British Speedway Forum

On 9/1/2019 at 7:50 AM, ytsejam said:

Agree. He won't be in the GP's next season and that will be good as he would be an also ran if he was in them.

Its all very well for "youngsters" to have time out from top line Speedway and then come back and get into the swing of things within a few weeks/months but someone who will be FIFTY next season is not going to be the same. He will not be as fit as he was (no matter what he has been doing), his reflexes will be another year older and also have become lazier, his body will ache more and he will not have the sharpness from the gate he has been famous for. Look at Tai, he's still nowhere near at his best yet after his injury, and I know that Greg has not had an injury but being out of speedway for any length of time takes its toll and theres no way he will be anywhere near the rider he has been IF he tried again in the GP's next year.

Common sense will (hopefully) prevail and he will retire gracefully, you see.

He's still very keen so I dont think it will be any surprise at all to see him back next season if given a wild card. He finished 5th last year after a bad injury and little to no pre season 
Was World Champion very recently. I think it would be A. very harsh not to give him at least one last shot & B. silly to just assume he wouldn't be a contender anyway. 

People here are forever predicting who's going to do what next season but there are often a lot of surprises, No one woulda have predicted Nicki the first year he won it,  Greg in 2010, Tai in 2013. Same as everyone assumed Holder and Lindback would be top 3 in 2013 after the way they rode in 2012. Many Thought Doyle would walk it last year... The list goes on. You just dont know.

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, Mark said:

There is no chance of Hancock riding a race like Lambert did to beat Lindgren at Teterow.  That was exciting to watch. 

Maybe so but Greg would have had more than a stick after his first 4 rides

I don't think Greg is "done" yet with speedway at the top level inc the GPs. I hope they give him a wildcard and he is in for the season. He can still surprise a lot of people and with much of speedway being "in the mind", age is just another number. If he can still make those trademark starts he will win 50% of his races and that is doing well.

• Like 1