British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1948 Queries

racers and royals  == A slick move on your part to help your 'dedicated' detraction of me. That is to Post my latest comment first then place an earlier comment in second place. It of course gave a complete reversal of the point I was making. 

Edited by Guest

Fellow 1948 enthusiasts may be interested in a film clip featuring Vic Duggan riding in a grass speedway meet at St Austell that can be found on You Tube, search West Country Gazette.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gustix said:

racers and royals  == A slick move on your part to help your 'dedicated' detraction of me. That is to Post my latest comment first then place an earlier comment in second place. It of course gave a complete reversal of the point I was making. 

Irrespective of which order i quoted them doesn’t change the facts that

1 initially you said what’s the point of all this research- no one  is interested.

2 as soon as you found out he was doing it to complete Speedway researcher years records  it became the best thing since sliced bread !!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Irrespective of which order i quoted them doesn’t change the facts that

1 initially you said what’s the point of all this research- no one  is interested.

2 as soon as you found out he was doing it to complete Speedway researcher years records  it became the best thing since sliced bread !!!

Surely the point is obvious? I had no idea who Dave Allan was or why he was researching for the items he mentioned.What he was doing came to light in the response by BL65 and as a result I realised my early comments needed clarification, the fact I had misunderstood his research queries. Hence my response to illustrate th fact that I had not understood the reason for his research which it transpired was The Speedway Researcher, a group that I have had dealings with many times over the years, especially with it founder Jim Henry with whom I often exchange emails in regard to various old-time speedway happenings.

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, gustix said:

Surely the point is obvious? I had no idea who Dave Allan was or why he was researching for the items he mentioned.

So? Is that important? Of course not - it is totally irrelevant. It doesn't - or shouldn't - matter why someone is record-keeping.

Yes, it is nice when somebody is trying to produce something for public use, but even if it is just for personal use, it shouldn't be deemed useless because it doesn't benefit you. If somebody gets on here and asks a question for whatever reason, I do my best to provide an answer if I can, however trivial the question may seem. I certainly don't fill the thread with dismissive statements and pointless interrogation.

My own website has developed into a valuable public resource, but when I first started keeping records, it was only for my own personal use. So, your point is?

Steve

• Like 3

The reason Gustix is not someone for me who posts interesting stuff. Right here he is trying to rewrite history when the facts speak for themselves

On 8/30/2019 at 4:45 PM, norbold said:

On the top page of the "Years Gone By" section of this Forum, there are no fewer than 10 new threads started by you.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, iris123 said:

Most withut a reply, unless gustix replies to himself. So maybe he does have a point, and nobody is interested ?:P at least in what he posts !!!

Indeed there is a sparsity of replies in regard to the 10 threads. However, they have attracted many views. As I have  previously mentioned they were all feature-type items to which apart from creating interest as a past speedway happening did not need any comment response.

Maybe that is your forte then John. Commenting on other peoples threads,you always seem to come over as a bit of a whacko, quite probably unintentionally. This thread is a prime example 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gustix said:

As I have  previously mentioned they were all feature-type items to which apart from creating interest as a past speedway happening did not need any comment response.

Well, when a person asks a simple question on here, the only responses required are ones that are attempting to answer the question.

Comments debating the value of the question, or worse still, the identity and motives of the questioner, are not actually required. :nono:

Steve

• Like 1

Are we all finished? Good, I'll continue...

These are in track order:

08/08 California - date only - did anything take place?

29/08 California Scratch Races - ANY RESULT(S) OR OUTRIGHT WINNER(S)?

12/09 California - date only - did anything take place?

10/10 California - date only - did anything take place?

13/06 Eastbourne Scratch Races - ANY RESULT(S) OR OUTRIGHT WINNER(S)?

27/06 Eastbourne Handicap - ANY RESULT(S) OR OUTRIGHT WINNER(S)?

23/10 Edinburgh v Fleetwood - fixture only - CONFIRM DATE, EVENT AND RESULT

03/05 Exeter Speedway Riders Championship QR tie between Wally Green & Bert Roger - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

24/06 Middlesbrough Speedway Riders Championship QR tie between Frank Hodgson & Jack Biggs - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

29/04 Plymouth Speedway Riders Championship QR tie between Pete Lansdale, Alf Bottoms & Jack Freeman - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

25/04 Rye House Best Pairs - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

23/05 Rye House v World Select - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

06/06 Rye House Arthur Flack’s Team v Sid Clarke's Team - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

04/07 Rye House - date only - did anything take place?

