British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Annual Norwich Lunch

The annual Norwich Speedway lunch is rapidly approaching. The date this year is November 3, 2019. For full details contact organiser Pam Hedge on 01603 742466 or 07885 198845

Is anyone visiting this annual event? It usually attracts quite a few riders - past and present.

I've been to the Norwich lunch every year for the last 15 years or so. As you say, gustix, a lot of former riders normally turn up, though, sadly, they are getting fewer and fewer every year. Amongst the regulars normally are Ove Fundin, Trevor Hedge, Ginger Abigail, Gavin Hedge, Ray Bales, Bert Harkins and Terry Stone. Len Read was also a regular but missed last year, though as he is over 100 now, I think he can be excused. Other well-known speedway personalities, such as the announcer Terry Ripo and "Hawkeye", Tony Hurren, are also regulars.

it is a great occasion. The food is always excellent and the company brilliant. It's non-stop speedway chat and nostalgia for about four or five hours! Well worth going to if you can make it.

Edited by norbold
Correcting damn predictive text!
  • Like 3

Sounds great , wish I could make it. One question is Billy Bales ever in attendance these days-not sure of Billy's health situation.

Billy used to be a regular but hasn't been for 2 or 3 years due to his health.

Hard to believe young Billy is 90-fifth on the oldest surviving World Finalist List- hope his health problems are not too serious- I can just recall the end of his career in 1965  or 66-think he was riding for Sheffield at the very end.