British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Wolverhampton. Prem. 5th September 2019.

Well done Wolves outgated outrode us, they are a very good team, always looked a good team but riders that struggled earlier in the season due to coming back from injuries are now going well. As for us Holder got 16 for his team in Swedish play offs what happened. Klindt superb as usual this season, reserves awful. 

9 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Well done Wolves outgated outrode us, they are a very good team, always looked a good team but riders that struggled earlier in the season due to coming back from injuries are now going well. As for us Holder got 16 for his team in Swedish play offs what happened. Klindt superb as usual this season, reserves awful. 

I would think nobody in the playoffs would fear us at the moment .thj did improve in his last two rides but still failed to score 

Edited by ray c

A very poor performance by a team found wanting, I take nothing away from Wolves who rode as a team and were strong throughout. They out road and out muscled the pirates in every department. We just don’t seem to have that killer instinct and were simply blown away in the early heats. 

catch 22 we looked a better side with r/r for Richie leaving nico at reserve ending  up with nico only having 3 rides last night instead of plus 4 

• Like 1

Maybe but Nico was caught and passed by both Becker and Morris down the back straight and never troubled them after that. I just don’t think that we have the pedigree of riders that wolves and Swindon seem to have. jack and Brady will no doubt improve but Brady again was found wanting in Heat 15. I just don’t see that sharpness and mental ability to deal with the pressure. 

12 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well done Wolves fully deserved tonight reserve scores and r/r sums it up. 

R/R for Howarth only scored 2 more than what Kyle did last time.......hardly a meeting changing score lol..........i did say it would only make a couple of points difference yet somehow Shovlar thinks it decided the meeting........clueless

Matt Ford and Middlo need to hold their hands up and admit they have totally messed up the team this year.......started the season with Covatti and NBJ at reserve and somehow ended up with a rider who was sacked because he was poor for the team at the top of the league (Belle Vue) and another rider who has proved he is way past his best and isnt good enough (THJ)

Why when Worrall got injured did Poole not replace him and keep Covatti where he should have been all along at reserve

The reserves are the weakest of the top 4 by some way

You have riders in Kurtz and Holder who are so inconsistent and in Bradys case go missing when he is needed most.

Klindt has been the rider of the year by some way

Poole were lucky that Rory got injured............the only rider to have beaten Klindt up until that point, he would have faced him 3 more times and the score could have been much worse.

Poole beaten comfortably at home by 5 riders..................poor management has cost Poole the league...........although they should finish top they quite clearly are no match for Swindon or Wolves

They will no doubt pick us at Ipswich and it will be like Man City v Norwich......but being honest Poole are the only side over 2 legs that Ipswich could beat............trouble is the Poole team even Wells seem to like Foxhall

If anyone thinks R/R affected that result needs there heads checked

Funny how you pick up on that. The main point, and my praise for Wolves, was in the reserve department. 21 v 1. Poole are a better team than Wolves in the 1-5 but not at reserve. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. With hindsight I would have millions stashed away.

Wells had started OK but his recent form is pathetic. THJ is a gamble but no good going into the playoffs with r/r.

We should make the final if we finish top. Hope Swindon beat Wolves for a Swindon v Poole final. No doubt Swindon would come out as champions but we can’t say it’s been a bad season by being runners up. 

• Haha 1

I think the difference this year is that Poole have had to tighten their belts rather than spend money on changes, hence the lack of them. Despite being out of form I can’t see them not beating Ipswich in a semi final and even though they would then be underdogs in the final only a fool would write them off as they always seem to produce in Play Off finals. 

14 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I can say now we are not going to get anything. R/R for howarth 5 from 2 so far. 

Wolves need to keep Howarth out. Swindon will struggle against them in the final. 

Well done Wolves fully deserved tonight reserve scores and r/r sums it up. 

Certainly gone full circle. You can’t win meetings without scoring reserves and tonight proved it!

I said as soon as Howarth was missing that Wolves were far stronger and so it proved. They surely want him to stay injured because as a team they will score far more points. Paid 9 from his rides. 

