Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Belle Vue v King's Lynn 26/08/19

17 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The simple truth is that racing is no better or worse than it has been for decades. The problem is perhaps more related to the fact that while the experience has remained the same, the price of entry has gone up disproportionately to people's incomes.

Clubs simply have to do more on race days.

It's not just about the racing though is it? Because of the lack of tactical options these days most matches are cut and dried after a few races (unless your team is particularly poor at home) with team managers having their hands tied if the one and only tactical move doesn't pay off the home victory is never normally in doubt. I've been a regular at Leicester this season and except for 2 matches that were memorable the rest have been instantly forgettable with a Lions home victory never in doubt and most "races" being over after the 2nd bend with riders being strung out 20 yards apart... unless Scott Nicholls or Chris Harris are in the race. The full range of tactical options really do need bringing back and the sooner the better. Half the fun in the good old days was looking through the programme and second guessing the team manager... these days with just the 1 tac sub I don't even buy a programme any more

Edited by iainb

13 minutes ago, Rob B said:

It was a year ago today Dan Bewley broke his leg in 9 places as well as shoulder and wrist. What a day to break track record!

It was actually 25th August 2018 he broke his leg ... Workington v Lakeside but that’s splitting hairs.. It’s also 3 years ago this weekend that he had his first big smash at Newcastle v Edinburgh ( 28th) so something about the August bank holiday weekend for Dan to remember over the years with now holding the NSS track record 

Edited by KEITH M

4 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

It was actually 24th August 2018 he broke his leg ... Workington v Lakeside but that’s splitting hairs.. It’s also 3 years ago this weekend that he had his first big smash at Newcastle v Edinburgh ( 27th) so something about the August bank holiday weekend for Dan to remember over the years 

Ah right ok, it’s Dan himself who said today in interview at Belle Vue and on social media.

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's not just about the racing though is it? Because of the lack of tactical options these days most matches are cut and dried after a few races (unless your team is particularly poor at home) with team managers having their hands tied if the one and only tactical move doesn't pay off the home victory is never normally in doubt. I've been a regular at Leicester this season and except for 2 matches that were memorable the rest have been instantly forgettable with a Lions home victory never in doubt and most "races" being over after the 2nd bend with riders being strung out 20 yards apart... unless Scott Nicholls or Chris Harris is in the race. The full range of tactical options really do need bringing back and the sooner the better. Half the fun in the good old days was looking through the programme and second guessing the team manager... these days with just the 1 tac sub I don't even buy a programme any more

I certainly don't agree that most matches are finished after a few races - that certainly wasn't the case today and I'd point out that Newcastle last week the Diamonds were winning by 12 points at heat 9 only to lose the meeting. 

You have two problems at Leicester. For a start, it has a notorious reputation for poor racing. Secondly (and this might not been seen as a problem as such) you have a very good team, top of the table and looking nailed on for a play off position. That means that they are going to thump a few away sides. 

I don't disagree about tactical changes but suspect that you & I are in the minority. Certainly, there are numerous number of people on here that rail against 'artificial' score changes. 

5 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I certainly don't agree that most matches are finished after a few races - that certainly wasn't the case today and I'd point out that Newcastle last week the Diamonds were winning by 12 points at heat 9 only to lose the meeting. 

You have two problems at Leicester. For a start, it has a notorious reputation for poor racing. Secondly (and this might not been seen as a problem as such) you have a very good team, top of the table and looking nailed on for a play off position. That means that they are going to thump a few away sides. 

I don't disagree about tactical changes but suspect that you & I are in the minority. Certainly, there are numerous number of people on here that rail against 'artificial' score changes. 

I suppose it's what you define as "artificial". As for today the result wasn't in doubt after the tactical failed... I know you'll say that was heat 9... But the manager did hold off from using it until that point because he could only use it once. I take your point about Leicester's strength though

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, pubichair said:

Hope Thomas Jorgensen never rides for lynn after this season dreadful away 

I said before the season started that the Stars won't get anything away from the AFA this season. I wasn't far out so far, I have no pleasure in saying:(

This is not including today. And are not rolling averages, just this seasons averages so far... Lynn have been very poor on the road. Not blaming any one rider, there a several who go pretty well at home, but  you need some points on the road. Our engine room have been poor away all season.

Still hoping to get some points in the remaining away matches.. :t:

TJ    Home 7.71 …….  Away 4.14

Lewis    Home 7.09 ….. Away 4.24

Tofty    Home …. 7.44 …. Away 5.24

Erik    Home … 8.00 ….. Away 5.54

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, semion said:

Looks like another bridesmaid season for Lynn.  Oh well there’s always next year, hopefully 

Not that good - page boys at best :wink:

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I suppose it's what you define as "artificial". As for today the result wasn't in doubt after the tactical failed... I know you'll say that was heat 9... But the manager did hold off from using it until that point because he could only use it once. I take your point about Leicester's strength though

We'll have to disagree about the result today. I certainly wasn't being complacent until the 5-1 in heat 11, as at that time the Aces still had to prevent King's Lynn getting a point. 

I do agree about tactical changes. Anything to make a meeting more competitive and interesting, and those who compare speedway with other sports in their arguments against it are talking nonsense. 

I went to the handicap meeting at Isle Of Wight a week or so ago and co-promoter Martin Widman commented that the passing was 'artificial' (to be fair to Martin, I put that word in his mouth).

My response was 'Who cares ?'

Taken all round (because the Warriors do so, so much more than run a speedway match), it's the best meeting I have seen this season :approve:

Today again raises the issue of meetings taking place in the afternoon.

Regular fans understand and will tolerate the watering delays but first timers may take a different view.

Not one of the best meetings at the NSS but still enjoyed my day out , heat 15 was a cracker though......ooh it was Hot !!

36 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Today again raises the issue of meetings taking place in the afternoon.

Regular fans understand and will tolerate the watering delays but first timers may take a different view.

If BV can't make it work, no one can! 

12 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You posting from Wolves????:rofl:

5 hours ago, Rob B said:

Craig Cook just been an idiot again, track staff were repairing damaged fence by starting gate plenty of people on track, Cook rode round to the starting gate even though referee put red lights on. Clerk of course walked up to him and told him he had to leave and he didn’t, so clerk of the course pulled his cut out.

Maybe he couldn't hear anything with his helmet on! Ha ha! Still love Cookie, even though he does have these moments. 

27 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Day meetings are usually the best meetings at belle vue. Today totally the opposite 

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

Not that good - page boys at best :wink:

Mother of the bride is reserved for Peterborough 

• Like 1