British Speedway Forum

43 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Racing was good but the facilities for supporters are dreadful for a track that’s been around for quite a while 

Reasons ?

Bearing in mind the facilities are designed for their normal attendances.

I assume you're a Peterborough fan so mentioning grass banking would be an own goal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Reasons ?

Bearing in mind the facilities are designed for their normal attendances.

I assume you're a Peterborough fan so mentioning grass banking would be an own goal.

The racing was absolutely top class no doubt about that.

Somerset is what it is a great track, good facilities built out of nothing in the past decade or so.

What let it down a bit last night and is feedback to Promoters for the future is the lost opportunity in increased vendors on the tarmac area top of back straight.

One burger van, a hot drink stall and 2 stand alone portaloos didn't cut it, nor the late arrival of an ice cream van as the sun set.

It was an opportunity lost for 3-4 more food outlets, a mobile bar and a better Toilet arrangement and the space is there.

The Car Park that seemed chaos on arrival actually got people out and away reletively quickly.

Much good but just a few improvements needed to improve spectator comfort.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Theres a good possibility that it wont be to long in the future that the grass banking at Peterborough has a fence around and a patio layed on it. 

• Like 1

I suspect Birmingham Brummies surprised quite a few with their performance - proud of Adam & Tero.

Congratulations to the Glasgow pairing on their success.

• Like 3

My only complaint was the stupid parking arrangements for the coaches.

I got there early and parked right next to the roadway for a quick exit. Got out only to find a rows of coaches parked along the only road.Total madness.

Luckily for me, I had a space next to me and behind that. With the help of Rory Schlein I managed to reverse out, and used the contractors/farm road to get out,followed by Rory!

Well done Glasgow,thoroughly deserved win. Great Final race.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Great meeting with lots of passing, only boring thing was Cook and Jensen head and shoulders above everyone else. 

Boring?........Did they not contribute to some of the passing in this great meeting?  Can’t please anyone these days. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mike.Butler said:

that's a bit harsh

Why is that harsh

i said the racing was good because generally Somerset is a good racing track but facilities for big events need numerous toilets, fast food establishments and good seated accommodation with roofs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobC said:

My only complaint was the stupid parking arrangements for the coaches.

I got there early and parked right next to the roadway for a quick exit. Got out only to find a rows of coaches parked along the only road.Total madness.

Luckily for me, I had a space next to me and behind that. With the help of Rory Schlein I managed to reverse out, and used the contractors/farm road to get out,followed by Rory!

Well done Glasgow,thoroughly deserved win. Great Final race.

Suspect the coaches parked where they were told, have been plenty of places where "total madness " car drivers have made it impossible to get out with the coach:D

• Like 1

Well done Cookie and Rasser. Zummerzet is a great track.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Why is that harsh

i said the racing was good because generally Somerset is a good racing track but facilities for big events need numerous toilets, fast food establishments and good seated accommodation with roofs.

The first set of toilets are situated , by the track shop on the fourth bend, the second set in the clubhouse both including disabled loos, and temporary ones put on the back straight I believe.I

6 hours ago, Buttons said:

The first set of toilets are situated , by the track shop on the fourth bend, the second set in the clubhouse both including disabled loos, and temporary ones put on the back straight I believe.I

Hope the last set were removed before racing commenced.:D Would be inCONVENIENT riders having to go round them.

Edited by ShyTalk
  • Haha 1

I always enjoy the pairs at Somerset but I do agree the facilities need improving for big meetings. 

Whem I first went there was a hog roast and cider was dispensed by rucksacks by people going into the crowd but both those have disappeared. 

A couple of years ago I purchased a awful overpriced burger and the can of cider was warm. So I’ve never purchased anything in the stadium again. The queue for the clubhouse food always puts me off as I want to watch the racing. 

The lighting around the stadium needs improvement too especially as the ground is uneven. 

I thought the programme was excellent and good value too and the racing was outstanding which for me is the most important thing.    

• Like 1

The racing is the most important thing but we are in 2019, poor facilities is one of the reasons British speedway is struggling. They don’t have to be Premier League football stadium standard but the basics shouldn’t be hard to get right ie proper and safe lighting, adequate toilets and food/drink outlets etc. However good the speedway might be you are unlikely to keep newbies coming back with poor facilities. 

• Like 2

I guess as the hancocks own the catering and enjoy the profits they are loathe to getting outside caterers in for one night only. 

Pretty short sighted imo

• Like 1