British Speedway Forum

Lakeside legend. Best wishes to AJ for the future. Thanks for some terrific entertainment.

Top Class rider ,had a few nasty knocks but always gave it his best shot definitely World Class at his best..Wish him well in the future.

Very similar to TK from a Coventry viewpoint and potentially being a World Champion. Charismatic, Dependable and capable of beating anyone in the world day in day out. Happy Retirement AJ :)

• Like 3

Great rider absolutely fabulous to watch especially in his prime, I think the most naturally talented Swedish rider since Per and Henka and that's not meant as a dig at Tony R!! Just pure pure natural ability and a lovely guy to boot 

Edited by hagonshocker

AJ was a  real class act who had some very nasty injuries along the way, I  always looked forward to seeing him race he was world class for  such along period  of time good luck to Andreas on whatever you do in the future.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

Great rider absolutely fabulous to watch especially in his prime, I think the most naturally talented Swedish rider since Per and Henka and that's not meant as a dig at Tony R!! Just pure pure natural ability and a lovely guy to boot 

Never rated Rickardsson.

On 8/27/2019 at 5:03 PM, racers and royals said:

Andreas Jonsson has announced his retirement- thanks for the memories we will have AJ

Some of his merits: 7x Individual Swedish champion, 5x Swedish team champion, 9 grand prix wins, 3x Speedway world cup gold medals.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, ChrisSimpson said:

Very similar to TK from a Coventry viewpoint and potentially being a World Champion. Charismatic, Dependable and capable of beating anyone in the world day in day out. Happy Retirement AJ :)

While I wish AJ all the best in his retirement, I don't think you can compare him to TK from a Coventry viewpoint. TK was a one club man

• Confused 1

Good memories of AJ. Happy retirement.

Watching him at Arena when he missed the gate was a joy to behold.

Enjoy your retirement AJ  - you have left me with many great memories.

The plaudits of the previous posters say it all. Not many riders go through a whole career with barely a bad word said about them but everyone liked AJ.

AJ - A massive talent, and thoroughly nice bloke. Leigh Lanham said his favourite times in the sport were riding No 2 at Lakeside with AJ at No1. Fantastic team rider . It was always amusing to see AJ coming off bend 2 and pointing to where he wanted Leigh to go, left or right, Leigh would go there and AJ would bring him home. One thing many people didn’t see was that he was meticulously organised and always treated his mechanics extremely well.

All good things come to an end. Sorry to see AJ go but as has been said, he has taken a lot of knocks and I am glad to see him leave in one piece, and while he is still relatively near the top.

He still rides at No1 in my dream team though.

• Like 4

Always came across as a thoroughly nice bloke as well as a very talented rider. Maybe not quite good enough to be a world champion (very few are!) but a mainstay in the GPs for many years.

Have a long and happy retirement AJ and thanks for the memories. So glad he's come through it relatively unscathed.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, iainb said:

While I wish AJ all the best in his retirement, I don't think you can compare him to TK from a Coventry viewpoint. TK was a one club man

I only meant from the point of view of that he could have been World Champion mate.  TK was a Bee through and through :)

• Like 1

AJ was always my favourite rider I loved watching him at Lakeside especially watching him not make the start and work his way to the front normally flying around the fence. Top bloke aswell, all in all a real class act.