British Speedway Forum

For me Lindback will not get a wild card

Madsen, Zmarzlik, Emil, Vaculik, Freddie, Dudek.............those 6 seem safe

Magic, Laguta, Kolodziej, Doyle........2 of those 4 will qualify

Tai and Hancock will get 2 wildcards

I would imagine the other 2 wildcards could be the 2 riders that dont make it out of the 4 i listed 7th, 8th 9th and 10th (currently Kolodziej and Doyle)

The only other rider who may be considered is Lambert , but i only see him getting a wildcard if firstly Greg retires or secondly the organisers dont go for Laguta or Kolodziej if they finish outside the top 8

People with a lack of knowledge bang on about 'new blood'..would love the names of these 'new blood ' riders who could make the series better and be competitive

• Like 2

Michelson would be good to watch and would score points.   He would be the only one I would like to see in the GP's from the younger guys.

• Like 2

What I struggle to understand is why people complain about the current format, qualifying system etc. Because quite simply if it comes to 4 riders on a track accumulating points the best will always be at the top. There’s been many different scoring systems in the GPs since 1995 and to my knowledge it’s yet to make someone who wasn’t the best riders be at the top of the score charts come the end of the season. 

As for the qualifying I’m not sure how anyone can complain. Everyone is given a equal opportunity to qualify. Sometimes it throws a few surprises. Last night the top 4 were no real shock but that is sport and whether you like them or not they are the riders who earned it by right. 

The last 2 GPS have been two of the best there’s ever been so the personnel is fine. The main issue right now is staging GPs in venues worthy of such a competition. 

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Gavan said:

For me Lindback will not get a wild card

Madsen, Zmarzlik, Emil, Vaculik, Freddie, Dudek.............those 6 seem safe

Magic, Laguta, Kolodziej, Doyle........2 of those 4 will qualify

Tai and Hancock will get 2 wildcards

I would imagine the other 2 wildcards could be the 2 riders that dont make it out of the 4 i listed 7th, 8th 9th and 10th (currently Kolodziej and Doyle)

The only other rider who may be considered is Lambert , but i only see him getting a wildcard if firstly Greg retires or secondly the organisers dont go for Laguta or Kolodziej if they finish outside the top 8

People with a lack of knowledge bang on about 'new blood'..would love the names of these 'new blood ' riders who could make the series better and be competitive

Spot on. 

The only rider outside those you have mentioned who could genuinely be an improvement would be G. Laguta. But I wouldn't wildcard him as I think it sends out the wrong message. I hope he tries and qualifies through the challenge next year.

Drabik, Smeketa, Pawlicki, Michelson are all decent but aren't at the level of Doyle, Tai, Laguta, Magic, Hancock just yet

Why would Lambert get a full season wild card? Only reason for that is to fill the GB quota and U already have TW.

21 hours ago, Mark said:

Michelson would be good to watch and would score points.   He would be the only one I would like to see in the GP's from the younger guys.

My thoughts, my hope, was that Mikelson would have done well enough in the GP Challenge thus being in 2020 GPs, he didnt perform to the required level.

In recent years there have been a few, very few, real youngsters who have performed well enough to grace the GP scene successfully, mostly Poles ie Zmarzlik, Janowski, Dudek, whereas notably the Pawlicki brothers have failed.  Youngsters seem to struggle to do a full GP season, they may shine in an odd meeting, but other then that they can fall flat and that must be demoralising. As under 21's, and they still are, Drabik and Smektala were setting the world on fire, but only at their level - they were exceptional. Same with Fricke when he was world under 21 champ, but look not at Fricke, its a few years on and now he seems to be maturung to the next level. Lambert has had results in the under 21, still in it, but he is not in the same class as Drabik and Smektala (IMO). Let them mature a bit, the old school who are still showing the way will fade away, just enjoy them while they are still riding well.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, OveFundinFan said:

My thoughts, my hope, was that Mikelson would have done well enough in the GP Challenge thus being in 2020 GPs, he didnt perform to the required level.

In recent years there have been a few, very few, real youngsters who have performed well enough to grace the GP scene successfully, mostly Poles ie Zmarzlik, Janowski, Dudek, whereas notably the Pawlicki brothers have failed.  Youngsters seem to struggle to do a full GP season, they may shine in an odd meeting, but other then that they can fall flat and that must be demoralising. As under 21's, and they still are, Drabik and Smektala were setting the world on fire, but only at their level - they were exceptional. Same with Fricke when he was world under 21 champ, but look not at Fricke, its a few years on and now he seems to be maturung to the next level. Lambert has had results in the under 21, still in it, but he is not in the same class as Drabik and Smektala (IMO). Let them mature a bit, the old school who are still showing the way will fade away, just enjoy them while they are still riding well.

IMO nothing else is to expect. To be continuously successful over one or several GP-seasons just talent isn't enough. It also requires plenty of  experience regarding
both the actual racing (setups, tougher opposition) as well as logistics and mental preparations (different atmosphere, more pressure and etc). Therefore it takes time
to become established. I don't think it's fair on the young guns to be dismissed after just one season.

As for Lebedevs, his 2017 was really great but he then had a really tough 2018. However he seems to be on the rise
again and have done a couple really good meetings the past few weeks.

Edited by Ghostwalker

On 8/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, Mark said:

I don't disagree, however i suspect he won't get a permanent wildcard as there are already two Danes in 2020 GP's.  Iversen from the challenge & Madsen from the top 8.

I'm not convinced Kolodziej will get a permanent wildcard if he finishes outside the top 8.  Already 3 better Poles involved.

You have to think Grigory Laguta would add something to the series. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rico said:

You have to think Grigory Laguta would add something to the series. 

I agree totally, but there's Artem and Emil already from Russia so doubt he'll get a shot.

19 hours ago, Shockster said:

I agree totally, but there's Artem and Emil already from Russia so doubt he'll get a shot.

HIS refusal over many years not to take part in the qualifiers has always worked against him when it came to picking wild cards

I think as time goes on it is less likely Greg will be seen back in GP’s this year, there is only 4 left now and he says he not doing Teterow, so 3, though he could surprise and do Toruń and bow out of speedway completely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HIS refusal over many years not to take part in the qualifiers has always worked against him when it came to picking wild cards

I get that and he won't get in but he would be a great addition.  Not sure he'd win it now but reckon he'd get as close as anyone not riding in the GPs now.  We'll probably never know.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I think as time goes on it is less likely Greg will be seen back in GP’s this year, there is only 4 left now and he says he not doing Teterow, so 3, though he could surprise and do Toruń and bow out of speedway completely.

Greg has said he is not doing Vojens either- Lambert rides