15/08 Rye House v Eastbourne - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

12/09 Rye House Best Pairs - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

20/04 Southampton Speedway Riders Championship QR winner Jimmy Squibb - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

18/05 Southampton Silver Trophy winner Stan Hodson - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

01/06 Southampton v Hanley (NL Div 3) Rained Off - CONFIRM DATE

28/05 Wombwell Speedway Riders Championship QR winner ? Rogers - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

2 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

13/06 Eastbourne Scratch Races - ANY RESULT(S) OR OUTRIGHT WINNER(S)?

27/06 Eastbourne Handicap - ANY RESULT(S) OR OUTRIGHT WINNER(S)?

23/10 Edinburgh v Fleetwood - fixture only - CONFIRM DATE, EVENT AND RESULT ?

03/05 Exeter Speedway Riders Championship QR tie between Wally Green & Bert Roger - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

24/06 Middlesbrough Speedway Riders Championship QR tie between Frank Hodgson & Jack Biggs - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

29/04 Plymouth Speedway Riders Championship QR tie between Pete Lansdale, Alf Bottoms & Jack Freeman - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

20/04 Southampton Speedway Riders Championship QR winner Jimmy Squibb - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

18/05 Southampton Silver Trophy winner Stan Hodson - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

01/06 Southampton v Hanley (NL Div 3) Rained Off - CONFIRM DATE

28/05 Wombwell Speedway Riders Championship QR winner ? Rogers - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

Eastbourne

13/06 - Scratch and handicap races (briefly reported in the Sussex Agricultural Express)
Match Race - Wally Green beat George Newton
In heat 4 of the Eastbourne Handicap, Eric Dunn (Hastings) crashed and received fatal injuries.

27/06
Match Race  - Wally Green beat Buddy Fuller 72.2
Arlington Scratch Race - Green, Gray, Fuller, Osborne
Eastbourne Handicap - Osborne, Gray, Charlie Dugard

Edinburgh - the report on the meeting on 16/10 v Glasgow in Track News Weekly Illustrated stated that this match would "ring down the curtain on Monarchs' first season".  It had been announced in TNWI 10/07/48 that the fixture v Fleetwood had been brought forward to 3rd July.

Exeter 29/04 - according to the report in Track News Weekly Illustrated there was a tie between Green and Bert Roger for first place

Middlesbrough 24/06 - according to Track News Weekly Illustrated Hodgson beat Biggs in a run-off to take the £50 prize for first place

Plymouth 29/04 - according to a programme and the report in Track News Weekly Illustrated this was a three-way tie

Southampton
20/04 Jimmy Squibb 14, Jock Grierson 13, Alf Bottoms & Bob Oakley 12
18/05 Stan Hodson 15, Bert Roger 13, Cyril Roger 12
01/06 Rained off, following wet weather and a further downpour at 6.00 p.m.

Wombwell 28/05 - The winner was Bert Roger with 14 points (Track News Weekly Illustrated)

Edited by BL65
Additional information.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

25/04 Rye House Best Pairs - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

In the excellent book '70 Years of Rye House Speedway' by Norman Jacobs, this meeting is described as the Novice Knock-Out Championships.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, daveallan81 said:

15/08 Rye House v Eastbourne - CONFIRM DATE AND RESULT

15/08 Rye House 53 Eastbourne 31 (Speedway World)

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:19 PM, BL65 said:

In the excellent book '70 Years of Rye House Speedway' by Norman Jacobs, this meeting is described as the Novice Knock-Out Championships.

The meeting was the Rye House Best Pairs. The Novice Knock-Out Championship took place before the main event. I do have the filled in programme for the meeting but it is very messy with lots of alterations and almost illegible! The winning pair were A. Briggs and Stan Clark, both replacements for the programmed pair of Frank Bettis and Reg Craven.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 2

6 June A Flack's Team v. S Clark's Team. A Flack's team won 28-26 (nine heat match).

• Like 1