British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HIS refusal over many years not to take part in the qualifiers has always worked against him when it came to picking wild cards

You said the same about Leon Madsen.

19 hours ago, Noodles said:

You said the same about Leon Madsen.

MADSEN's performances in Poland particularly and the SEC created an overwhelming case that Laguta, especially after a ban, has never matched.

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MADSEN's performances in Poland particularly and the SEC created an overwhelming case that Laguta, especially after a ban, has never matched.

G.Laguta is 10th in the polish averages after a year out the sport and he may well win the SEC so there maybe a strong case for his inclusion. Its shame Mikkel Michelsen didn't do better in the challenge because his league form in Sweden and in Poland has been excellent. Lambet needs to prove himself in the top leagues before he does GPs, hes 45th in the polish averages and 18th in the Swedish averages. If Janusz kolod manages to finish above Doyle, Iversen and Zagar I think it would be a little hash not to give him a wildcard.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:15 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Fricke ok, but the other two? Yawn.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, Panthers89 said:

Completely agree, same old tbh! 

Iversen & Zagar were sooooo boring & barely troubled the scorers in Teterow weren't they?

• Like 1

As we have said before the top 14 riders can all win a GP.    

I really don’t think Lambert is ready for a full season of GPS, perhaps another 2 years off. It’s been a good experience this year being series reserve, has given him more gps then probably thought, what with Greg not taking his place unfortunately.

Kolodeiz, apart from a GP win, which was really good, he hasn’t done much. He must have something going for him to win a gp, and I accept you can’t win gp every meeting, but some sort of consistency would be nice. He seems to be another Lindback, so frustrating cause you know what he can do but just doesn’t manage it for whatever reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

LOOKING more and more like two wild cards will go to Doyle and Woffinden with Hancock a possible third. 

Yesterday I said Hancock deserved a card for only sentimental reasons. Services to speedway and a farewell tour.  But having thought more I'd ask what more would he bring to the series that a young rider like Lambert or Mickelson would do.

The answer is he would bring less.  There is no chance of Hancock riding a race like Lambert did to beat Lindgren at Teterow.  That was exciting to watch.  

So my view is Sorry Greg you are out but maybe hand him a GP wild card in a couple of GP's so he gets a chance to say Goodbye.   Warsaw in front of 50000 a lovely way to finish or Torun.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yesterday I said Hancock deserved a card for only sentimental reasons. Services to speedway and a farewell tour.  But having thought more I'd ask what more would he bring to the series that a young rider like Lambert or Mickelson would do.

The answer is he would bring less.  There is no chance of Hancock riding a race like Lambert did to beat Lindgren at Teterow.  That was exciting to watch.  

So my view is Sorry Greg you are out but maybe hand him a GP wild card in a couple of GP's so he gets a chance to say Goodbye.   Warsaw in front of 50000 a lovely way to finish or Torun.

WOULDN'T argue with that ... maybe throw in Cardiff as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mark said:

That was a brilliant race but sadly he doesn't yet produce many, in fact his giving way to pressure is often disappointing, much as I'd like more Brits in the GPs, I don't really think he's quite ready yet.

26 minutes ago, foamfence said:

That was a brilliant race but sadly he doesn't yet produce many, in fact his giving way to pressure is often disappointing, much as I'd like more Brits in the GPs, I don't really think he's quite ready yet.

I agree.  Lambert's race was just an example of a young rider who would give more to the series with exciting racing.    There are a few riders I'd put in front of Hancock for a wild card.

31 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WOULDN'T argue with that ... maybe throw in Cardiff as well.

Yes Cardiff would be good for him. But a kick in the teeth for the British Champion and there is an argument not to disrupt our GB system.  There would be plenty of opportunity for Hancock with injury to fill in a few gaps.  

On 8/24/2019 at 9:12 PM, Panthers89 said:

Will retire IMO or concentrate on Sweden if he comes back at all

Agree. He won't be in the GP's next season and that will be good as he would be an also ran if he was in them.

Its all very well for "youngsters" to have time out from top line Speedway and then come back and get into the swing of things within a few weeks/months but someone who will be FIFTY next season is not going to be the same. He will not be as fit as he was (no matter what he has been doing), his reflexes will be another year older and also have become lazier, his body will ache more and he will not have the sharpness from the gate he has been famous for. Look at Tai, he's still nowhere near at his best yet after his injury, and I know that Greg has not had an injury but being out of speedway for any length of time takes its toll and theres no way he will be anywhere near the rider he has been IF he tried again in the GP's next year.

Common sense will (hopefully) prevail and he will retire gracefully, you see.

I did at one time npt so long ago think Greg should have a wild card for next year, but considering his current circumstance, p;us his age etc I think best would be for him to do Torun this year as a swan sing and that would be it.  To put him in as a full wild card next year would be too much for him and for the speedway fans in general. To put him in select GPs next year to wave good bye to all would be unfair to those riders in the nations Greg would get to be at not being able to have an opportunity to have a wild card spot.  To me, that leaves him riding at the final meet this year ie Torun and it would be his prerogative to do Cardiff this year as well. Might upset Robert but its Gregs call anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

I did at one time npt so long ago think Greg should have a wild card for next year, but considering his current circumstance, p;us his age etc I think best would be for him to do Torun this year as a swan sing and that would be it.  To put him in as a full wild card next year would be too much for him and for the speedway fans in general. To put him in select GPs next year to wave good bye to all would be unfair to those riders in the nations Greg would get to be at not being able to have an opportunity to have a wild card spot.  To me, that leaves him riding at the final meet this year ie Torun and it would be his prerogative to do Cardiff this year as well. Might upset Robert but its Gregs call anyway. 

I think it might have been (not sure) Magnus Zetterström who said something like, when asked about retirement, that if you start thinking about retiring then
you have already retired mentally, that one starts loosing/shifting focus to the retirement.

• Like 2