British Speedway Forum
LittleSpeed

Airhorn Thoughts

6 hours ago, chunky said:

The trouble is that while I respect the views of others, it doesn't mean that they are right - or have the right to stop others enjoying themselves.  I know that sounds harsh, but there are of course places where people SHOULDN'T be loud and obnoxious, such as walking down the street, on a bus, in a quiet park etc.  However, when you are at a sporting event, and you are supporting your favourites against the favourites of others, then it's all part of the fun!

If you ban air horns, then where does it stop?  Do we ban all noisemakers and instruments?  Shouting and cheering can be loud.  Do we ban them? Chants and war cries can annoy people. Do we ban them?  Should we just restrict it to polite applause?  I'm sure there are some miserable gits who would find THAT too much...

When I were a lad on t' terraces, I rigged up a large programme board with four or five air horns all connected to a single can.  Boy, I was loud, and the can used to last summat like four races!  Okay, slight exaggeration, but you get my drift...  Plus, I had a bugle (and I was pretty good on it, if I do say so myself!), and a very large and heavy bell.

Not long after I moved to the US, some rotten manky bahsta' broke into my dad's garage and stole the lot! :mad:  Thinking about it,  judging by his comments above, it was probably The White Knight!!! :rolleyes:

What made it worse was that they stole all my fishing gear, including some very old and rare (and very valuable) rods, but I digress....

Steve

Your air horns steve were part of the reason i stopped travelling on the Wimbledon away coaches, my ear drums couldn't handle the noise!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Your air horns steve were part of the reason i stopped travelling on the Wimbledon away coaches, my ear drums couldn't handle the noise!

Blimey! I remember them! Away coaches were the norm back then...alas no longer I suspect? Recall when Whity City won the league at Wolves and the number of subsidised coaches that hit Monmore Green and the terraces were a sea of red, white and blue! Wolves fans never knew what hit them!

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Blimey! I remember them! Away coaches were the norm back then...alas no longer I suspect? Recall when Whity City won the league at Wolves and the number of subsidised coaches that hit Monmore Green and the terraces were a sea of red, white and blue! Wolves fans never knew what hit them!

I was on one of them Steve. I also went on the Wimbledon coach to the BLRC at Belle Vue the night before. Those were the days!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gemini said:

Are you going to the British GP in Cardiff? If so prepare to be deafened. :D Air horns are great and help to create atmosphere but some tracks don't allow them.  You sound nice and conscientious so as long as you are pointing it upwards and not in someone's ear I would go ahead.  If you gradually find you're standing on your own  you will know other fans don't appreciate the noise. :P

We are going to the GP in Cardiff, so thank you for the heads up! Also thank you for your kind words, we do make sure it is pointed upwards and not straight at people etc, so thank you :)

Also thank you to everyone else for your comments too, very much appreciated :)

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

That's it, blame me! Miserable git... :angry:

51 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's it, blame me! Miserable git... :angry:

I've made a career out of being a miserable git!

I visited Belle vue recently and there is a full page in the programme of what is allowed at the meeting mostly to do with Health and safety  but a slight overkill on no food or drink allowed in the stadium. This I presume even means water, so buy your water at the bar for £1.90 a bottle.

The stadium is a complete no smoking area including e cigarettes , which is nice.

Cannot see a ban on air horns but trumpets, vuvuzelas, flags, scooters, frisbees , flares skateboards, etc etc are not allowed.

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I've made a career out of being a miserable git!

I feel the same! About me, I mean!

Having said that, there a few on the BSF who make me look happy and joyful...

13 hours ago, topaz325 said:

I visited Belle vue recently and there is a full page in the programme of what is allowed at the meeting mostly to do with Health and safety  but a slight overkill on no food or drink allowed in the stadium. This I presume even means water, so buy your water at the bar for £1.90 a bottle.

The stadium is a complete no smoking area including e cigarettes , which is nice.

Cannot see a ban on air horns but trumpets, vuvuzelas, flags, scooters, frisbees , flares skateboards, etc etc are not allowed.

Scooters I can understand. If Bomber is there, he would steal it, and see if it goes any quicker than his bikes! Of course, it might take him a time to get the setup right... :rolleyes:

I'll get me coat...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

You cant go to a motorsport venue and worry about noise..

We are unlucky at Kent and cant have them, but always tend to use em for away matches. Just adds that atmosphere.

Only protocol I follow is to aim the horn upwards so its not going straight into someone's ear..

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

You cant go to a motorsport venue and worry about noise..

But what if you can't hear the bikes? :blink:

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

Only protocol I follow is to aim the horn upwards so its not going straight into someone's ear..

Is that when are blowing it or when you are throwing it? :rofl:

Everyone should have a horn

13 hours ago, chunky said:

But what if you can't hear the bikes?

Get rid of those silly silencers and go back to wooden rattles (for the fans, not the bikes). :P

I remember getting through three air horn cannisters at the Wolves - Potters meeting at Monmore Green in 81.

No one complained, in fact I was actively encouraged by the large Potters following that day.

I recall that the racing was pretty dire, but controversial refereeing decisions and the closeness of the score kept everyone captivated. Mike Sampson (and I think Rob Lightfoot) came home for a 5 - 1 in heat 13 ahead of Neil Evitts to win the match for the Potters 40 - 38.

Happy days.

• Like 1