British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Ipswich v King's Lynn 70s & 80s rivalry

In Issue 94, our new 'Rivalry' feature will reflect on some of those classic East Anglian derby clashes from the 70s and 80s, so what are YOUR memories of battles between Ipswich and King's Lynn from that particular era?

The infamous Kevin Jolly 'incident', when he 'fell' to force a rerun that went Witches' way, is one that no doubt springs to mind . . .

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, tmc said:

In Issue 94, our new 'Rivalry' feature will reflect on some of those classic East Anglian derby clashes from the 70s and 80s, so what are YOUR memories of battles between Ipswich and King's Lynn from that particular era?

The infamous Kevin Jolly 'incident', when he 'fell' to force a rerun that went Witches' way, is one that no doubt springs to mind . . .

I'd be very interested in reading anecdotes regarding Ipswich & King's Lynn encounters knowing how important local derbies were once thought of amongst rival fans. We had our fair share at Cowley with derby matches between Oxford, Swindon and Reading...alas no longer.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 8:38 AM, steve roberts said:

I'd be very interested in reading anecdotes regarding Ipswich & King's Lynn encounters knowing how important local derbies were once thought of amongst rival fans. We had our fair share at Cowley with derby matches between Oxford, Swindon and Reading...alas no longer.

Those local derbies were very special Steve against Oxford,Reading, and i also enjoyed the Newport rivalry i.e.) i.e.) Streety, Crumpie, Triggy, Tebbyect)!.Out of interest Steve did you get to see much of Conny Samuelsson in a cheetahs race jacket.?

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Those local derbies were very special Steve against Oxford,Reading, and i also enjoyed the Newport rivalry i.e.) i.e.) Streety, Crumpie, Triggy, Tebbyect)!.Out of interest Steve did you get to see much of Conny Samuelsson in a cheetahs race jacket.?

Unfortunately no...someone I would have like to have seen. An enigma around Cowley but classy on the larger circuits (Swindon & Coventry). Would enjoy reading an interview with him in 'Backtrack'.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Unfortunately no...someone I would have like to have seen. An enigma around Cowley but classy on the larger circuits (Swindon & Coventry). Would enjoy reading an interview with him in 'Backtrack'.

He took ice speedway quite seriously Steve ? i only see Conny ride once for Oxford  Pander was another who i missed when he was in his pomp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

He took ice speedway quite seriously Steve ? i only see Conny ride once for Oxford  Pander was another who i missed when he was in his pomp.

Think he finished in the frame twice?