (nominated) which does happen when a match has long been won- in fact in his last ride he went from 4th to 3rd !!!!

16 minutes ago, lastword said:

I suspect that the track staff were far from being 'caught out'.  

True it was 'rubbish' meeting as far as the racing went.................but it suited the home team and after all that is what the management required.

Gaters' paradise? Yep, but that applies to both teams. Three heat winners from King's Lynn all meeting says it all.

I wouldn't be happy to see a meeting like this every week, but the situation demanded an Aces big win and that was what we got.

Speaking to track curator Andy Meredith, he told me he was 'caught out'. He put a substantial amount of water on last night and again this morning but the sun failed to materialise until almost start time. He'd anticipated - and all the weather reports stated - that the sun would come out and dry the surface out far more than it did, leaving it really grippy (hence Dan Bewley breaking the track record). Further watering was then needed to keep the dust down.

It was poor, with only heat 10 & heat 15 being up to the usual high standard.

It was, nevertheless, job done, with Jaimon Lidsey in particular very impressive. 

• Like 1

Worst meeting ever at NSS.  But today wasnt all about racing. It was about getting the win and we did just that. 

Lemon I heard asked for the track to be totally different and make it really grippy which I thought why would he want that as Lynn riders would love it. But what do I know because it suited us more clearly as we brushed Lynn aside fairly easily. 

All goes down to Peterborough now for belle vue. But I can see Ipswich missing out and us wolves Swindon and Poole in play offs

Edited by Phil The Ace

Do wonder if it was deliberately done that track prep. Never seen it like that.

Suited us great, and tbh, I'd have thought KL would have got dialled in after few races, they race a track like that every other week.

Aces just wanted it more and were gating like demons, especially Jaimon who was rapid out the tapes.

• Like 1

Looks like another bridesmaid season for Lynn.  Oh well there’s always next year, hopefully 

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Id even go as far to say that MOST fans consider racing at their local track decent.

I think there may be a lot of truth in that, but it is also true that there are less and less and less fans, at all of those tracks, because the truth is that only two or three races in any meeting are worthy of the name. That is one of the main reasons why the number of UK supporters has plummetted over the last 10 to 15 years. Domestic UK speedway is increasingly perceived as poor VFM.

• Like 2

Just now, waytogo28 said:

I think there may be a lot of truth in that, but it is also true that there are less and less and less fans, at all of those tracks, because the truth is that only two or three races in any meeting are worthy of the name. That is one of the main reasons why the number of UK supporters has plummetted over the last 10 to 15 years. Domestic UK speedway is increasingly perceived as poor VFM.

That and the continued watering down of the product.

• Like 3

Great win, result all that mattered today.  Some big meetings coming up especially September 5th.

The explanation given by Halifaxtiger of his conversation with Andrew Meredith is not only straight from the horses mouth but the most credible. It was overcast until about 10.45-11.00 and when I arrived in the car park it was 18c. When the sun came out it was 25c.  If it had been out from about 9am the track would have dried more quickly and we would have had a more typical surface.  It would have been a high risk strategy to deliberately prepare a grippy track for a visiting team used to riding that type of track at home. 

The racing was poor for the NSS but for me still an enjoyable meeting, not just for the vital win but to see Bewley more  confident and riding like his pre injury self and Lidsey showing great riding skill and maturity.

37 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Have to agree.

47 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

The simple truth is that racing is no better or worse than it has been for decades. The problem is perhaps more related to the fact that while the experience has remained the same, the price of entry has gone up disproportionately to people's incomes (to be fair, that might be the very point you are attempting to make).

Clubs simply have to do more on race days, although I should say that the attendance was maybe  2,500 today. 

The market is there, at least to a degree.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Worst meeting ever at NSS.  But today wasnt all about racing. It was about getting the win and we did just that. 

Lemon I heard asked for the track to be totally different and make it really grippy which I thought why would he want that as Lynn riders would love it. But what do I know because it suited us more clearly as we brushed Lynn aside fairly easily. 

All goes down to Peterborough now for belle vue. But I can see Ipswich missing out and us wolves Swindon and Poole in play offs

If that 's the case then whoever finishes top will pick BV.

It was a year ago today Dan Bewley broke his leg in 9 places as well as shoulder and wrist. What a day to break track record!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rob B said:

It was a year ago today Dan Bewley broke his leg in 9 places as well as shoulder and wrist. What a day to break track record!

According to the proboards site, 25 August 2018. That, however, is nit picking.

I saw the crash at Workington and it was truly awful - I was actually relieved that his injuries were what they were. 

To break the track record today would have been a fantastic achievement no matter what. To do it after what happened is a remarkable one.

• Like 2