British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1948 Queries

On 9/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, daveallan81 said:

08/08 California - date only - did anything take place?

yes - abandoned due to rain after 6 races (Wok Times 13/8)

29/08 California Scratch Races - ANY RESULT(S) OR OUTRIGHT WINNER(S)?

Winners of the four competetitions were: Boyd, Peck, Peck, Newell (from completed prog)

12/09 California - date only - did anything take place?

yes - abandoned due to rain after 7 races (Wok Times 17/9)

10/10 California - date only - did anything take place?

Winners of the four competetitions were: Sims, Leonard, Portsmouth, Leonard (from completed prog)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Were the two abandoned events scratch races?

I think they were same format, and first co petition would have been completed  but I haven't got that detail in my notes

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I think they were same format, and first co petition would have been completed  but I haven't got that detail in my notes

Thanks. Good work as always.

A small batch from Dublin Santry if anyone can add anything:

08/08 v Eastbourne - CONFIRM DATE & RESULT

22/08 Date only - did anything take place?

05/09 Midland Select - CONFIRM DATE & RESULT

12/09 v Belfast match postponed with an individual event replacing (?)

2 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Thanks. Good work as always.

A small batch from Dublin Santry if anyone can add anything:

08/08 v Eastbourne - CONFIRM DATE & RESULT

22/08 Date only - did anything take place?

05/09 Midland Select - CONFIRM DATE & RESULT

12/09 v Belfast match postponed with an individual event replacing (?)

08/08 Santry 36 Eastbourne Tigers 35
22/08 Santry Saints 40 Hanley 26
05/09 Santry 48 Midland Select 23
12/09 Mike Tams and Vic Pitcher both scored 11.  Pitcher beat Tams in the top scorers' race.

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks.

My final conundrum concerns the third division North v South 21st Anniversary Cup.

It appears that the two semi finals were Yarmouth v Hull and Southampton v Hastings, with Southampton going on to defeat Hull in the final at Cradley Heath.

However I have 4 ties which don't seem to lead anywhere for the various winners: Exeter bt. Plymouth, Coventry bt. Poole, Tamworth bt. Cradley Heath and Hanley bt. Wombwell.

What's going on? 

On 9/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, norbold said:

The meeting was the Rye House Best Pairs. The Novice Knock-Out Championship took place before the main event. I do have the filled in programme for the meeting but it is very messy with lots of alterations and almost illegible! The winning pair were A. Briggs and Stan Clark, both replacements for the programmed pair of Frank Bettis and Reg Craven.

I wonder why Reg Craven pulled-out? Ironically, he received fatal injuries the following night at Poole.

1 hour ago, daveallan81 said:

Excellent, thanks.

My final conundrum concerns the third division North v South 21st Anniversary Cup.

It appears that the two semi finals were Yarmouth v Hull and Southampton v Hastings, with Southampton going on to defeat Hull in the final at Cradley Heath.

However I have 4 ties which don't seem to lead anywhere for the various winners: Exeter bt. Plymouth, Coventry bt. Poole, Tamworth bt. Cradley Heath and Hanley bt. Wombwell.

What's going on? 

The meetings involving two-legged contests between Exeter/Plymouth, Coventry/Poole, Tamworth/Cradley Heath and Hanley/Wombwell are referred to in a couple of programmes as the 'Speedway Anniversary Cup'.  The Plymouth programme describes the meeting v Exeter as 'Round One'.  However, if it was intended to proceed further with the competition then perhaps the greatly delayed staging of the Cradley Heath v Tamworth leg at Hanley might have caused it to fizzle out.  The one-leg North v South Cup, with a final at a neutral track, appears to have been a separate competition from the Anniversary Cup.

3 hours ago, BL65 said:

The meetings involving two-legged contests between Exeter/Plymouth, Coventry/Poole, Tamworth/Cradley Heath and Hanley/Wombwell are referred to in a couple of programmes as the 'Speedway Anniversary Cup'.  The Plymouth programme describes the meeting v Exeter as 'Round One'.  However, if it was intended to proceed further with the competition then perhaps the greatly delayed staging of the Cradley Heath v Tamworth leg at Hanley might have caused it to fizzle out.  The one-leg North v South Cup, with a final at a neutral track, appears to have been a separate competition from the Anniversary Cup.

A decent theory for sure.

The Speedway Researcher Hastings file lists the 16/08 Southampton v Hastings fixture (at Poole) as the Anniversary Cup but the second leg (26/08 at Plymouth) as the North v South Anniversary Cup.

The Yarmouth file has the tie with Hull as North v South (Cup) and the Hull file states North v South Cup Semi Final.

6 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

A decent theory for sure.

The Speedway Researcher Hastings file lists the 16/08 Southampton v Hastings fixture (at Poole) as the Anniversary Cup but the second leg (26/08 at Plymouth) as the North v South Anniversary Cup.

The Yarmouth file has the tie with Hull as North v South (Cup) and the Hull file states North v South Cup Semi Final.

The answer is provided in an article in Track News Weekly Illustrated Volume 2, Number 2, which stated:

North v South Cup

To fill in the vacant dates made by the withdrawal of Halifax from the league table a North v South Competition has been arranged, and is to be included in the Third Division fixture lists, with the title of the competition being North v South Twenty-First Speedway Anniversary Cup.

The competition will consist of the teams in the third division playing each other in pairs as scheduled below (being divided into a north and south section) once home and away, the winner of each section being the team with the greatest aggregate of race points in its home and away fixture.  In the event of a draw the teams shall meet in a deciding match on a neutral track nominated by the Speedway Control Board.  The pairings and number of heats shall be in accordance with supplementary Regulation No. 532 in Appendix C to the Speedway Regulations.  The final contest shall consist of the winning team from the South Section meeting the winning team of the North Section in one match to be held on a neutral track nominated by the Speedway Control Board and the team scoring the highest points being the winner.

Schedule
South:- 
Tuesday, May 11th, Southampton v Hastings; Wednesday, June 9th, Hastings v Southampton; Thursday, May 13th, Plymouth v Exeter; Monday, May 24th, Exeter v Plymouth; Saturday, July 31st, Coventry v Poole; Monday, August 9th, Poole v Coventry.
North:- 
Thursday, May 6th, Stoke v Wombwell; Friday, June 4th, Wombwell v Stoke; Friday, May 21st, Cradley Heath v Tamworth; Wednesday, July 28th, Tamworth v Cradley Heath; Tuesday, August 17th, Yarmouth v Hull; Saturday, August 21st, Hull v Yarmouth.

• Like 2