British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Conkers

Ice Speedway 2019-2020

Yes, I just saw a post from someone saying he might be out of hospital tomorrow, which sounds good

3 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Careful. You do that sort of thing and you'll get called a nerd.

I know.

I've been called worse, :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Nasty crash with Zorn and Weber. It is on youtube, but won't put it up. Seems Hans has some worrying injuries from the spikes

Dont know if you getting old Doug or have I seen too much of these, but it wasnt all that bad. But it could have been...

Just being safe. Saw something about the spikes and kidney injury and didn’t want to put anything too bad up 

11 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Iwema's crash sequence photos are absolutely spectacular. Glad he got up on his feet again afterwards.

Weber / Zorn crash is now uploaded too.

https://www.baansportfansite.nl/nieuws/1914/daniil-ivanov-ook-tijdens-tweede-wk-finale-in-almaty-de-sterkste.html

• Like 1

The way Weber seems to hit his chest to the handlebars might have been the main reason for his injuries?

Jesper seems to have spent all his mojo by now for 2020. You just cant go all season being in the right place at the right time and snapping all the crashes... :lol:

Just had an update on 'Eis-Hans' Weber, he's out of hospital with painful bruised ribs, but nothing broken. He's a bit sore, but is resting up before Togliatti.

• Like 2

Good news, nasty incident. If you watch the first lap the front on Webers bike was trying to tuck at that bit too, couldn't see from shaky footage whether that happened to Zorn,  Weber or both when the accident happened. 

Does the brittle state of the ice mean it is soft ice? I read about riders claiming ice being soft or hard and I'm not quite sure about the characteristics of each, can anyone help?

38 minutes ago, Schwantz34 said:

Good news, nasty incident. If you watch the first lap the front on Webers bike was trying to tuck at that bit too, couldn't see from shaky footage whether that happened to Zorn,  Weber or both when the accident happened. 

Does the brittle state of the ice mean it is soft ice? I read about riders claiming ice being soft or hard and I'm not quite sure about the characteristics of each, can anyone help?

With my english I’d say hard. Also a problem in Almaty apparently is the water that is used for the ice. Whether it was the fact that they are so high up or that the water comes from even higher it has different charasteristics compared to the one thats in Heerenveen for example.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Jesper seems to have spent all his mojo by now for 2020. You just cant go all season being in the right place at the right time and snapping all the crashes... :lol:

Haha will see what happens in Togliatti this weekend :P

Since w seem to in Question mode , does anyone know the sizes of all the varying track?

33 minutes ago, Schwantz34 said:

Thanks fsp, where would you get " soft" ice then?

Temperature dictates it. You try and freeze a track with cold water in -20c you get layers on top of each other that will come off when racing. If its really cold the ice will chop up and chunks could get loose... As a kid I used to help with hockey rinks outside. Give us -5 to -10 and warm water we’d give you a rink second to none. Thats when the warm water has enough time to melt the top of the excisting ice and becomes solid... Some hockey rinks use chenimicals in the water, or at least did, to help with the ice.

Soft ice stays together better, I’d say its more predictable to ride on than the kind that lets go when you turn to a corner. 

What is good or best is subjective. I’d guess a well prepared track with -5 to -10 on raceday is as good as it can get. Never heard anything positive if it goes below -20. On the other end of the scale it naturally starts to melt after 0, so its somewhere in between...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Icicle said:

Since w seem to in Question mode , does anyone know the sizes of all the varying track?

Meeting SR’s on Fim-live website has lenghts and widhts, but they have nothing to do with shape of the track. Gmaps is your best place to look how different they are to each other.

8 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Meeting SR’s on Fim-live website has lenghts and widhts, but they have nothing to do with shape of the track. Gmaps is your best place to look how different they are to each other.

That only works with outside tracks though:D