British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Rosco steps down as GB boss

On 8/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, ArthurRudge said:

What was it that was once said by Woffy every other teams manager takes them out to a nice restaurant on a strict dietary regime then you got Rosco takes GB to a kebab house. 

Terrible to eat anything resembling an elephants leg.

Another dinosaur swept away, a good thing really as he was always far from media savvy. Far too thin skinned.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Another dinosaur swept away, a good thing really as he was always far from media savvy. Far too thin skinned.

Thin skinned meaning he didn't take criticism well from those who have never ridden a bike but still thought they knew better.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Thin skinned meaning he didn't take criticism well

Of his role as a team manager and more often his indecision on actions he took as a team manager. I have never criticised him as a rider. He seems to have been a middling rider from what I do rememebr about him. And a lower middling team manager ( in my opinion - of course others like to elevate him and that is their choice ). I have ridden long, long ago and was not as accomplished as Rosco at riding.

1 minute ago, waytogo28 said:

Of his role as a team manager and more often his indecision on actions he took as a team manager. I have never criticised him as a rider. He seems to have been a middling rider from what I do rememebr about him. And a lower middling team manager ( in my opinion - of course others like to elevate him and that is their choice ). I have ridden long, long ago and was not as accomplished as Rosco at riding.

The point is those who have never ridden or manage give him a hard time.  Most supporters think they can do a better job but they can't.   Rosco has won the Premier league twice with different teams.    I am not his biggest fan but he must be doing something right.   Lower middling cannot be right.

All such things are about personal opinion of course and in the light of his Premier League  results they would  get him a higher rating from me. But let down in his apparent inability to work with the media and his inabilty to accept any other point of view as valid plus his invariable need to whinge about supporter reaction. It's not all happened since social media took off and supporters are entitled to their own point of view. When you acceot the position you must expect some likes and dislikes. Rosco seems to be a Marmite kind of person. He was never going to get on with Tai Woffinden and if you can't do that with your best rider , what kind of "manager" are you? He should have resigned when Rob Painter took over. That was the start of the "modern era" and he never fited in with their aspirations - in my opinion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

All such things are about personal opinion of course and in the light of his Premier League  results they would  get him a higher rating from me. But let down in his apparent inability to work with the media and his inabilty to accept any other point of view as valid plus his invariable need to whinge about supporter reaction. It's not all happened since social media took off and supporters are entitled to their own point of view. When you acceot the position you must expect some likes and dislikes. Rosco seems to be a Marmite kind of person. He was never going to get on with Tai Woffinden and if you can't do that with your best rider , what kind of "manager" are you? He should have resigned when Rob Painter took over. That was the start of the "modern era" and he never fited in with their aspirations - in my opinion.

I recall many years ago now when he was riding for Poole and he came up to the third bend terracing to chat to some Poole fans (he wasn't riding as he was injured if I remember) and in front of the Cowley faithfull began slagging us off! As you can imagine the reaction he got!

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, Mark said:

Thin skinned meaning he didn't take criticism well from those who have never ridden a bike but still thought they knew better.

You don't  have to ride ridden a speedway bike to be  a good team manager at Speedway or know better than someone who has .. silly comment .

1 minute ago, orion said:

You don't  have to ride ridden a speedway bike to be  a good team manager at Speedway or know better than someone who has .. silly comment .

If a rider wanted help with his set up, best line to ride or machinery a novice would not have a clue.    If a meeting is going badly how can a novioce give riders any advice or pep talk.   It isn't a silly comment but a sensible opinion.

7 hours ago, Mark said:

If a rider wanted help with his set up, best line to ride or machinery a novice would not have a clue.    If a meeting is going badly how can a novioce give riders any advice or pep talk.   It isn't a silly comment but a sensible opinion.

Unfortunately there are some on here who have a problem accepting somebody else's opinions. Afteral public forums are all about opinions and discussions on same.

Back to the question in hand Ian Thomas often quoted that during his tenure as England Mananger he was paired with Eric Boocock which made the perfect choice. Ian covered the rules and/or arrangements whilst Eric the technical issues with machinery etc...but of course that was during the days when England had a national team competing in the various disciplines that international speedway offered back then...team (including test matches) and pairs events as well as individual. Does Team GB (or whatever they're referred to as now) really need a team manager nowadays?

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Just as well i wasn’t a team manager in that case !!!- i would have been useless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Just as well i wasn’t a team manager in that case !!!- i would have been useless.

Probably right. :D

15 hours ago, Mark said:

You said people who had never ridden a bike should not comment or pass judgement  . some of the best tm's  of all time has never ridden a speedway bike  .Chris Morton were great riders but were clueless tm's .  as I said the have you even ridden speedway routine  comment is laugh about on here with good reason

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Unfortunately there are some on here who have a problem accepting somebody else's opinions. Afteral public forums are all about opinions and discussions on same.

Yea you with Shovlar as a rule ..and then there is Sidney