British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, stevebrum said:

Ipswich already confirmed in the play offs, along with Swindon, Poole and Wolves.

Other league results only go towards where in top 4 they all finish.

Yes Steve I know, I'm trying to avert another gavan meltdown,  that's all. Imagine the crowing if we get slaughtered live on TV next week:unsure:

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

Ashby and Adams are out and out club legends for Swindon.

Crump and Doyle are journeymen in comparison, without the same timeless commitment to the club.

Phil Crump a journeyman really ?????? he carried  weak Swindon teams at times and was a great team man you odviously did not see much of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badge said:

Yes Steve I know, I'm trying to avert another gavan meltdown,  that's all. Imagine the crowing if we get slaughtered live on TV next week:unsure:

If we get slaughtered we get slaughtered....ive always congratulated the other team......Poole have beaten us twice and Swindon destroyed us......only downside was Kurtz cheating

If its us v Poole we will be huge underdogs......though im sure somehow Mr Shovlar will have us a favourites............

1 hour ago, Badge said:

I get what you mean now, Thursday was the will we won’t we match. Thanks. :t:

18 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Phil Crump a journeyman really ?????? he carried  weak Swindon teams at times and was a great team man you odviously did not see much of him.

You put a smiley in the bottom right and it shows me DC2 that you don't really know what you are on about!!    .To speak to any fan since 1975 and  say Crump.(snr) was only a journeyman is laughable.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

You put a smiley in the bottom right and it shows me DC2 that you don't really know what you are on about!!    .To speak to any fan since 1975 and  say Crump.(snr) was only a journeyman is laughable.

I went to speedway from 1975 to 1978 and started again in 2005.

I remember Martin Ashby as a Swindon speedway legend in the 70s and Phil Crump riding for Bristol and Newport.

It was hard enough to accept Bob Kilby coming back from Oxford without you telling me that Crump became more of a legend than Ashby!

P.S. chill. :)

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks like a journeyman!

“The Crump family had a home in Bristol while Phil was racing in the British League, which he started doing in 1971 with the Crewe Kings. He also rode for the Newport Wasps, Wolverhampton Wolves, Oxford Cheetahs, Hackney Hawks, King's Lynn Stars, Ipswich Witches, Bristol Bulldogs and Swindon Robins during his British career.”

Crump’s Swindon meetings and points: 411, 4,254

Ashby’s Swindon meetings and points: 641, 5,476.5

Nobody who has any knowledge of Phil Crump's career would describe him as a journeyman. 

At his best he was world class.

Edited by Aces51

2 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Nobody who has any knowledge of Phil Crump's career would describe him as a journeyman. 

At his best he was world class.

Yes, apologies for my remark in that sense. I just remembered him riding for other teams.

Looks like he rode for 9, compared to Ashby’s 3.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

I went to speedway from 1975 to 1978 and started again in 2005.

I remember Martin Ashby as a Swindon speedway legend in the 70s and Phil Crump riding for Bristol and Newport.

It was hard enough to accept Bob Kilby coming back from Oxford without you telling me that Crump became more of a legend than Ashby!

P.S. chill. :)

So are you telling me Phil was not a legend? you missed the Crump Swindon years so how can you compare.To call him a journeyman was just laughable and as for Bob you need to take a chill pill he had to go to Exeter/Oxford that was out of his control.Because of those spells away from his beloved Swindon  it still did not spoil Kilb's legacy and he will fondly be remembered for ever.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

So are you telling me Phil was not a legend? you missed the Crump Swindon years so how can you compare.To call him a journeyman was just laughable and as for Bob you need to take a chill pill he had to go to Exeter/Oxford that was out of his control.Because of those spells away from his beloved Swindon  it still did not spoil Kilb's legacy and he will fondly be remembered for ever.

No, not saying Crump was not a legend.

Just taking issue with your view that he was more of a Swindon legend than Ashby.

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Phil Crump raced for the Witches? 

Didn't know that, must have been before I started going. 

So he did, 1972, for one meeting, anyone know why only one? 

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No, not saying Crump was not a legend.

Just taking issue with your view that he was more of a Swindon legend than Ashby.

They are in the seven and both are greats your opinion is valid .But  to say Crump was a journeyman is not correct agree totally DC2 crash was a great rider a pleasure to have seen him ride.