British Speedway Forum

What a wonderful evenings entertainment , different gravy to the drivel we had to sit through 24 hours later in Cardiff . Almost every heat had superb racing , culminating in a pulsating final , though I did fear Rasser had blown it , but he fought back to pip Nicholls on the line , sparking wild celebrations among the substantial Glaswegian travelling support . We even had Cookie and Rasser travel with us to Cardiff , on our bus , after the meeting . Poor Rasser was a sorry looking sight at 7 o clock the following morning haha . Best Pairs meeting , not just because we won , for many a year . And who cares if you need to queue for a slash when you get a track and racing like that .

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Paulco said:

What a wonderful evenings entertainment , different gravy to the drivel we had to sit through 24 hours later in Cardiff . Almost every heat had superb racing , culminating in a pulsating final , though I did fear Rasser had blown it , but he fought back to pip Nicholls on the line , sparking wild celebrations among the substantial Glaswegian travelling support . We even had Cookie and Rasser travel with us to Cardiff , on our bus , after the meeting . Poor Rasser was a sorry looking sight at 7 o clock the following morning haha . Best Pairs meeting , not just because we won , for many a year . And who cares if you need to queue for a slash when you get a track and racing like that .

Cracking meeting Paulco. Good crowd, good weather. Top marks to the bar staff in the clubhouse for doing an excellent job. Hopefully they connect the wires on the speaker on the 2nd bend for 2020:D:D.

I was a bit negative on where this meeting was being held toward the back end of September . This was due mainly to the lack of peripheral lighting and no seating facilities with a lots of fans having to stand on a grass bank. Fortunately the weather gods shone down on the event which meant climate and ground conditions were nowhere near as poor as they could have been. The track was good helped in no small part by the cool conditions that quickly ensued when the sun went down. Some of the racing was top drawer as it usually is and the best pair by some margin won on the night, well done Cookie and Rasser two riders close to Comets fans hearts and just reward for Glasgow who are trying to drag this great sport into the 21st century.

Like other people I do believe the back straight facilities could be better, first thing we were met with when we went to the catering van was there are no chips because the fryers are not working ! , we didn't bother eating as the queue at the clubhouse catering outlet results in a wait spanning too many races. There is no excuse really for the faulty PA system on turn 2.  I do believe Somerset do not try as hard now to make  sure all the bases are covered  because they get this meeting without doing anything extra or special. Personally I thought the presentation was also only average with multiple errors re riders names etc.

The quality of racing made this an exciting spectacle and from that point of view it was an enjoyable spectacle played out in front of a very decent crowd. However like speedway in general the ancillary stuff could have easily been better which would have been appreciated.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eric i said:

Did Scunthorpe miss out on the semi finals due to some sort of count back?

I was wondering on the night how they decided this.

28 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

I was wondering on the night how they decided this.

yes, sheffield got through as they had two 7,2s to our zero

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

yes, sheffield got through as they had two 7,2s to our zero

On the night, a tie was to be decided:

1 Who beat who

2 The team that had the highest heat score (7-2, 6-3, 5-4)

3 By ballot

Sheffield had two last places to Scunthorpe’s one, in a tournament based on team-riding, I wonder if ‘least last places’ would be a fairer way of deciding a tie.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, NeilWatson said:

On the night, a tie was to be decided:

1 Who beat who

2 The team that had the highest heat score (7-2, 6-3, 5-4)

3 By ballot

Sheffield had two last places to Scunthorpe’s one, in a tournament based on team-riding, I wonder if ‘least last places’ would be a fairer way of deciding a tie.

Race off for a tie 

On 9/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, SteelShoe said:

I was a bit negative on where this meeting was being held toward the back end of September . This was due mainly to the lack of peripheral lighting and no seating facilities with a lots of fans having to stand on a grass bank. Fortunately the weather gods shone down on the event which meant climate and ground conditions were nowhere near as poor as they could have been. The track was good helped in no small part by the cool conditions that quickly ensued when the sun went down. Some of the racing was top drawer as it usually is and the best pair by some margin won on the night, well done Cookie and Rasser two riders close to Comets fans hearts and just reward for Glasgow who are trying to drag this great sport into the 21st century.

Like other people I do believe the back straight facilities could be better, first thing we were met with when we went to the catering van was there are no chips because the fryers are not working ! , we didn't bother eating as the queue at the clubhouse catering outlet results in a wait spanning too many races. There is no excuse really for the faulty PA system on turn 2.  I do believe Somerset do not try as hard now to make  sure all the bases are covered  because they get this meeting without doing anything extra or special. Personally I thought the presentation was also only average with multiple errors re riders names etc.

The quality of racing made this an exciting spectacle and from that point of view it was an enjoyable spectacle played out in front of a very decent crowd. However like speedway in general the ancillary stuff could have easily been better which would have been appreciated.

Spot on

1 hour ago, Spiderman1 said:

Race off for a tie 

If the teams hadn't met earlier in the tournament that would be the fairest way.

In light of the good reports regarding the racing at Swindon, would it be a option? Could the facilities at Swindon cope ie viewing, car park, catering etc.

In terms of distance, anyone staying in the Cardiff or Bristol areas, the distance difference between travelling to Somerset versus travelling to Swindon is relatively small (Cardiff-Somerset 60miles, Cardiff-Swindon 76miles/ Bristol-Swindon 48miles-Bristol-Somerset 39miles) the main difference ,if the M5 on Friday night is anything to go by, getting to Swindon would be quicker. As an example,  We set off to Somerset with an ETA of 5.50 (according to the Sat-Nav) everything was fine until we got to the Bristol area and hit large traffic volumes. We watched in despair as the Sat-Nav ETA changed, by the time we got past Bristol we had a new ETA of 6.40 Phew!! That was 50mins of lost travelling time stuck in traffic on the M5.

I do hope Somerset consider improving their back straight, some terracing would be great, even if it's just dirt terracing ......

The problem with the back straight on a night meeting is the floodlights, the lights are on your eye level and it is difficult to see riders at the opposite end of the track. I understand that they can't be higher due to the proximity of the motorway. :unsure:

Will the cancellation of the 2021 Cardiff GP impact the staging of this meeting?

On 10/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Trees said:

I do hope Somerset consider improving their back straight, some terracing would be great, even if it's just dirt terracing ......

Somerset could improve a lot of things, toilets, terracing, seating and food establishments.

Racing is generally very good but it’s still just a track in a field with a nice clubhouse.