British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nendoc

Clive Featherby RIP

Announced on Eastern Daily Press twitter feed that Clive has passed away in Australia. Remember him from his Kings Lynn days.

Thoughts are with his family.

Edited by nendoc

Topic has been mentioned in YEARS GONE BY for several days. It is nice however to see yet another message of condolence.

I will put my message here-RIP Clive.

Great memories of Clive Featherby around Saddlebow Rd in years gone by. A thrill merchant indeed and not at all afraid of mixing it! My kind of speedway racer.

Always recall reading Malcolm Simmons saying that Clive's footrest was made from an old car starting handle two or three inches wider than anyone else's. It enabled him to drive hard underneath an opponent  and just lift their leg off the track as he went past.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Always recall reading Malcolm Simmons saying that Clive's footrest was made from an old car starting handle two or three inches wider than anyone else's. It enabled him to drive hard underneath an opponent  and just lift their leg off the track as he went past.

Seem to recall him beating Ivan Mauger at Saddlebow Road. Ivan on long unbeaten run until Clive steamed underneath on the first corner - looked to be as if he ran over Ivan's foot. Long time ago so memory may have faded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Seem to recall him beating Ivan Mauger at Saddlebow Road. Ivan on long unbeaten run until Clive steamed underneath on the first corner - looked to be as if he ran over Ivan's foot. Long time ago so memory may have faded.

If I rememeber he was only one of a few riders to beat Ivan that season (1971?)

One of speedways real hard men but the sort that brought the crowds in. A sad loss

Remember him and Jimmy Cox having a”set too” at Old Meadowbank in the sixties when he rode for Sheffield a real hard rider who took no prisoners.R.i.P.

• Like 1

Sad news indeed.  A stalwart of the Stars team for several years, he always gave 100% and was part of my teen years spent at Saddlebow Road every Saturday night. My condolences go to his family, he will always be part of the Stars family and will not be forgotten. Born in Kings Lynn, and rode for Kings Lynn, I had the pleasure of meeting him in Norwich a few years back at a World Speedway riders dinner.

I've only just found out this sad news, and wondered if anybody knows when the Memorial Service for him is to be held in the Hope Church in Norwich? I may have missed it, but would like to pay my last respects if possible.

• Like 1