Of course the reason Wolves won is because they outscored Pooles reserves by 1 point (gifted in heat 2) to paid 21. A massive gap the Poole top five couldn’t cover. In fact no team could cover that. Becker was excellent as he was last visit. Both he and Douglas had Wells and THJ for breakfast. Whilst the latter can be slightly excused as it was his first meeting, Wells has gone from bad to worse. In fact he never looked close to a point. THJ did have one go in heat 14 which he led for a lap before coming under pressure and then falling.

Best bet is to now get rid of Wells for what is left of the season. While we can’t replace him, we can use horse for course guests which is surely likely to do better.

Really though there was only one team in it and from the start Wolves were faster out of the starts. On a slick track we couldn’t make an impression. A bit of pirate pride kicked in to close the gap but were were always found wanting whenever we had a reserve in a heat. 

In heat 15 we needed a 5-1 to draw but Brady completely missed it and Klindt made two errors to allow the Wolves riders through. The correct result to be honest. Well done to Wolves. A A Formidable force.

3 posts where you mention that r/r made Wolves much stronger.........it didnt....it was 2 points compared to last time..........

Howarth could have scored 4 or 5 last night yes......but twice last season he scored 10 at Poole so we will never know......certainly didnt affect the result

But yes your reserves are poor ..............thats down to bad management ............Poole were far better with r/r for Worrall and Covatti at reserve and THJ was a total panic signing

And if Poole finish second that has to be a disappointing season......favourites before a wheel was turned...... to then come 2nd..................im sure Guardiola would be happy with second

I dont mind what happens to Ipswich now we have exceeded everyones expectations been a great season for us

On 9/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, Gavan said:

R/R always makes the opposition stronger and R/R always makes Poole weaker

Poole ran R/R for Worrall and then R/R for Josh..........all the time we were told that any team without its 7 riders will always be weaker...............Wolves rock up to Poole with 6 riders and the Poole mafia say they are stronger with 6..............its very tiresome to read the same old guff from the same people

It was like the Ipswich match.....earlier in the season Poole won at Ipswich with a weakened team and boy were we told..........they go back to Ipswich with a much stronger team..then moan that no Josh, while forgetting that Heeps was out......and we get told before the meeting that Ipswich were favourites........laughable

Anyway i think the loss of Howarth could go either way. Kyle got 6 at Poole earlier in the season........The 4 riders replacing him might get slightly more but i wouldnt say lots more....Thorsell and Morris were shocking last time

Think i got that pretty much spot on!

40 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Think i got that pretty much spot on!

Thorsell and Morris were not shocking this time! As I said before the meeting r/r for Howarth would be marginally stronger.

Edited by foreverblue

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Funny how you pick up on that. The main point, and my praise for Wolves, was in the reserve department. 21 v 1. Poole are a better team than Wolves in the 1-5 but not at reserve. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. With hindsight I would have millions stashed away.

Wells had started OK but his recent form is pathetic. THJ is a gamble but no good going into the playoffs with r/r.

We should make the final if we finish top. Hope Swindon beat Wolves for a Swindon v Poole final. No doubt Swindon would come out as champions but we can’t say it’s been a bad season by being runners up. 

Our top 5 is solid but Jack has consistently underperformed as he did last night, Brady started badly better now but paid 10 at home for him is poor, I excuse Josh last night as he has been brilliant this season as had Klindt. We had to get a 7th rider and I suggested Josh Auty who may not be the answer but neither is THJ. Maybe we should have got anyone who was above Covatti's average but below Worrall's so as to keep Covatti at reserve although he wasn't great last night either. Perhaps we can bounce back at Kings Lynn Monday. Plus from last nights results was Ipswich beating Swindon. We can still get top spot but we have made it more difficult.

Edited by foreverblue

12 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Thorsell and Morris were not shocking this time! As I said before the meeting r/r for Howarth would be marginally stronger.

Thorsell, the Swedish champion, scored 1,1,1,1 and 0. How is that not shocking? He best Wells, Douglas, Douglas and THJ. 

Morris got 11 from 7 not exactly a brilliant return as he got 3 in 15, which arguably had Schlein not been injured could be 8 from 6.